BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

As an ardent follower of the BBC's domestic and international news channels since the inception of BBC World Service Television, I have borne witness to their impressive evolution over the years. Recent events, such as the pandemic and subsequent cutbacks, have necessitated significant changes in broadcasting strategies, and the merger of the two channels seemed both inevitable and promising. I envisioned this union as a rejuvenation, an opportunity for domestic viewers to benefit from the global reach and exceptional expertise of BBC News and for international viewers to experience a blend of BBC World News' profitability and the centrality of the domestic News Channel within BBC News.

However, what we currently face is a cyclical repetition of modest broadcasts, inconsistent presentation that, at its worst, feels inexpensive, and an unfortunate disregard for some of the most presenters and journalists in the industry. The editorial decisions have been unfulfilling to both the domestic and international audiences. The question now is, what course should the channel adopt moving forward?

Let's consider the editorial choices. The new channel's focus on UK-centric news, such as issues like Philip Schofield, appears incongruous when juxtaposed with matters of true international importance, such as the situation in Sudan. The channel should prioritize globally relevant stories. After all, domestic viewers already have an array of programs directly catering to them: Breakfast, News at 1 / 6 / 10, Newsnight, Politics Live, and more.

Additionally, simulcasting BBC One and Two output on the domestic feed is unnecessary since it's already available on the BBC's two most viewed channels, and sign-language support can be provided via iPlayer.

Now, coming to the channel's unique selling point. The BBC has the opportunity to offer something truly unique to UK viewers - a blend of top-tier international broadcast journalism, enriched by the best of UK journalistic traditions and talent, something they can't find on Sky News, GB News, or TalkTV. It could also present international viewers with a 24/7 rolling news channel embodying the ethos and standards of public service broadcasting, a distinct feature they can't find elsewhere.

On the topic of presentation, an aspect we all share a profound interest in here on Pres Cafe, there's a pressing need for investment. The channel should develop engaging title sequences, consistent color schemes and designs, memorable music and sonic designs, vibrant graphics, and state-of-the-art studios to truly set the tone of this new entity. The design needs to be dynamic, appealing to a diverse audience, and reflective of the channel's global focus. This amalgamation of elements should create a harmonious package, instantly recognizable and resonating with the channel's identity - a feat that the BBC has previously achieved with its news channels, courtesy of its unmatched creative talents.

In conclusion, it is high time for the channel to reclaim its glory, by reinvigorating itself and offering its viewers an unparalleled news broadcasting experience.
[-] The following 16 users Like batavia's post:
  • AndrewP, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, DTV, Frances, harshy, Jayesyn, Jeff, Jhicks, Kojak, MarkL, oscillon, Quantum+83, seenee, Stuart, thePineapple

(26-05-2023, 04:15 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Listening to the “wireless” in the car on the way home. “Rhythm is a Dancer” played. Realizing that the thunderclaps and drumbeat were quite reminiscent of the BBC News theme and countdown. Probably even more so when the vocals are removed and the music is played alone.

Tell me I’m not wrong.

Anyway, moving on…….

That's where David Lowe got his inspiration from...
m.youtube.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, JamesWorldNews, Quantum+83

Wow, never realized that. Of course 90s dance is the sound in which BBC's revolutionary music theme was created so it only makes sense. I wish someone would dare to do something equally daring and interesting today. BBC certainly is not interested ....
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83

(26-05-2023, 05:46 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 04:15 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Listening to the “wireless” in the car on the way home. “Rhythm is a Dancer” played. Realizing that the thunderclaps and drumbeat were quite reminiscent of the BBC News theme and countdown. Probably even more so when the vocals are removed and the music is played alone.

Tell me I’m not wrong.

Anyway, moving on…….

That's where David Lowe got his inspiration from...
m.youtube.com 
Are you serious? If so, I genuinely never knew it. It only clicked with me on that drive home.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990

(26-05-2023, 06:07 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Wow, never realized that. Of course 90s dance is the sound in which BBC's revolutionary music theme was created so it only makes sense. I wish someone would dare to do something equally daring and interesting today. BBC certainly is not interested ....
How about a dubstep theme?  Big Grin

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like Studio7's post:
  • TVenthusiasm, xlalonce

(26-05-2023, 06:08 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 05:46 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  That's where David Lowe got his inspiration from...
m.youtube.com 
Are you serious? If so, I genuinely never knew it. It only clicked with me on that drive home.

No sorry, I meant it in a jokey way Big Grin (I know sarcasm doesn't always come across well on the internet).
[-] The following 5 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, JamesWorldNews, Quantum+83, TVenthusiasm

Not related but Simon McCoy has just been on Talk TV apealing for help as he's currently doing celebrity hunted!
[-] The following 7 users Like TheJarv's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, Quantum+83, thePineapple, TVenthusiasm, UTVLifer

Some of the gear changes on the combined channel are worthy of the One Show - nearly 10 minutes at the start of the 7pm programme (now branded the Global Daily) on the statement from Philip Schofield, shortly followed by ‘Now to the rest of the day’s news and Ukraine has faced…’
[-] The following 10 users Like Critique's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, TVFan, UTVLifer

I don't think Yalda was very happy to have to do that story at the top of the hour.
[-] The following 10 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, Jeff, matthieu1221, Newsroom, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(26-05-2023, 07:21 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I don't think Yalda was very happy to have to do that story at the top of the hour.

I was having the same chat with a friend at dinner. She looked horrified to have to explain this on a global branded show. 

Dire!
[-] The following 6 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, Quantum+83, UTVLifer