Eurovision Song Contest 2023

(14-05-2023, 02:56 AM)JosiahStuart Wrote:  I believe that the major reason why Finland won the televote (and SF1) because there were too many fangirls that think Käärija is hot. I'm extremely annoyed that we had another year of (almost) maxing out the televote points.

Believe it or not, not everyone treats the ESC like Love Island.

Personally, I think Loreen, whilst amazing, didn’t deserve the win. The song was quite flat and the staging, whilst it looked cool, was basic. It just gives the vibe that she won because of Loreen.

Cha Cha Cha had character. It wasn’t just the arena - saw many friends at watch parties where they all got into it. It’s a much more engaging song than Tattoo.

Equally, Belgium and Norway both got far less points from the juries than they probably deserved. The whistle note in Alessandra’s performance is incredibly difficult- especially when her staging is a lot more physically intense.

And Mae? Arguably her hype was stopped from the start in the fandom because of all the Rina rumours. The pre-party vocal performance was ‘interesting’ and it never quite got to where it needed to be in the final. Still, I reckon it’s this years SNAP. It’ll be come a TikTok trend over the summer I’m sure…

Of course, it’s the 50th anniversary of Abba next year, so we know SVT will put on a good show.
[-] The following 3 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • chaose, DeMarkay, UTVLifer

Was there a live YouTube stream this year? I saw there was one scheduled for 8pm on the Eurovision channel but it never seemed to get going.

(14-05-2023, 09:22 AM)JasonB Wrote:  Was there a live YouTube stream this year? I saw there was one scheduled for 8pm on the Eurovision channel but it never seemed to get going.

Yes but blocked in UK, US and some other countries.

(14-05-2023, 12:56 AM)Jon Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 12:23 AM)DeMarkay Wrote:  I’m very aware that they wouldn’t be hosting it if Sweden didn’t win. Not sure what implied that.

You know that people can have personal preferences right? Plus, they are Eurovision’s most popular hosts.
The point is even if your preferred duo don’t present, you’re probably going to find who ever does to be more like them than what any other particular host countries presenters might be like.

So if you’d watch the show without them presenting if it was outside Sweden why wouldn’t you watch the show without them presenting when it’s in Sweden. Make no sense.
First of all you need to calm down. No one else here had a problem with what I said. It was a bit of fun, stop taking yourself seriously.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Happy2001's post:
  • Blubatt, Reith85, Stuart

This year's show was really good. We did Ukraine proud. And Liverpool was absolutely the right city to host. I was walking around the city in the weeks leading up to last night, and it was covered in flags, hearts everywhere, lots of people in dress up. It was nice to see the city so colourful. Seeing bits of it on the news didn't do it justice.

Our song this year, realistically, had very stiff competition. Most of the songs were really good, and I could see all of them doing well in different years. But again, it wasn't the death of music, as some on here made it out to be.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 8 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • all new phil, benzj, DeMarkay, fanoftv, Jeff, Reith85, Telefunken, UTVLifer

I’ve loved Mae’s songs since it was released & it really doesn’t sound out of place on the radio amongst other female artists of the day.

But the performances last night wasn’t great - the staging was fab but her vocal was just lacking. Probably needed some backing singers to harmonise and just lift the whole performance.

I do hope it hasn’t dampened the Eurovision-fever across the country though & we can try again with another credible act in 2024.

Re the show, hard to fault it. The hosts were great, especially loved Hannah. Graham did seem a bit deer in the headlights doing the voting sequence at times, which I think proves just how difficult it is. As if anyone was going to breeze it, he’d be capable.

If Graham ever gave up comms, I think the search is still on for his replacement….
(It was an odd set up having split it this year, but I think it’s fairly obvious Graham was forced into hosting the final & would’ve rathered stay on comms duty. Apparently it took 100 seconds to walk from stage to his post. Can’t they have found him anywhere closer!?)
[-] The following 3 users Like Ash101's post:
  • benzj, Reith85, Toby brown

Yes I’m afraid Mel was very much the weak point. Knowing when to shut up is vital.

We were very fortunate when Terry gave it up that Graham turned out to be just as good, arguably better. He’s just great at it. Makes it seem easy when it’s obviously not.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • GMc, Jayesyn, Nige, Reith85, UTVLifer

(14-05-2023, 11:45 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  If Graham ever gave up comms, I think the search is still on for his replacement….
(It was an odd set up having split it this year, but I think it’s fairly obvious Graham was forced into hosting the final & would’ve rathered stay on comms duty. Apparently it took 100 seconds to walk from stage to his post. Can’t they have found him anywhere closer!?)

I doubt Graham was forced, more it would have seemed strange if he didn’t host

It did seem strange him having to do all the cheesy stuff on stage that he’d usually take the mick out of

The voting sequence wasnt as exciting as it could have been due to the lead staying the same right to almost the very end. Sweden were so far ahead nobody keep frogged above them with their televoting points except at the end. The scoreboard design was great though as were the graphics throughout.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • UTVLifer

I like Mel but during the scoring there was no comment on any of the numbers, x needs y to get ahead of a etc.