Just noticed that CNN has missed a gorgeous handover opportunity in its DC output last week.
Thing is, in a rare occasion, both The Lead and the Situation Room aired from the same studio D, with Jake finishing in the "three vertical screens" section, and Wolf Blitzer or Alex Marquardt anchoring in the "wide video walls" section. They could have easily done what they now do on Saturdays when Victor&Amara pass it to Fredericka in the other corner of Studio 71, but alas.
They did wide shots after The Situation Room, featuring one of the three vertical screens, but it would be much more effective if done between The Lead and TSR.
[Image: image.png]

On a separate note, Fareed appears to have settled in the "aquarium", as Jon Stewart called 21V in the beginning of his interview with Fareed. (Yes, of all the shows to invite Jon Stewart, it was foreign affairs - focused Fareed Zakaria GPS.) It's now the fourth time in row that they've used it - my suggestion is that it brings them more freedom in choosing the time to record the show during weekdays (if they do), with GPS previous home, 19Z, heavily occupied during parts of weekday evenings.
Also, they have continued the nice habit of using the video walls in a meaningful way, as now we can see Fareed talking to guests displayed on those walls (although good old split screen was used as well).
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

The new studio works well for GPS. Gives a lot more continuity compared to before between the taped and live segments.

Also think 19Z is going to be the home of News Central and is pre-occupied for rehearsals. JB tweeted a rehearsal photo and there’s a piece of kit that says 19Z on it.

Also for the Lead and Sit Room - Wolf does the first block in a flash studio to give them time to reset the studio. I think you’re right that they could plan it for an on camera handoff, but the camera man would be visible behind Tapper.
[-] The following 8 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Kojak, London Lite, matthieu1221, Newsroom, oscillon, thevaran

(26-03-2023, 04:37 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  The new studio works well for GPS. Gives a lot more continuity compared to before between the taped and live segments.

Also think 19Z is going to be the home of News Central and is pre-occupied for rehearsals. JB tweeted a rehearsal photo and there’s a piece of kit that says 19Z on it.

Also for the Lead and Sit Room - Wolf does the first block in a flash studio to give them time to reset the studio. I think you’re right that they could plan it for an on camera handoff, but the camera man would be visible behind Tapper.
Wow! That's an incredible observation you've made there! Probably an exclusive as nobody knew where it would originate from, not Byers, Newscaststudio, no one! 

Congrats!
[-] The following 6 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, EastCoast, interestednovice, Kojak, London Lite, matthieu1221

I glanced at CNN earlier and caught Amara Walker ion for Kate Bolduan on 'AT THIS HOUR'. Would anyone have seen whether it was from Hudson Yards or Atlanta?

I recall Fredricka Whitfield would occasionally complete her Weekend shifts then head up to New York to cover the same show.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • interestednovice

Question: When Amanpour gets cut-off due to an important news story like now, do they air a delayed telecast version of it or just scrap the episode for CNN International and tape for PBS broadcast?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bakamann's post:
  • interestednovice

(27-03-2023, 06:39 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Question: When Amanpour gets cut-off due to an important news story like now, do they air a delayed telecast version of it or just scrap the episode for CNN International and tape for PBS broadcast?

I remember that recently the entire episode was tape delayed till 6pm ET because there was a major news conference (special counsel for Biden docs) at 1pm ET. Usually, however, they just ditch it (like they did pre-pandemic when there was endless Trump developments or more recently for Tyre Nichols presser).

Did Amanpour mention the cut-off on-air? I missed it, but I assume that the cut-off was due to Netanyahu statement? Or was it shooting press conference and domestic simulcast?

(27-03-2023, 06:27 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I glanced at CNN earlier and caught Amara Walker ion for Kate Bolduan on 'AT THIS HOUR'. Would anyone have seen whether it was from Hudson Yards or Atlanta?

I recall Fredricka Whitfield would occasionally complete her Weekend shifts then head up to New York to cover the same show.

I've just tuned into Isa Soares Tonight (With Lynda Kinkade presenting) and Amara is in a correspondent role and she is listed as being reporting fron Atlanta so doing At This Hour from there as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TMD_24's post:
  • Newsroom

(27-03-2023, 07:23 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  
(27-03-2023, 06:27 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I glanced at CNN earlier and caught Amara Walker ion for Kate Bolduan on 'AT THIS HOUR'. Would anyone have seen whether it was from Hudson Yards or Atlanta?

I've just tuned into Isa Soares Tonight (With Lynda Kinkade presenting) and Amara is in a correspondent role and she is listed as being reporting fron Atlanta so doing At This Hour from there as well.

Thank you. I also saw her Chyron'd as being in Atlanta on Newsroom.

(27-03-2023, 07:23 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(27-03-2023, 06:39 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Question: When Amanpour gets cut-off due to an important news story like now, do they air a delayed telecast version of it or just scrap the episode for CNN International and tape for PBS broadcast?

I remember that recently the entire episode was tape delayed till 6pm ET because there was a major news conference (special counsel for Biden docs) at 1pm ET. Usually, however, they just ditch it (like they did pre-pandemic when there was endless Trump developments or more recently for Tyre Nichols presser).

Did Amanpour mention the cut-off on-air? I missed it, but I assume that the cut-off was due to Netanyahu statement? Or was it shooting press conference and domestic simulcast?
Christiane Amanpour cut off the person she was interviewing saying “Netanyahu is about to speak, we’ll be back to you”, but she never came back and Lynda Kinkade took over after Netanyahu finished speaking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • oscillon

Sometimes Amanpour has gone out at 7pm instead of 6pm UK. It's also gone out early on occasion.

twitter.com