BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(17-08-2023, 03:12 PM)DTV Wrote:  Though I suppose that would be the BBC's defence - the most senior World News presenters were the most senior and best paid presenters across the two news channels (excluding those who were de facto largely network presenters), they wouldn't have got that gig in the first place if BBC executives didn't already feel they were better than the others. Whether that is right is debateable, but their appointment wasn't the most surprising.

Plus, I feel that the World/UK background thing is overdone - unless plans changed rapidly, it's clear they were never going down the full world news route and three of the five presenters had considerable domestic experience - Amroliwala as an NC presenter for 17 years, Moshiri as an NC business presenter and Fraser as one of the lead Brexit reporters and UK-oriented 100 Days presenter.

Spot on, nobody can argue that any of those who lost out were better than those chosen.

It spoke volumes the 5 main faces came from World News. Guess this inquiry might explain why the 5 dumped UK presenters weren't immediately made redundant.
[-] The following 14 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, KatsKaravan, London Lite, News76, Newsroom, Nige, Quantum+83, Reith85, Rolling News, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(17-08-2023, 04:46 PM)cando Wrote:  Spot on, nobody can argue that any of those who lost out were better than those chosen.
Respectfully, not quite sure I agree. Certainly it's fair to say the ones chosen are mostly very good, but so were the presenters who 'lost out'. I suppose it shows just how many excellent presenters are at the BBC. 

I generally support the changes made this year, but still don't understand why the old NC presenters haven't been allowed to at least cover weekends and absences. The shifts are there and it would be surely be cheaper to use them than to pay freelancers?

(17-08-2023, 05:26 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It spoke volumes the 5 main faces came from World News.  Guess this inquiry might explain why the 5 dumped UK presenters weren't immediately made redundant.

And then when that's over, they need to be back on air-sooner rather than later.

(17-08-2023, 04:46 PM)cando Wrote:  Spot on, nobody can argue that any of those who lost out were better than those chosen.

Respectfully... have you been watching Stranger Things on repeat and found yourself in the Upside Down world?
[-] The following 6 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, Frances, KatsKaravan, News76, Rolling News, Transmission

Except you can argue that point and I will.

Without access to the job description,  interview answers etc you simply can't make that assertion. YOU may see it that way, and that's absolutely fine,  but it's not based on the legally required objective criteria. 

You also wouldn't be likely to say that in the face of one of those who missed out in the hiring process.

Having seen focus research from 21/22 for News broadcasting, I can tell your expectations of who's a winner and who's  not with audiences is likely far removed from reality (as were my own!)
[-] The following 9 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, Brekkie, KatsKaravan, lepeterrr, News76, Newsroom, Quantum+83, Rolling News

(17-08-2023, 05:26 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It spoke volumes the 5 main faces came from World News.  Guess this inquiry might explain why the 5 dumped UK presenters weren't immediately made redundant.
Does it though? You can equally argue that they picked names from World News to make the international audience less alienated with the significant increase in domestic news. Or, you know, that when looking for senior news presenters with experience of broadcasting internationally and good knowledge of foreign affairs, they opted to go for a set of senior news presenters with experience of broadcasting internationally and good knowledge of foreign affairs.

Also, of the five 'dumped' presenters, three of them were either wholly or primarily World News presenters. I have no idea why some people are so intent on turning everything into some sort of conspiracy against the News channel. I mean, of the what eight NC presenters at the start of the year, one quit, one moved back to radio, four got fully promoted to network and two have been off screen but still employed. It's hardly been a cull.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • all new phil, bkman1990, chrisherald

(17-08-2023, 06:35 PM)DTV Wrote:  Does it though?
Yes it does

(17-08-2023, 06:35 PM)DTV Wrote:  Does it though? You can equally argue that they picked names from World News to make the international audience less alienated with the significant increase in domestic news. Or, you know, that when looking for senior news presenters with experience of broadcasting internationally and good knowledge of foreign affairs, they opted to go for a set of senior news presenters with experience of broadcasting internationally and good knowledge of foreign affairs.

Also, of the five 'dumped' presenters, three of them were either wholly or primarily World News presenters. I have no idea why some people are so intent on turning everything into some sort of conspiracy against the News channel. I mean, of the what eight NC presenters at the start of the year, one quit, one moved back to radio, four got fully promoted to network and two have been off screen but still employed. It's hardly been a cull.

The facts are as follows:

Joanna Gosling chose not to take part in the farsical interview process that we are now finally finding out was indeed a farce. She went to Radio some months on. 

Karin Gianone works for BBC News and is in a holding pattern.
Kasia Madera works for BBC News and is in a holding pattern.
Annita McVeigh As above.
Martine Croxall - As above.
Geeta Guru Murthy - As above.
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, KatsKaravan, News76, UTVLifer

Employee relations at BBC News don't sound great at the moment. Whether it's Newsnight investigating one of their own with Huw Edwards (and in very poor taste, putting the report to air on the same night as it's announced he's been admitted to hospital in a mental health crisis),
or this dispute over the hiring process of the 5 chief presenters, only for one of them to leave a few months later as they are not happy in the role.
And then the ongoing saga of 5 former presenters deliberately being kept off air on full pay as management can't decide either how to let them go, presumably without legal action, or what role to give them on the new News Channel, presumably at a pay level the presenters will be willing to accept.