Coronation of King Charles III

(07-05-2023, 12:49 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Sounds like David Lowe has tinkered with the BBC Network theme as featured on the Coronation Live special on BBC One.

That is the Royal Wedding remix of the NC title theme back in 2018 being reused:
youtu.be 
This is one of my favorite remixes of David Lowe’s theme. I’m so happy it returned to the airwaves today~
[-] The following 2 users Like ALV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

Here's a sort of medley of the graphics from that program - I don't think we've seen them before but they're really nice in my opinion.

After the program (on the News channel), they cut to Katty Kay outside Westminster castle but she couldn't see the pictures we were seeing (she said she was watching them on 'a bit of a delay on my producer's iPhone') and they've cut to a gloriously unprepared Luxmy Gopal in NBH who is doing a good job of filling air time with absolutely no talking points.
[-] The following 4 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Hadrien, Jayesyn

(07-05-2023, 11:07 AM)Andrew Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 10:47 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  twitter.com 

A peak of 20m is very strong, which shows there was still a lot of interest in the event on a day when shops etc were still open as normal.

A lot of interest but clearly nowhere near as much as the media would have had us believe this past week. Considering they've consistently being pointing out that the crowning of a monarch is something most of us have never seen before and phrases like ''monumental'' ''historic'' and ''defining moment in our history'' have saturated the last week I’m sure many would have assumed it would have gotten at least closer to the 30 million the funeral got last year. In the end most people don't have particulaly strong feelings either way and just want to enjoy the long weekend.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart, Telefunken, UTVLifer

Am I thinking wrong in that the viewing figures are obviously going to be “per TV”. So as the Coronation is an opportunity for people to get together, some households would have around 4 people watching a tv. This would quickly and easily add up to near enough the population.

Then you have to think about the people working on the weekend who would not have had the option to watch a TV.
[-] The following 6 users Like harryb's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Ma76, thomalex, thomash79, UTVLifer

When William becomes King, I wonder what the world of linear TV will look like? If Charles lasts to around the same age as his mother, we could have 20 years of him as king, so in around 2043, I wonder what linear television will look like, if it still exists by then for his coronation.

(07-05-2023, 05:03 PM)harryb Wrote:  Am I thinking wrong in that the viewing figures are obviously going to be “per TV”. So as the Coronation is an opportunity for people to get  together, some households would have around 4 people watching a tv. This would quickly and easily add up to near enough the population.

Then you have to think about the people working on the weekend who would not have had the option to watch a TV.

It's calculated per person, each person on the BARB panel will have registered how many people they were watching with, then the numbers are calculated from there.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 8 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Hadrien, Happy2001, Jayesyn, Jeff, Ma76, Stuart

(07-05-2023, 05:12 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  When William becomes King, I wonder what the world of linear TV will look like? If Charles lasts to around the same age as his mother, we could have 20 years of him as king, so in around 2043, I wonder what linear television will look like, if it still exists by then for his coronation.

We'll probably all be watching it using IP delivery by then, but people will still watch events such as this live.

Watching French television today and they're just as obsessed with the Coronation events as we are. One of the Franceinfo bulletins led with a 'Big Lunch' street party in Kensington rather than with French domestic politics today.
[-] The following 5 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Ma76

(06-05-2023, 07:22 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So why was BBC One HD affected? - this is our national broadcaster. I switched back to Sky News and they were fine.

Haven't yet had confirmation from those in the know, but it looks like it was a Dolby E decoding issue.

Dolby E is the format used to transport 5.1 and 7.1 audio over two standard PCM audio tracks, commonly used by remote broadcasts like yesterday's coronation. Unfortunately it's also extremely finicky. If everything's not perfect it completely drops out, and it seems that happened multiple times yesterday.

Which is why the BBC One HD broadcast, which is 5.1, had issues whereas BBC One SD and iPlayer UHD which took the stereo feed were ok.

I really feel for the Engineers involved as they no doubt would have tested it all prior to broadcast, and had all sorts of redundancy in place. Sod's law however is that it will go wrong when you really don't want it to.
[-] The following 12 users Like Orry Verducci's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, eyeTV, Frances, interestednovice, Jeff, London Lite, Ma76, News Engineer, RhysJR, Stuart

(07-05-2023, 05:12 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  When William becomes King, I wonder what the world of linear TV will look like?  If Charles lasts to around the same age as his mother, we could have 20 years of him as king, so in around 2043, I wonder what linear television will look like, if it still exists by then for his coronation.

I can't see linear tv being around in 20 years time but events of this magnitude will be given the best coverage irrespective of delivery.

Over 2m across 4 channels watched The Coronation in Australia. Most top shows there get around 600k now.

tvtonight.com.au 
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001, Ma76, thomash79