BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(27-06-2023, 01:20 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I distinctly remember her doing some daytime summaries on weekday BBC One year's ago before they were axed but don't think she's ever done a full bulletin. Not sure if it's her first time in B.

Might be because Huw was on last minute at the weekend so is taking time off to compensate. I noticed Reeta did both the 1 & 10 yesterday. Maybe Reeta/Jane will be doing the 10 tonight.
Prior to the news channels merging, Martine Croxall or Joanna Gosling would've no doubt covered.
[-] The following 8 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, Ma76, Quantum+83, Robinho02, Rolling News, Superman1986, UTVLifer

Lucy Hockings is also back on BBC News Now (first time IIRC).
[-] The following 6 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AJB39, Ma76, Michael 18, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

What they should have done from the start was made the lower thirds a single line with logo, clock and ticker. Then above it the individual programmes can generate their own graphics. It would save the Singapore issue, make broadcasting from Washington easier, mean that Breakfast could still take the ticker on the news channel and allow Newsnight's graphics to go down to an acceptable height.

They could even use a modified version of the format used for Talking Business, HardTalk and others for all programmes to actually make it feel like one integrated channel. I've also put an idea of how this might look on my twitter.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 7 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Daveuk, JosiahStuart, Juicy Joe, Ma76, Quantum+83

What could this mean?

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like TVHead's post:
  • chrisherald, Ma76

I really just don't understand the point of the change to opaque red - all other BBC News outlets (e.g. the regional programmes, the national bulletins, international services, Breakfast), continue to use the black translucent straps. Totally baffled why they have changed them so it doesn't match anything else. Plus the fact that it blocks so much of the picture.... the pictures of any news story should be the focus for the eye - not a whacking mass of red which keeps pulling your eye away from what is happening. Red on white is not easy for reading either.

Some very strange design choices going on lately on the channel and struggling to see who is thinking that this a) looks good to the viewer and b) has a clear reason why it needed changing.

Can they pay James Mobbs for a week or two to polish everything back up and get it back to something consistent again? The whole playing around with the title cards, straps and ticker is simply bizarre, just feels rushed, disjointed and sadly, at times... cheap.

Don't like to be negative as there's a lot of promising changes and the team are obviously trying really hard with an obvious massive cut in resource. There's a lot of very talented people who must either be restricted in what they can now do or have left as we've seen much more stylish presentation in the past. I'm hoping this is simply a temporary blip in The Matrix!

(27-06-2023, 05:31 PM)Earlie37 Wrote:  I really just don't understand the point of the change to opaque red - all other BBC News outlets (e.g. the regional programmes, the national bulletins, international services, Breakfast), continue to use the black translucent straps. Totally baffled why they have changed them so it doesn't match anything else. Plus the fact that it blocks so much of the picture.... the pictures of any news story should be the focus for the eye - not a whacking mass of red which keeps pulling your eye away from what is happening. Red on white is not easy for reading either.

Some very strange design choices going on lately on the channel and struggling to see who is thinking that this a) looks good to the viewer and b) has a clear reason why it needed changing.

Can they pay James Mobbs for a week or two to polish everything back up and get it back to something consistent again? The whole playing around with the title cards, straps and ticker is simply bizarre, just feels rushed, disjointed and sadly, at times... cheap.

Don't like to be negative as there's a lot of promising changes and the team are obviously trying really hard with an obvious massive cut in resource. There's a lot of very talented people who must either be restricted in what they can now do or have left as we've seen much more stylish presentation in the past. I'm hoping this is simply a temporary blip in The Matrix!

James Mobbs would make a way more consistent look for BBC News definitely.
[-] The following 2 users Like Edogawa Ranpo's post:
  • chrisherald, SlimyTrain

Tina Daheley due to present tonight Ten
[-] The following 2 users Like watchingtv's post:
  • Michael 18, Quantum+83

(27-06-2023, 05:46 PM)watchingtv Wrote:  Tina Daheley due to present tonight Ten
Source?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Quantum+83, watchingtv

(27-06-2023, 06:07 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Source?

https://twitter.com/ClareNews2/status/1673568614354485248?s=20
[-] The following 6 users Like watchingtv's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, Ma76, oscillon, Superman1986

Excellent. Tina is brilliant. Huw’s eventual successor I reckon.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • AverageOrangeTurnip, chrisherald, Rolling News, thePineapple