New CBBC/CBeebies Presentation

(18-03-2023, 03:34 PM)WhoOdyssey Wrote:  
(18-03-2023, 11:44 AM)“”cable Wrote:  were it to get investment, BBC Lit would be a better name these days.

“BBC Lit” would be an easy way to turn off any youth viewers, the term is pretty dated already!

That's sort of my point, the BBC are behind the times!
[-] The following 3 users Like cable's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, WhoOdyssey

(18-03-2023, 03:34 PM)WhoOdyssey Wrote:  
(18-03-2023, 11:44 AM)“”cable Wrote:  were it to get investment, BBC Lit would be a better name these days.

“BBC Lit” would be an easy way to turn off any youth viewers, the term is pretty dated already!
Meanwhile on Nickelodeon...
[-] The following 2 users Like LouBlu08's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, interestednovice

There's a reason they often use the shortened name Nick, lol.
[-] The following 3 users Like JAS84's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice

That's even worse than DEF II. What next - BBC Peng?

As for Nickelodeon, I associated that name with the TV channel and TV channel alone for a very long time, as a child of the 90s. I wouldn't be surprised if most of my generation didn't know there was such a thing as "a nickelodeon".
[-] The following 6 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • bkman1990, fanoftv, Former Member 406, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Ma76

Always a bad idea to name anything after a popular word of the day. I always think Belfast’s Cool FM is a really cringey name which has dated so badly. They might as well have called it Radio Trendy.

(19-03-2023, 03:09 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Always a bad idea to name anything after a popular word of the day. I always think Belfast’s Cool FM is a really cringey name which has dated so badly. They might as well have called it Radio Trendy.
Although I imagine those that listen day in day out probably don’t think about it. I never used to think the name ‘Top of the Pops’ was dated when it was still on, but on the rare occasion I heard Radio 2s ‘Pick of the Pops’ referenced I used to think it sounded really old fashioned.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jon's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Spencer, Transmission

(19-03-2023, 02:37 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  That's even worse than DEF II. What next - BBC Peng?

As for Nickelodeon, I associated that name with the TV channel and TV channel alone for a very long time, as a child of the 90s. I wouldn't be surprised if most of my generation didn't know there was such a thing as "a nickelodeon".
TBF, it was the most W1A type name I could think of... I was not being serious. 

Any kids with digital tv from the late 90s probably would or even they didn't would have had an awareness. I always associated Rugrats, Kenan and Kel and Hey Arnold as nickelodeon as the logo and name was shown graphically on the titles even when it was on CBBC/CITV - I was aware it was foreign/imported. When I finally got ONdigital in 2000 and finally got access to it - aged 9, it further reinforced the Nickelodeon branding. similar things with Cartoon Network e.g. The Powerpuff girls and the Cramp Twins - the branding was also all over toys/merchandise too. Hell, I also had South Park merchandise back then, and that was many years before it I would reach the age of its intended audience and that was Comedy Central branded with the city towers logo, even though it was years before Comedy Central became a thing in the UK with its C look. The Bigger, Longer and uncut movie would have been in cinemas around then (And that CC was mentioned on who shot mr burns pt2 Simpsons episode which aired on the BBC in 2000).

Thats the problem with the teen market, 12-16 is a window in time, you experience these things when you are that age, even a year or 2 difference is enough for that age to have differing interests and experiences to their peers. branding something aimed at them, after a while does become cringe as things move on. T4 worked effortlessly for many years, and their shows captured the attention of young adults and teens equally, for something that was aimed at 16-24. I don't think BBC Switch worked at all as it was on at the time day you would be meeting up with your mates, and you probably used a PVR to catch up with other shows. If anything it was trying too hard - I only recall Kyle XY being on it and that was repeated a lot back then on Trouble TV -yes that would have probably been its first terrestrial airing but it was hardly fresh, and didn't capture the moment as say skins and The Inbetweeners did for my age group.
[-] The following 2 users Like cable's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, interestednovice

BBC Switch was arguably an interesting experiment to try and target the inbetween demographic of CBBC and BBC Three, with both of them being heavily promoted on BBC Switch.

I'm more surprised that the 12-16 slots of BBC Three aren't so much branded as such (nor are they really presented as the zone for that audience, with little bits of "The Next Step" here and there, plus a new show that's produced by BBC Studios Kids & Family but shifted to BBC Three instead of CBBC).
[-] The following 8 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Jeff, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

Yeah, if they want 10 year olds to watch Phoenix Rise, it should be on CBBC. It's going to attract the wrong audience.
[-] The following 3 users Like JAS84's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, SlimyTrain

I think 10 year olds would be the wrong audience for Phoenix Rise. Reading the press pack it seems to be aimed at a secondary school audience - more Ackley Bridge than CBBC. BBC3 feels like the most appropriate channel for it
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 5 users Like excel99's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Ma76