BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

This tweet from Rob Burley sums up pretty well the state of BBC news & current affairs right now.
twitter.com 

We're going to get the "live" feed on the BBC News website again on Monday morning, aren't we, when Holly Willoughby returns to This Morning? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the minute-by-minute updates on last Monday's edition of This Morning on the BBC News website, telling us everything that the presenters were saying and what was coming up on the programme. Really not good at all.
[-] The following 10 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, matthieu1221, Quantum+83, Radio_man, Studio7, SuperSajuuk, TVFan, UTVLifer

(03-06-2023, 05:03 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Didn't they also show the interview in full, earlier in the day, when the young newbie with glasses presented the opt out? I guess that was not enough for the Schofield hungry UK audiences.

Fair enough to give it a primetime outing too though.  

The problem here isn't deciding to give an hour to a long form interview - the problem is with the make up of the other 23 hours.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

There was an admission by the BBC ion Newswatch that they doctored footage which conveniently made the Police look bad.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart

When was the last time BBC News devoted two 45 minute slots for an interview with a PM, President, statesmen, Nobel Prize winner or someone of real significance?

I suspect that’s more the uk politicians don’t like to be scrutinised for those sort of lengthy periods!
[-] The following 4 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Will

(03-06-2023, 01:26 AM)oscillon Wrote:  An unusual move by the Beeb to run live at 1am UKT "a special program on the artificial intelligence" (from DC, with Sumi anchoring) instead of a regular news bulletin.

Given that the previous hour's bulletin was all Biden, and at 23:30 there was a Biden pre-show in the form of Americast repeat, this leaves an uncomfortable 2,5 hour gap without any non-Biden news (and it's not like there ain't any)
They've done this at least once last month. I think it's now a regular feature on Fridays where the BBC become CNN for a few hours. I can't confirm if they've done it for other Fridays because I haven't bothered to watch on a regular basis. The BBC is simply not worth my time when I can get better international news coverage from other channels.
(03-06-2023, 07:29 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  There was an admission by the BBC ion Newswatch that they doctored footage which conveniently made the Police look bad.
The BBC can't do proper international news coverage anymore, can't do UK news anymore and now can't even counter mistruths because they've started misleading the public. What has happened?
[-] The following 2 users Like Independent's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

They cut the 15 seconds between the Cardiff e-bike that crashed passing the camera and the police van chasing it. That's a bit misleading, but normal practise on TV imo (you can't expect someone to watch a blank picture - just show the highlight), and I don't think it's that worthy of criticism.

Also, it wasn't the main CCTV clip they used as part of the story, so I doubt anyone would come away with a really warped view of what happened because of it.

(It's at ~10mins into the programme)
[-] The following 2 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

Newshound47 Wrote:There was an admission by the BBC ion Newswatch that they doctored footage which conveniently made the Police look bad.
I was going to mention that last week but forgot

They cut the middle out of the clip, probably for timing reasons

But didn’t realise that the length of the clip was a key part of it - showing how far away the police van was from the kids on bikes, so couldn’t be clipped out

At best it was a poor decision by someone in production who didn’t understand the importance of the gap, at worst it was deliberately misleading to add fuel to the fire
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

(03-06-2023, 09:49 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I was going to mention that last week but forgot

They cut the middle out of the clip, probably for timing reasons

But didn’t realise that the length of the clip was a key part of it - showing how far away the police van was from the kids on bikes, so couldn’t be clipped out

At best it was a poor decision by someone in production who didn’t understand the importance of the gap, at worst it was deliberately misleading to add fuel to the fire

They already have the procedures in place to make edits obvious for coverage of parliamentary proceedings, so you would expect this sort of situation would be covered as well.