ITN Nostalgia

ITN’s Giles Smith:

twitter.com 

Quite a rare find here - just over an hour of The Channel Four Daily from February 1992!

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • DE88, Kojak, Newsroom, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, woodnorton

According to my parents, I learned to tell the time thanks to that show, comparing the on screen digital clock to a carraige clock we had on the top of the TV.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

(22-05-2023, 10:27 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Quite a rare find here - just over an hour of The Channel Four Daily from February 1992!

www.youtube.com 
Great find! I always liked the Channel Four Daily. That example is from the second incarnation, with everyone in the same studio and an odd obsession with venetian blinds and empty binders on bookshelves.

C4 cancelled it because of low viewing figures, but I thought the whole point of the channel was not to be chasing ratings.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • DE88, woodnorton

The Channel 4 Daily had to share a studio with other ITN news programmes. In 1992 they were coming from Grays Inn Road, so they used either Studio 1 or 2, maybe a bit of a squeeze for them, as those two studios were busy in 1992.

(22-05-2023, 10:45 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 10:27 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Quite a rare find here - just over an hour of The Channel Four Daily from February 1992!

www.youtube.com 
Great find! I always liked the Channel Four Daily. That example is from the second incarnation, with everyone in the same studio and an odd obsession with venetian blinds and empty binders on bookshelves.

C4 cancelled it because of low viewing figures, but I thought the whole point of the channel was not to be chasing ratings.

Channel 4 knew in 1991 that come 1993 they would have to chase ratings, as their funding mechanism changed, as they were allowed to sell their own advertising, and not receive any subscription money from the ITV regional companies - so come 1992, Channel 4 knew where their future was heading and axed it, for the more commercially viable Big Breakfast. 

Of course Channel 4 had to keep to a remit of news, so ITN was contracted to provide 2 minute news updates every 20 minutes during The Big Breakfast's two hours on air.

(22-05-2023, 10:45 PM)Stuart Wrote:  C4 cancelled it because of low viewing figures, but I thought the whole point of the channel was not to be chasing ratings.
Pre-1993 maybe, but after 1993 they had to sell their own advertising so ratings became a lot more important. Presumably if the old funding model for Channel 4 had continued into 1993, it wouldn't have been axed.

(22-05-2023, 10:50 PM)James2001 Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 10:45 PM)Stuart Wrote:  C4 cancelled it because of low viewing figures, but I thought the whole point of the channel was not to be chasing ratings.
Pre-1993 maybe, but after 1993 they had to sell their own advertising so ratings became a lot more important. Presumably if the old funding model for Channel 4 had continued into 1993, it wouldn't have been axed.

The old Channel 4 funding model was really the bedrock of security for the channel - once that was abolished it was tough decisions for Channel 4 - being publicly funded but receiving no public money, and from 1993 no money from the ITV companies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Newsroom

(22-05-2023, 10:46 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The Channel 4 Daily had to share a studio with other ITN news programmes. In 1992 they were coming from Grays Inn Road, so they used either Studio 1 or 2, maybe a bit of a squeeze for them, as those two studios were busy in 1992.

This image from Martin Lambie Nairn's book shows what I think is the C4 Daily set - the 'tile' markings on the floor seem to be a give away. It looks to have been sharing with (at least) C4 News.

[Image: Picture2.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • JMT1985, Stuart

itsrobert Wrote:
Newsroom Wrote:Can you solve the problem of finding the other clips ;-)

Is it this one?

youtu.be 

The reporter isn't in the studio but the 2-way is conducted via a monitor which was very rare in this particular studio.

That's it! Thank you. That monitor would lead you or I to believe it was from the NAT studio in the basement.

Sorry to bump this up by a lot but got a little buzz from the main current ITV News thread.

Leafing through TV Live like a magazine (as one does from time to time). I'm looking through the 2009-2013 era. Is it me or does the field of depth just play tricks on one's mind. The virtual architecture is just crazy.

[Image: 18-10.jpg]
[Image: 21-11.jpg]
[Image: 23-9.jpg]
[Image: 35-7.jpg]
( Source for All Images: tvlive.site  )
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • Stuart