BBC iPlayer

(11-06-2023, 10:22 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Mostly. Tennant's last four episodes were HD.

Yes, everything before that was recorded on Digibeta in SD at 50i and then filmised in post-production to 25p. On the DVD and Blu-ray releases you can see deleted scenes in their raw format, and they have 'soap opera motion'. I daresay, if the original tapes still exist and if somebody had the time and massive budget to do it, you could do a complete rebuild on those episodes, with almost 20 years' advancements in deinterlacing, and you'd get much better picture quality out of it. But that's another story!
[-] The following 3 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AndrewP, fatal paper cut, Ma76

Noticed Red Dwarf is on the iPlayer now, quite interesingly including the Dave episodes (apart from Back To Earth anyway... but that was dire so no real loss).
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, London Lite, Ma76

A few Dave, Drama and Alibi shows have made their way to the BBC lately.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76

In all honesty I think of Father Brown being more of an Alibi show than a BBC One commission, largely because I see it on there.

(20-06-2023, 03:06 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A few Dave, Drama and Alibi shows have made their way to the BBC lately.

They do wholly own UKTV now. They might as well merge UKTV Play into iPlayer entirely.
[-] The following 4 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, AndrewP, ethanjbrady, Roger Darthwell

And have adverts on BBC iPlayer? NO WAY!

Even S4C doesn't have adverts on BBC iPlayer.

Putting all these old series in full on the iPlayer is great for the licence fee payer but have to wonder if it's good for the BBC's own commercial revenue - there is little point in using UKTV Play or paying for a service like BritBox when the content is available free and ad free via the iPlayer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76

Being 50fps means the content is superior on the iPlayer than it would be on any of those other services too.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, Ma76

if iPlayer introduced 1080p to all devices in addition to the 50fps, it'd easily be the best of the PSB VOD apps.

Luckily I have a supported device which allows me to watch iPlayer VOD content in full HD, but the live channels are still either 720p or 540p SD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Ma76

Though I'd argue 720p50 is itself a significant improvement over 1080p25 even if the resolution is lower. Far too much focus on resolution being the be all and end all these days- while sticking with the 24fps frame rate that only even exists because it was the bare minimum they could get away with in the 1920s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Ma76