BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(15-05-2023, 07:20 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 07:16 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is it back to having it's own production now then rather than being a news channel production considering the news channel now exists in name only and is essentially a World production. 

And yes of course running a news channel is more than just the presenter but baffling we now are back to having anchors in to just do a half hour shift.  Doesn't even seem like the One presenter is on standby for the breaking news service, though perhaps if something did warrant a news report on BBC1 now depending on the story they may be more inclined to use the network presenter rather than just opt into the news channel.
It's not a half hour shift, though, is it? The presenters are in the building several hours beforehand to prepare for the One. Much of what they read from the autocue, they write themselves. They will also be liaising continually with reporters to coordinate any live crosses. I do agree that it would be good if they stayed on for a couple more hours and helped provide some form of UK-only rolling news - but I also accept that the capacity for that may not be there at the moment.
Poor wording there on my part - should have said on-air shift s wasn't the 1 usually paired up with the 5 or sometimes the 9-11 shift.

A shame that with London now in B it wouldn't be possible but even having the 1/6/10 stay on air for the rest of the hour would add some content, rather failing that an overnight style UK headline summary leading up to the top of the hour.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Kojak, Quantum+83

(15-05-2023, 08:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 07:20 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It's not a half hour shift, though, is it? The presenters are in the building several hours beforehand to prepare for the One. Much of what they read from the autocue, they write themselves. They will also be liaising continually with reporters to coordinate any live crosses. I do agree that it would be good if they stayed on for a couple more hours and helped provide some form of UK-only rolling news - but I also accept that the capacity for that may not be there at the moment.
Poor wording there on my part - should have said on-air shift s wasn't the 1 usually paired up with the 5 or sometimes the 9-11 shift.

A shame that with London now in B it wouldn't be possible but even having the 1/6/10 stay on air for the rest of the hour would add some content, rather failing that an overnight style UK headline summary leading up to the top of the hour.
Often the One was paired up with another shift - for pretty much all of March the 1 team presented/produced the 5pm hour (that went out worldwide) and quite often before that, the 2-5 NC shift. (The latter happened much more than you might think - as far back as 2007, in fact! There was a phase where Sophie Raworth would stay on after the One, usually on a Monday, and co-present the afternoon shift on News 24. On those days the One would come from N8, rather than N6.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, Rolling News

(15-05-2023, 08:34 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 08:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Poor wording there on my part - should have said on-air shift s wasn't the 1 usually paired up with the 5 or sometimes the 9-11 shift.

Often the One was paired up with another shift - for pretty much all of March the 1 team presented/produced the 5pm hour (that went out worldwide) and quite often before that, the 2-5 NC shift. (The latter happened much more than you might think - as far back as 2007, in fact! There was a phase where Sophie Raworth would stay on after the One, usually on a Monday, and co-present the afternoon shift on News 24. On those days the One would come from N8, rather than N6.)

From about April 2021, when Covid restrictions were lifted, whoever did the One also did the 5pm hour. During Covid, it was a case of whoever did the One stayed on the NC until 4pm, then somebody else took over until 6pm. Before Covid, there was far less predictability and only occasionally whoever did the One would do the 5pm hour, or even the Six! 

And as you say, sometimes they would stay to do 2-5, but only back in the day when that shift was double headed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • Kojak

(15-05-2023, 08:27 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 08:18 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Are the London headline in the 6/10 done live in B as well?
No, they come from D, if you mean TOTH headlines.
I find this utterly baffling.

Firing-up an entire full-sized studio like D seems a bit wasteful just for headline inserts, when the full London bulletin itself is then going to come from B.

Surely there's e.g. a weather chromakey broom-cupboard studio (or similar) somewhere in the building, that they could do the London headline inserts from instead?
[-] The following 5 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, James

Couldn’t they pre record the headlines in B?
[-] The following 2 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, James

(15-05-2023, 08:47 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Couldn’t they pre record the headlines in B?

Well, may be they just want them live...

Also, a couple of interesting tweets by Lead TV director of BBC News bulletins.

[*]Subtle confirmation that E is about to see big changes
twitter.com 

[*]One did not move to B last June because of Laura K and BBC London also moving there and doing some rehearsals - still does not explain the time interval between October and March/now. Waited until Election was also tested?
twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406

(15-05-2023, 08:46 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 08:27 PM)oscillon Wrote:  No, they come from D, if you mean TOTH headlines.
I find this utterly baffling.

Firing-up an entire full-sized studio like D seems a bit wasteful just for headline inserts, when the full London bulletin itself is then going to come from B.

Surely there's e.g. a weather chromakey broom-cupboard studio (or similar) somewhere in the building, that they could do the London headline inserts from instead?
Does seem odd - I thought they might not be from B but assumed they'd be in the newsroom or on the balcony, or pre-recorded to insert.

Wonder how much rehearsal time they get for the main bulletin and when they have to vacate for the 6?

(15-05-2023, 10:06 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Does seem odd - I thought they might not be from B but assumed they'd be in the newsroom or on the balcony, or pre-recorded to insert.

No, it was certainly D at least when they moved - they gave it away by using wide shot once, as mentioned in BBC London thread (the video itself was deleted).

(25-10-2022, 07:13 AM)ALV Wrote:  The NaT regional head on London used another camera position last night, which clearly shows it's studio D:
youtu.be 
The headline is most likely played by Studio B, as it went out on BBC One HD and the titles are played out in full~

Studio D is not used just for London, though, keep in mind HardTalk which has new episodes 3 times a week.
[-] The following 3 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, xlalonce

World Business Report sticks out like a sore thumb, who would have thought out of the daytime branded programming the only one to survive after all these years is World Business Report, it’s almost like 23 years ago minus Asia Today.

BBC News at One back in E today
[-] The following 3 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • bkman1990, Gordonthegopher, oscillon