BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(08-04-2023, 10:00 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  Great start to the weekend they're playing the old countdown with red box 😏

And they continue to do it at 11am, so it was not a bug related to the end of the UK Breakfast opt-out.

(08-04-2023, 11:01 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  Looks like we're back to some presenters doing marathon weekend shifts then.
Given that Sumi has done a shift every day since Monday, and Mon-Wed it included WNA, it's a marathon week for her.

(08-04-2023, 11:02 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(08-04-2023, 10:00 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  Great start to the weekend they're playing the old countdown with red box 😏

And they continue to do it at 11am, so it was not a bug related to the end of the UK Breakfast opt.
Although it’s from gallery C, the old sting was still played…

[Image: 1680948395_614335034.png]

(08-04-2023, 11:01 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(08-04-2023, 10:27 AM)matthew Wrote:  0500, with Samantha Simmonds. Sumi did 2300-0500.

Looks like we're back to some presenters doing marathon weekend shifts then.
I'll predict that Saturday & Sunday shifts will be 0500 - 0900, 0900 - 1300/1400, 1300/1400 - 1800, 1800 - 2300, 2300 - 0500 (Washington), with either the morning or afternoon presenter doing the lunchtime BBC 1 bulletin as before.

Of course no one outside of this forum cares about shift patterns  Rolleyes

Plenty within the forum that don’t care either  Wink
[-] The following 14 users Like chris's post:
  • Ashley, bkman1990, chevron, chrisherald, FactorFiles, Former Member 406, Frances, Jayesyn, Joe, London Lite, Reith85, SomeRandomStuff, Spencer, Stuart

(06-04-2023, 08:43 PM)Tsigriwa Wrote:  I'm an international (french) viewer of the new BBC News channel and almost a week after the launch I have some thoughts:

When it comes to content :
They are some issues, but overall it is very decent, I'm sure that the odd technical glitch and hosts staring into oblivion between opt-ins will be ironed out very soon. Maybe I'm the only one, but seeing some UK related stuff is not a problem: the BBC is a British corporation after all...

I agree with you on this one. Like you I'm a world viewer in Europe, and I expect British news to be covered by BBC News.

European viewers are much more interested in news from the UK, than let's say specialty programs like Focus on Africa.

Many times CNN International (London team) has proven better at covering UK news than BBC World News.
At times it felt as if World has ashamed of the 'British' in BBC and tried to cover it up.
[-] The following 2 users Like thevaran's post:
  • itsrobert, Tsigriwa

(08-04-2023, 11:26 AM)thevaran Wrote:  I agree with you on this one. Like you I'm a world viewer in Europe, and I expect British news to be covered by BBC News.

European viewers are much more interested in news from the UK, than let's say specialty programs like Focus on Africa.

Many times CNN International (London team) has proven better at covering UK news than BBC World News.
At times it felt as if World has ashamed of the 'British' in BBC and tried to cover it up.
Or it could be that in the nearly 32 years the BBC have run a 24-hour international news channel, they've in fact learned which stories their global audiences are interested in. Of course, this does have to shift slightly now they're also broadcasting to the UK for most of the day, but it's important that they still stay on the right side of the dividing line between 'covering major UK news' and 'being dominated by UK news', as it was during the interim period. The real issue is the sort of non-breaking second-tier UK story, though even then there are solutions that can allow them to be covered in a way that isn't unduly alienating to the international viewer.

I'm also not at all sure they've ever tried to 'cover up' the fact they're British - often making copious references to the fact they're broadcasting from London and even having an idealised London skyline as the backdrop to their bulletins for the best part of the last decade. They've also hardly been reluctant to cover major UK news on BBC World News - the average news programme was about 10-15% UK news, with sport and feature programmes often having an even higher proportion of UK stories.
[-] The following 8 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, kookaburra, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Reith85, Telefunken

At 12:30 the UK feed is showing Our World, different from the Good Friday Agreement on the international feed.

But what about Click? They’re still showing that ‘Today at 12:30’ trailer this morning.

As was mentioned earlier, the old countdowns have returned to 'the UK version' today. They've also reverted back to the old TOTH headline style in studio C with the globe wipe between the stories and previous World News titles. The old globe wipe has also reappeared when transitioning from the UK weather forecast to promos on the half hour.

Yet to see what we get greeted with for the 1pm national summary on BBC One.

The last 5 days have been an inconsistent mess branding and presentation wise.

Bit of interesting info re. studio C here. Apparently its not very flexible for handling breaking news!

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Kojak, xlalonce

(08-04-2023, 12:44 PM)Worzel Wrote:  As was mentioned earlier, the old countdowns have returned to 'the UK version' today. They've also reverted back to the old TOTH headline style in studio C with the globe wipe between the stories and previous World News titles. The old globe wipe has also reappeared when transitioning from the UK weather forecast to promos on the half hour.

I guess that’s also the protocol currently used by the 5am hour.

(08-04-2023, 12:44 PM)Worzel Wrote:  As was mentioned earlier, the old countdowns have returned to 'the UK version' today. They've also reverted back to the old TOTH headline style in studio C with the globe wipe between the stories and previous World News titles. The old globe wipe has also reappeared when transitioning from the UK weather forecast to promos on the half hour.

Bit of interesting info re. studio C here. Apparently its not very flexible for handling breaking news!

twitter.com 

Other than location with C bring at a lower level how does it differ - other than perhaps staffing levels. I thought C and E were generally the same except for the video wall replacing the live view.

We thought Sumi was doing long shifts but Samantha Simmonds has returned for BBC One 1pm bulletin. Lucy Grey continues on the NC.

Also a new close on the trundle cam shot.

[Image: Screenshot%202023-04-08%20at%2013_13_59.png]
[-] The following 13 users Like harryb's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, JosiahStuart, Juicy Joe, oscillon, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Reith85, thePineapple, thevaran, UTVLifer, watchingtv