BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Don't get me wrong, we all rant and vent about different things here. It's very often the point of the place.

There are certain things we really can not change or have any impact on, now, like the BBC budget, licence fee and cost cutting measures.

Then again, there are things we perhaps can change, cause it seems like BBC people often lurk around here. So please bring back the usual break ident with music instead of the silent mess we have now. Presenter should be able to tell what's to come and be followed by the ident with BBC music and then World can have a break while UK gets some local news in brief, read out by the presenter. It's quite simple and they used to do it this way on old overnights.
[-] The following 10 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, interestednovice, JosiahStuart, LDN, Quantum+83, SomeRandomStuff, thevaran, TVFan

The thing about the new channel that irritates me more is the flipper not being use during the live news programmes. It should be constant.
[-] The following 7 users Like dhaworth40's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Frances, interestednovice, Jeff, Juicy Joe, Quantum+83

(07-04-2023, 01:30 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 10:11 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  So whilst the license fee has only risen by £13.50 in 13 years, not only are the BBC's budgets impacted by the massive real terms cuts of that tiny rise, the BBC must also now fund:
Free TV licenses for over 75s, and funding of the BBC World Service, that it was not responsible for funding from the license fee in 2010. Money from the license fee has also been taken to support the digital TV switchover and broadband rollout since 2010.
So the BBC has had its funding cut whilst at the same time it has been made responsible for funding more services from a smaller funding pot. These are government decisions.

So it's easy to bash the BBC management for the closure of the UK News Channel, but it would not have happened if the BBC had not been cut to the bone for 13 years by consecutive Conservative governments.

Anyone who is upset and angry by what the BBC has become needs to seriously consider which political party they vote for next year, as the party currently in charge has made no attempt to hide the fact that if it wins the next election, the license fee will be abolished altogether.
(It's no coincidence that BBC News 24 / News Channel and the BBC in general, was at its best and most well resourced between 1997 - 2010)

Respectfully, you are missing my point. The entire process has been executed with extraordinary chaos and mismanagement. 

I am fully aware of the figures outlined by Keith and and I am also fully aware of the feelings of the current govt, however, the current people (plural) running the show are not fit for purpose! 

For the record, hell would freeze over before I ever vote for the party currently in charge!
It's no coincidence that the decision to merge World News and the News Channel was taken by a DG who is a fully paid up member of the Conservative party. 
I've read that merging the the two channels has been proposed numerous times in recent years, including most recently under the last DG Tony Hall, but he blocked the proposal.
Then a DG and a Chairman, who are both fully paid up Tories and were appointed by the most anti-BBC government in recent times come along (along with the likes of Robbie Gibb being appointed to the BBC board), and the merger goes through in less than a year. Along with eye watering funding cuts, none of this is a coincidence.
[-] The following 12 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, Charles, chrisherald, GalxiSprout, Independent, itsrobert, Ittr, Newsroom, Quantum+83, Ste, SuperSajuuk, xlalonce

(07-04-2023, 12:10 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  I wonder if South Asia version of world has now changed to BBC news yet?

Yes! It's finally uncensored! The South Asia feed is now finally watchable!
[Image: a78ccceb3546585840d57af7addaa9db.png]

The regional promo endboards are also updated. However they still use location names (Dhaka, Delhi, Islamabad) rather than timezone names (BST, IST, PKT) unlike other regions:
[Image: ab42d434a6be3ad65d5960e09cd476bd.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like ALV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jimbo2022, LDN, oscillon, thevaran

(07-04-2023, 02:10 PM)ALV Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 12:10 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  I wonder if South Asia version of world has now changed to BBC news yet?

Yes! It's finally uncensored! The South Asia feed is now finally watchable!
[Image: a78ccceb3546585840d57af7addaa9db.png]

The regional promo endboards are also updated. However they still use location names (Dhaka, Delhi, Islamabad) rather than timezone names (BST, IST, PKT) unlike other regions:
[Image: ab42d434a6be3ad65d5960e09cd476bd.png]

Can anyone see the Asia Pacific version? What is seen on same promos in that area? Thanks
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(07-04-2023, 02:05 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 01:30 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Respectfully, you are missing my point. The entire process has been executed with extraordinary chaos and mismanagement. 

I am fully aware of the figures outlined by Keith and and I am also fully aware of the feelings of the current govt, however, the current people (plural) running the show are not fit for purpose! 

For the record, hell would freeze over before I ever vote for the party currently in charge!
It's no coincidence that the decision to merge World News and the News Channel was taken by a DG who is a fully paid up member of the Conservative party. 
I've read that merging the the two channels has been proposed numerous times in recent years, including most recently under the last DG Tony Hall, but he blocked the proposal.
Then a DG and a Chairman, who are both fully paid up Tories and were appointed by the most anti-BBC government in recent times come along (along with the likes of Robbie Gibb being appointed to the BBC board), and the merger goes through in less than a year. Along with eye watering funding cuts, none of this is a coincidence.
With respect… you are blinded by partisan politics. Conventional media is dying. The viewer base is shrinking the money tree is rotting in the ground. The number of people who are required to pay the license fee is declining and you cannot force people to pay for something they do not use. Cuts would be happening regardless of whatever party was in government.
[-] The following 4 users Like SomeRandomStuff's post:
  • interestednovice, James, Jimbo2022, simon

The audiences are staying with BBC News!

twitter.com 
[-] The following 9 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, Allanbuzzy, bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001, Reith85, thePineapple, thevaran

Is the LATEST PICTURES one-liner a new thing?
youtu.be 

A ridiculous gear change just then on BBC News

They broke the news of the death of Paul Catermole from S Club 7, and then went straight into a ridiculous regional news story about a group of people who meet up to laugh with the clip consisting of basically 1 minute of continuous laughing.
[-] The following 7 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, bkman1990, chrisdafur, chrisherald, insert_good_username_here, James, Roger Darthwell

(07-04-2023, 02:05 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(07-04-2023, 01:30 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Respectfully, you are missing my point. The entire process has been executed with extraordinary chaos and mismanagement. 

Like I said - 'Not fit for purpose'
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Kojak, Radio_man, xlalonce