BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I think some of the commentary here is rather hyperbolic. How many people watch BBC News all day long with the same concentration they would apply to, say, a prime time show? I'm off work and have just put it on in the background while I do some ironing. I think a news channel is different from other types of channel because viewers dip in and out. 

In an age when people can get the news on their phone, when we have new UK news channels starting up (quality of journalism aside), I think it makes total sense for the BBC to focus on what no other UK rival can do - a global take on the news. In my opinion it makes the BBC stand out. We're lucky that our national broadcaster is also a global one.

That said, presentation-wise it looks sloppy at the moment. If they could go to the trouble of modifying the titles and idents, I'm not sure why they couldn't just take the next step and replace them. It's odd to have one symbol on TV and something very different for the app. Plus, the bulletin I have on has the red box at the start and end - thought that had gone?

And the 'across the UK' ad fillers are a bit tokenistic - just got half a report about a bus in Wiltshire between coverage of Trump and NATO. UK headlines would work better in the ad breaks.

Here's The Guardian's take on the first day of the new operation

www.theguardian.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Nige, UTVLifer

Nicky Campbell's Phone In show on 5 Live will be simulcast on the BBC News Channel from the 17th April:
www.bbc.co.uk 

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like Happy2001's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon, UTVLifer

(04-04-2023, 05:04 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  Nicky Campbell's Phone In show on 5 Live will be simulcast on the BBC News Channel from the 17th April:

I can understand simulcasting this on BBC2, it's 'cheap' programming, fills the hours.

I don't understand why they don't leave the News Channel showing news, even if it's "World" programming.
[-] The following 6 users Like Randomuser123's post:
  • alvinykhui, bkman1990, Jeff, Nige, oscillon, thevaran

(04-04-2023, 04:50 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Here's The Guardian's take on the first day of the new operation
It's interesting that pretty much every newspaper article that mentions BBC World News uses the same cliche about watching business news in a hotel room. I guess that's the broad understanding of the channel for British viewers, but you'd think that media journalists would be a bit more aware than most about it being one of the most successful international news channels ever and having something of an audience beyond the Brit abroad.
[-] The following 8 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, GalxiSprout, ginnyfan, Happy2001, oscillon, UTVLifer

Looks like an "Across the UK" segment just went out on the international feed.

(04-04-2023, 05:12 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(04-04-2023, 04:50 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Here's The Guardian's take on the first day of the new operation
It's interesting that pretty much every newspaper article that mentions BBC World News uses the same cliche about watching business news in a hotel room. I guess that's the broad understanding of the channel for British viewers, but you'd think that media journalists would be a bit more aware than most about it being one of the most successful international news channels ever and having something of an audience beyond the Brit abroad.
But of course they’re correct in that’s the most important use for the channel.

Why are they still using the red box? Is it just when it’s from E?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(04-04-2023, 03:23 PM)Imaginativename Wrote:  In an age when people can get the news on their phone, when we have new UK news channels starting up (quality of journalism aside), I think it makes total sense for the BBC to focus on what no other UK rival can do - a global take on the news. In my opinion it makes the BBC stand out. We're lucky that our national broadcaster is also a global one.
I’d say that there has never been more of a need for the BBC to have a domestic news channel in light of the new UK news channels, which from the very little I’ve seen seems to broadcast opinion as fact, have very little balance and in some cases seem to want to stoke the flames or the so called culture wars. 

Lots of people have mentioned that you can get the news online but sometimes that’s no substitute for listening to a reporter explaining  something or providing context or an expert being interviewed. It also instantly disregards those people who actually may struggle with reading for whatever reason or are a more auditory person. 

I think it was  mentioned earlier in the thread but it feels a bit like there is an American slant on the channel now. Especially with these talking heads giving their opinions. Personally, I’m not particularly interested in what they think, I’d rather have more stories.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 11 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, ilsondan15, itsrobert, JamieD, LargelyALurker, msim, Nige, oscillon

I know we can't go back, but i'm really missing the old BBC News Channel
[-] The following 3 users Like TheJarv's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, ilsondan15

Don't think anyone mentioned this but after Sportsday after the 1 o'clock news they went to Lewis Vaughan Jones in the broom cupboard up to the top of the hour, not sure if this is going to be a regular thing to keep the opt-out presenter occupied.

And that studio has also been getting used for the Trump coverage on the BBC website, although someone else has been presenting it.
[-] The following 6 users Like Renap's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, PatrZDZ, thePineapple, UTVLifer