Disney+

(20-05-2023, 04:09 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  There's a similar argument in the video game community, whereby some say it's morally acceptable to pirate a certain company's games if they don't give you any legal route to play them otherwise.

Then again, before the days of home video, we once had to rely on whether a movie was re-released in the cinema if we wanted to watch it. But, I suppose, when you've been used to having access to the content you like for the last 50 or so years, you can't argue too much if your customers get upset by denying them access to your programmes.

I know we've gone off on a tangent here but the argument for video games is understandable to an extent, and it's partly why we have all these emulators for all kinds of computer systems, and various images of the games that were made for them. A lot of those companies have gone out of business. The bigger ones are still around, best example probably being Codemasters. But the point remains; how can you legally play a game today made by a company that hasn't existed since 1992? Unless you bought it at the time, you can't.

Same argument for the environment to play the games - Commodore/Amiga emulators are available for the various range of their machines, yet Commodore themselves went bust in the 1990s, the UK arm surviving another year or so before it too went out of business.

Anyway to come back to Disney+, I notice looking at the entries on the Deadline links for some of the programming due to be removed, if you look those up on Disney+ there is nothing to say that that content is going to be removed soon. On the likes of Amazon and Netflix you get usually a whole section of "expiring in the next 30 days" titles so you know its going (or sometimes a specific date) yet its business as normal on Disney+.

If there is going to be a wave of content removal next week then while it may be lesser watched content, it probably might do them good to at least tag it to say its going to go bye bye soon, otherwise you'll only know if you saw the article...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(20-05-2023, 04:36 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(19-05-2023, 10:19 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I remember Apple+ originally started out as just their own original content, that very quickly changed when they realised that it couldn't sustain a service on its own.

I’m pretty sure Apple TV+ is entirely original content other than Long Way Down which they made a new episode of. Maybe a few kids shows but the rest is all original.

In a way that's better.  If viewers are watching a higher proportion of the original content they're likely feeling they're getting better value for money now.    Netflix has kind of become like Sky - you feel like you're paying for an awful lot of content you'll never watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • fanoftv

(20-05-2023, 12:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  They've effectively cut off a revenue stream for themselves too in pulling away from physical releases.  Could certainly see a hopushtowards digital downloads - that's something they could upsell within their aps too with an option to pay to download to keep.

Though one of the issues with digital downloads is they're usually limited to being able to be played on so many devices and littered with DRM, which significantly restricts where you can watch what you buy (especially if you need to replace your devices and can't get it to play on the new one), and potentially the DRM licence being withdrawn and the file becoming useless. In some ways they can be more restrictive than streaming where you can log onto your account in multiple locations and watch.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76

I always thought Disney+ was probably the one streaming service that could get away with not really producing a significant amount of new content, it almost adds to the prestige of the brand in some ways.

Having the library from the key brands which they do, with a small selection of quality new films and series each year, would probably keep them going just fine. I don’t think anybody was really asking for Disney+ to start producing masses of content outside of things like The Mandalorian, for example.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronTV's post:
  • Ma76

That’s a very good point. Some of the shows listed as leaving the service and some that are remaining have been added in such a volume that it has been hard to keep up with what is on the platform. All broadcasters seem to be throwing a lot of content to see which sticks and to try to appeal to a wide range of audience, however, it often highlights that they should commission on a basis of quality, not quantity.

(20-05-2023, 12:18 PM)XIII Wrote:  Streaming isn't dying and we're not going back to linear and physical media but I think that we're seeing things shift a bit and even companies like Amazon are shifting towards AVOD alongside SVOD.

Don't know where your looking but Physical Media has not and will not go anywhere. It would be horrible if DVD's were never shown again, I for one would be left out because as our internet is so slow I wouldn't be able to watch anything. Where would be the choice for me and others in that situation?

A lot of shops are slimming down, if not entirely removing, their DVD/Blu-Ray sections, so it's certainly becoming a lot more scarce.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • XIII

(20-05-2023, 10:59 PM)James2001 Wrote:  A lot of shops are slimming down, if not entirely removing, their DVD/Blu-Ray sections, so it's certainly becoming a lot more scarce.

Yes but there will still be shops like HMV. And Like I said without DVD/Blu-Ray where would the choice be. If Liner goes where would the choice be for people that don't want to use the internet or stream things 24/7? I think we are living in a very sad world if we have to use the internet/online all the time. For example this afternoon I was at the cinema, I went shopping I didn't even use my phone and I didn't use the internet all that time and I felt more free mentally from it, streaming and internet can be good but not 24/7 which could happen if liner, DVDs and cinemas/shops ever close for good
[-] The following 1 user Likes shropshireguy28's post:
  • fanoftv

(20-05-2023, 10:26 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 12:18 PM)XIII Wrote:  Streaming isn't dying and we're not going back to linear and physical media but I think that we're seeing things shift a bit and even companies like Amazon are shifting towards AVOD alongside SVOD.
Don't know where your looking but Physical Media has not and will not go anywhere. It would be horrible if DVD's were never shown again, I for one would be left out because as our internet is so slow I wouldn't be able to watch anything. Where would be the choice for me and others in that situation?
And that's when I wished I was born at the peak of Blockbuster and the like! As a student, I'm not really used to paying multiple streaming services monthly online; a brick-and-mortar store that lets me lend the titles I want to watch or to work my papers with is much cleaner and hassle free.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt

(20-05-2023, 11:24 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 10:59 PM)James2001 Wrote:  A lot of shops are slimming down, if not entirely removing, their DVD/Blu-Ray sections, so it's certainly becoming a lot more scarce.

Yes but there will still be shops like HMV.

Though a lot of places don't have HMVs and the likes any more, they shut a load down a few years back.