BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The current angle with a presenter in front of a screen looks off. They have not made much use of the channels on show in the background. It would look impressive to have all the BBC news channels in view in the background. At the moment they are hidden and the whole thing looks like they squashed someone between two desks.

This breaking news situation shows that the lower thirds really are missing that second line of information, I feel. With a single line they're unable to sum up the overall headline and the latest detail in a way they could before. I'm not sure why they've made this change across the channel, unless perhaps as part of the cost-cutting they no longer have a dedicated text producer and the straps are written by someone with other duties.

Apologies if it has already been mentioned, but this UK opt is also being carried by iPlayer as a seperate stream, not unlike the sport red button iPlayer streams. Presumably this is what they see as eventually being the future of this sort of thing.
[-] The following 6 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, James, Jeff, SirBiscuit45

(03-04-2023, 11:10 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Azadeh Moshiri meanwhile confirms that night shifts from NBH are history.
twitter.com 
There'll still be nightshifts in BH, it's still a 24 hour operation, it's just that the production of the TV news won't be happening from there overnight. 

Newsgathering will still happen, and there's lots of radio coming out of BH all night
[-] The following 6 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 237, Quantum+83, Reith85, TVHead, UTVLifer

Question: is the flipper broke or is it just going to say ‘bbc.co.uk/news’ on the UK stream?

(03-04-2023, 04:18 PM)ldnpres Wrote:  Question: is the flipper broke or is it just going to say ‘bbc.co.uk/news’ on the UK stream?
Headlines once returned on the flipper at 11am.

(03-04-2023, 04:18 PM)ldnpres Wrote:  Question: is the flipper broke or is it just going to say ‘bbc.co.uk/news’ on the UK stream?
Not that's it's broken, it's either stuck to that or displays irrelevant stuff from the RSS feed!

(03-04-2023, 04:11 PM)Transmission Wrote:  This breaking news situation shows that the lower thirds really are missing that second line of information, I feel. With a single line they're unable to sum up the overall headline and the latest detail in a way they could before. I'm not sure why they've made this change across the channel, unless perhaps as part of the cost-cutting they no longer have a dedicated text producer and the straps are written by someone with other duties.

Apologies if it has already been mentioned, but this UK opt is also being carried by iPlayer as a seperate stream, not unlike the sport red button iPlayer streams. Presumably this is what they see as eventually being the future of this sort of thing.
I think the main reason was readability (especially if you’re watching on phone/tablet). Two lines of text makes everything very small - they wanted lines to stand out, hence the one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ldnpres's post:
  • Transmission

My guess is that Matthew's shift is from 16.00 to 18.00 CET and Yalda will do 18.00 CET to 21.00 CET. This way, all 4 main presenters will have 2 hour shifts on the UK feed, with Lucy and Yalda' losing an hour to national news.
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

On the one hand, and to be fair, they've shown that they still have the capacity to cover UK-specific breaking news this afternoon (even if they did cut away prematurely before 2pm).

On the other hand, having Lewis Vaughan Jones standing somewhere that looks very much makeshift and sets the whole operation back visually by several decades is hardly communicating to the domestic audience of this merged channel that we are a priority for BBC News.
[-] The following 5 users Like Reith85's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Pips2022, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Home Editor Mark Easton now on the HostageCam on the UK feed.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Josh's post:
  • Pips2022, UTVLifer