BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

This is genuinely baffling. I have no idea why they're even bothering to brand these bulletins. 
If anything, verified should be a sub-segment, or a 15 minute part of the schedule. 

And I thought that having all the Singapore bulletins as Newsday was annoying...

In my opinion, this is very, very weak.
ibb.co 

Flat, basic, bland, forgettable. As with other recent examples of BBC News design, it doesn't look like it's been designed at all; it looks like a basic template that came free with the software used to create it. 

Without the BBC logo... 
[Image: bbc-news-now-00.jpg]
...there's little in the visual design that's at all distinctive, or easily recognisable as belonging to BBC News -- unlike, say, the globe, with its widely familiar elements like the animated pulses, and the cat's cradle. As a piece of branding, this is a step back from what came before. 

We even have exactly the same truncated theme music used elsewhere. Nothing in the aural branding to distinguish this "three hours of fast-moving news" from a regular TOTH bulletin. 

The stories and packages are the same too, with little evidence of News Now being any more "fast-moving" than any other hour. The studio looks the same as it usually does, with no programme branding. There's not even a tag/bug in the lower-thirds with the name of the programme. 

What is the purpose of having three hours of separately branded programming when the branding is so weak (and so briefly seen), and the structure and content of the programme differs so little to other hours of the day?
[-] The following 15 users Like LDN's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, DTV, interestednovice, James, Jayesyn, Jeff, Juicy Joe, mouseboy33, oscillon, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, SuperSajuuk

Impact, Global & Live look like its own networks, empires, compared to this miserable attempt at branded slots. What exactly is the point of it all? The only real change is that we'll have to hear the word verify 10.000 times next 3 hours.

(22-05-2023, 02:28 PM)Michael Power Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 12:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  “BBC News News Now with Maryam Moshiri”

don't you mean “BBC News Now with Maryam Moshiri News” ? Tongue

in all seriousness though, these titles feel very basic...

I know it's easier said than done financially, but the BBC really should have gotten an agency in, rather than these poor attempts at these new cheap titles, and the 15 year old tired titles on the other end.

Also known by its abbreviated form, "BBC NEWS NOW NEWS":

ibb.co 

Super.
[-] The following 2 users Like LDN's post:
  • Independent, interestednovice

Where the hell have the graphic designers of LWLH, Impact, OS and The Context gone???

The styling of those 2D intros were going so well... even though it was 2D, the intros are still sophisticated with depths of elements... Each intros has its own branding identity (LWLH had the world map, Impact had the "C" symbol, OS had its own O ring symbol, and The Context had those three rectangles). They def look fully chameleon compatible!!!

Yet after the merger all the new intros look so cheap, they only have 2 layers (a background color with some simple shapes) and lack a lot of depth. Did the BBC lay off their top graphic designers???
[-] The following 14 users Like ALV's post:
  • AaronLancs, AIB01WB, alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, DTV, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Juicy Joe, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, Worzel

If only they used the 2016-2018 NL, 2018- NL & AL themes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AntandDec_Fan's post:
  • interestednovice

LDN Wrote:In my opinion, this is very, very weak.
ibb.co 

Flat, basic, bland, forgettable. As with other recent examples of BBC News design, it doesn't look like it's been designed at all; it looks like a basic template that came free with the software used to create it. 

Without the BBC logo... 
[Image: bbc-news-now-00.jpg]
...there's little in the visual design that's at all distinctive, or easily recognisable as belonging to BBC News -- unlike, say, the globe, with its widely familiar elements like the animated pulses, and the cat's cradle. As a piece of branding, this is a step back from what came before. 

We even have exactly the same truncated theme music used elsewhere. Nothing in the aural branding to distinguish this "three hours of fast-moving news" from a regular TOTH bulletin. 

The stories and packages are the same too, with little evidence of News Now being any more "fast-moving" than any other hour. The studio looks the same as it usually does, with no programme branding. There's not even a tag/bug in the lower-thirds with the name of the programme. 

What is the purpose of having three hours of separately branded programming when the branding is so weak (and so briefly seen), and the structure and content of the programme differs so little to other hours of the day?
Couldn’t disagree more. The News Now titles look like someone touching the screen and dragging to the left to refresh and just as they let go the BBC blocks animate. It really parallels the BBC News app look and I think that’s really clever.

Sorry to be the odd one out!

In fact if people can’t see the above perhaps they’re not qualified to slag off other people’s design.

There seems to be an opinion that complicated equals good and simple equals bad. This is so wrong.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 2 users Like Moz's post:
  • strollfan, UTVLifer

My expectations of BBC News Now are low so I don’t think it’s that bad. Keeping the same fast-paced format of the generic NC newscasts is fine for me - well actually I think they did the best of this bad situation.

But on Verified Live… One hour in and there is only a 2.5-minute-long segment from BBC Verify - and it’s not live… Are they going to repeat the same pre-recorded VT on the second hour?

Ros Atkins’ explainer was also on today’s One O’clock News but what’s aired there was even longer than what’s on a programme showing the BBC Verify logo at the beginning.
[-] The following 4 users Like Frances's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice

(22-05-2023, 03:03 PM)ALV Wrote:  [Image: 60dc4328fd4f36fbba95ab6eb602aa02-png.jpg]
From the makers of "BBC News Now with Maryam Moshiri News" comes "BBC Verified Live with Matthew Amroliwala BBC Verify News".

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

With regard to those News Now titles. Would several things slightly help:
1: The pulse rings being centred on to the screen instead of being pushed off to the left.
and
2: While the mini 'trundle' of Camera One does its fly by the pulse remain on screen and only disappearing when the transition to Camera Three happens. Plus judging by how the pulse settled it would frame the presenter well.
[-] The following 2 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice