BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

RTE’s Caitriona Perry will join BBC Washington as a Chief Presenter.

www.rte.ie 
[-] The following 7 users Like Frances's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Ma76, SlimyTrain, Superman1986

(04-05-2023, 03:10 PM)Frances Wrote:  RTE’s Caitriona Perry will join BBC Washington as a Chief Presenter.

www.rte.ie 

She was previously RTÉ’s Washington correspondent for 4 years so knows the terrain very well. She’s very good in my opinion.
[-] The following 7 users Like AJB39's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Frances, Jeff, oscillon, Rdd, Superman1986

(04-05-2023, 02:57 PM)cando Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 02:40 PM)Worzel Wrote:  BBC News could learn a few things from what ITN did with the first incarnation of their news channel. It was run on a shoestring budget and staffing but I always thought it punched well above its weight on air.

Short sharp headlines, and into the top story within 30 seconds! The branding was also very good and has actually aged quite well.

Granted the presentation side of the channel was quite lifeless (no standing pres/very few studio guest contributions until the initial 2002 and then 2005 ITV News rebrand) but as a basic news wheel service, it was delivered very well. Watching the BBC News channel these days, its basically static camera/presenter at desk shots with little creativity in how studio C is utilised.

ITN also proved you can put out a reasonable product with consistent branding that doesn't look butchered.

youtu.be 
So good it closed down and was a massive loss maker and sacked numerous on the eve of Christmas
Pretty sure every news channel makes a loss, Sky News certainly does but is still bankrolled by the company to this day.

The channel's main problem was that it couldn't complete in a congested market alongside the BBC and Sky. It was also a victim of cuts across the board.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Worzel's post:
  • Ma76

I love the pace of that ITN News Channel opener, far too much bloat in headline sequences these days.
[-] The following 15 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chevron, Former Member 406, GMc, harshy, Jeff, Kojak, LargelyALurker, Ma76, matthieu1221, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(04-05-2023, 03:23 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Pretty sure every news channel makes a loss, Sky News certainly does but is still bankrolled by the company to this day.
All domestic news channels are loss-making, though BBC World News regularly posted profits from the end of the 2000s onwards. The problem with news channels is that, while News is relatively cheap per hour in television terms, doing it all day everyday adds up (especially if you're doing it 'properly') and they just don't get the viewers to subsidise those costs.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, Ma76

(04-05-2023, 02:40 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 07:41 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Maybe they need to take the weather out of the 10 again, or at least out of the simulcast - but frankly they'd still make a mess of it.  Just stick Sportsday back at 10.30 where it belongs with either filler at 10.45 or Newsnight on a delay scheduled to finish at 11.30.

Ultimately though this "new" channel is just never going to work in this butchered incarnation.  Would actually be better off switching to a news wheel format with an hour of content taped at key points of the day then played in an appropriate running order for both services with live inserts and updates for both as required.

BBC News could learn a few things from what ITN did with the first incarnation of their news channel. It was run on a shoestring budget and staffing but I always thought it punched well above its weight on air.

Short sharp headlines, and into the top story within 30 seconds! The branding was also very good and has actually aged quite well.

Granted the presentation side of the channel was quite lifeless (no standing pres/very few studio guest contributions until the initial 2002 and then 2005 ITV News rebrand) but as a basic news wheel service, it was delivered very well. Watching the BBC News channel these days, its basically static camera/presenter at desk shots with little creativity in how studio C is utilised.

ITN also proved you can put out a reasonable product with consistent branding that doesn't look butchered on a tight budget.

youtu.be 

The original incarnation arguably came a decade too early.  It was somewhat designed to be watched on mobiles on the move a decade before apps were a thing.

(04-05-2023, 04:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 02:40 PM)Worzel Wrote:  BBC News could learn a few things from what ITN did with the first incarnation of their news channel. It was run on a shoestring budget and staffing but I always thought it punched well above its weight on air.

ITN also proved you can put out a reasonable product with consistent branding that doesn't look butchered on a tight budget.

youtu.be 

The original incarnation arguably came a decade too early.  It was somewhat designed to be watched on mobiles on the move a decade before apps were a thing.
Funnily enough, ITN did reuse some of the news channel's branding for their online/mobile service a few years later. The video seems to have been taken down now but an interview with Rik Mayall promoting a New Statesman play (in character as Alan B'Stard) opened with the old News Channel intro.

(04-05-2023, 03:14 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 03:10 PM)Frances Wrote:  RTE’s Caitriona Perry will join BBC Washington as a Chief Presenter.

www.rte.ie 

She was previously RTÉ’s Washington correspondent for 4 years so knows the terrain very well. She’s very good in my opinion.

The BBC’s gain is RTE’s loss, she’s a good presenter.
[-] The following 4 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, London Lite

Well this is exciting! I don't think we've seen AR in studio B before.

(Maybe I'm wrong)

I saw that earlier, but on watching again just now I noticed how detailed and realistic that model is. The reflections especially are amazing.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 8 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • AndrewP, Former Member 406, LDN, Ma76, Quantum+83, Rhys j, thePineapple, whistlerpro