BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I do think there is an interesting discussion to be had about the future of the BBC network bulletins separate from the on going discussions regarding the news channel as they are all technically without a lead presenter at the moment (and even with Huw in the mix the Ten was increasingly without him anyway). Indeed was going to set up a thread but think it would inevitably fall into the fantasy rota trap.

Personally I think the 1, 6 and 10 should have a dedicated presenter who hosts most the bulletins but I suspect the current arrangements of it being a lottery as to who might be hosting will largely remain in place as that is how TV seems to work nowadays, although they are fortunate there is strength in depth amongst the main network team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, what

(02-09-2023, 04:58 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  It looks as if someone has just opened photoshop, selected the gradient tool and randomly dragged the pointer across the screen.....

What is it meant to represent.

My initial reaction was that it was supposed to be a radar screen - perhaps some sort of metaphor for keeping watch on everything BBC News… which actually isn’t a bad concept.

Still looks sh*t though.

(02-09-2023, 06:49 PM)Spencer Wrote:  My initial reaction was that it was supposed to be a radar screen - perhaps some sort of metaphor for keeping watch on everything BBC News… which actually isn’t a bad concept.

Still looks sh*t though.
I think I said when the branded titles were brought out a few months back that they do all look very concept arty - like, you'd understand if these were proofs of concept that were meant to be used as a placeholder during rehearsals.
[-] The following 11 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chevron, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, LDN, Quantum+83, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(02-09-2023, 05:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Personally I think the 1, 6 and 10 should have a dedicated presenter who hosts most the bulletins but I suspect the current arrangements of it being a lottery as to who might be hosting will largely remain in place as that is how TV seems to work nowadays, although they are fortunate there is strength in depth amongst the main network team.
I guess with Huw still being suspended they're unlikely to change the current arrangement. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if having a specific presenter for each bulletin would likely to result in some presenters wanting to be paid more.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83

(02-09-2023, 07:00 PM)Keith Wrote:  I guess with Huw still being suspended they're unlikely to change the current arrangement. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if having a specific presenter for each bulletin would likely to result in some presenters wanting to be paid more.
Also wouldn't be surprised if the Huw scandal has put them off having all their senior news eggs in one basket.
[-] The following 9 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Keith, London Lite, Newsroom, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(02-09-2023, 05:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I do think there is an interesting discussion to be had about the future of the BBC network bulletins separate from the on going discussions regarding the news channel as they are all technically without a lead presenter at the moment (and even with Huw in the mix the Ten was increasingly without him anyway).  Indeed was going to set up a thread but think it would inevitably fall into the fantasy rota trap.

Personally I think the 1, 6 and 10 should have a dedicated presenter who hosts most the bulletins but I suspect the current arrangements of it being a lottery as to who might be hosting will largely remain in place as that is how TV seems to work nowadays, although they are fortunate there is strength in depth amongst the main network team.
To be fair, the network bullitens have been more consistent in the past few weeks than it has in a while, the bulk of the 6 & 10 in the past few weeks/months when I've seen have been Sophie and Clive/Reeta respectively with Ben and Jane on the 1.
[-] The following 8 users Like TVfan23's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Reith85, Stuart, UTVLifer

To be honest

The BBC had just the task to reuse something like this for the branded shows, change some of the images and then the BBC News chamaleon logo with the current names at the end. Same music

That would work muuuuuuuuuuch better than the iStock/PowerPoint "brands"

Anyway. Davie, Turness and Royall know better than us, it seems Dodgy
[-] The following 9 users Like xlalonce's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ilsondan15, PWD, Quantum+83, Stuart, UTVLifer

I’d love to know what the briefing process if there is any other then, well we have to show this show to keep our promise to the licence fee payer of premium Uk content, but you can do anything you want to make us look like we really care about viewers comments….
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • Quantum+83, Stuart, TJTSW

(02-09-2023, 05:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I do think there is an interesting discussion to be had about the future of the BBC network bulletins separate from the on going discussions regarding the news channel as they are all technically without a lead presenter at the moment (and even with Huw in the mix the Ten was increasingly without him anyway).  Indeed was going to set up a thread but think it would inevitably fall into the fantasy rota trap.

If nothing else, trimming the network team would save money and further help the BBC defend its spending in the midst of a cost of living crisis. One quick look at the salary list will show the number of regular network presenters who are on over 100k.
[-] The following 1 user Likes what's post:
  • chrisherald

(02-09-2023, 07:00 PM)Keith Wrote:  I guess with Huw still being suspended they're unlikely to change the current arrangement. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if having a specific presenter for each bulletin would likely to result in some presenters wanting to be paid more.

And also the current arrangements were basically forced upon them as short of officially replacing somebody on long term sick leave for incurable cancer they couldn’t name new fixed presenters for the one or the six (given that Sophie officially moving on from the one would only have happened if she had been given the six).
[-] The following 2 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • UTVLifer, xlalonce