Mrs Brown's Boys

I remember some viewers scratching their heads at The Goes Wrong Show, which I thought was fantastic. That was another challenging BBC One commission as it didn't conform to the norms of standard comedy.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • fanoftv, WhoOdyssey

(09-09-2023, 10:09 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I'm not sure why you even need to google seeing as they're usually shown several times within an episode.

I've never watched a full episode. I can tell just by the bits I’ve seen it's not my thing so I just don't watch it.

(09-09-2023, 07:27 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  BBC saw the Christmas specials were getting tired and strained, with ratings really bad for Christmas 2021 and 2022 - so since they are paying Brendan, they may as well make him work for his money, and pad out four weeks for them. 

It is a cheap show to make - no location work - produced in BBC Scotland television studios, which is a lot cheaper than having it produced in say Pinewood Studios or Elstree Studios

I’m assuming this is speculation rather than being familiar with the matter… 

As far as we know from what has been reported, they are contracted to produce two specials a year until 2026. The BBC are not going to randomly force an extra four episodes one year outside of the contract in place and then not pay the writer and lead star to produce them. 

Thinking about it sensibly, I think it’s probably much more likely that Brendan O’Carroll approached the BBC with a desire to produce a fourth series outside of the two specials a year, and the BBC said yes. 

Given that the ratings are respectable enough and that BBC One generally lacks decently rated comedy, I’m sure they were very pleased to commission it.
[-] The following 3 users Like AaronTV's post:
  • Jeff, London Lite, TJTSW

(09-09-2023, 12:33 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think most the complaints come from lapsed fans rather than haters 
I don’t agree with that. The groups of people on Twitter who seem to have jumped on a bandwagon to hate the show seem to be unlikely to have watched MBB ever

It’s just been one of those popular things for people to feel part of online

I would say the reason there has been a sudden decision to do a series instead of just specials is that O'Carroll has realised that if he continues to sit back (literally) on the terms of a contract which states that he doesn't have to make an episode if it doesn't go out on Xmas Day, there won't be any more episodes of MBB after that contract ends. The amount of money involved for so little work plus poor viewing figures won't justify it. But I think he's left it too late because people have been left disappointed too many times already to care.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • Nige

Wasn't All Round to Mrs Brown’s axed because of Covid? It was put into the back burner, which is a shame.

(09-09-2023, 11:18 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  I would say the reason there has been a sudden decision to do a series instead of just specials is that O'Carroll has realised that if he continues to sit back (literally) on the terms of a contract which states that he doesn't have to make an episode if it doesn't go out on Xmas Day, there won't be any more episodes of MBB after that contract ends. The amount of money involved for so little work plus poor viewing figures won't justify it. But I think he's left it too late because people have been left disappointed too many times already to care.

Yet, he still doing his stage shows, people are still paying to see him live. Alot of people fall into this trap that if your not on TV you must either be crap, dead or useless, which isn't the case. Canon and ball, Freddie star, Ken Dodd, ETC ETC will still pulling in good number FOR years after their tv series ended.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • London Lite

(09-09-2023, 11:22 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Wasn't All Round to Mrs Brown’s axed because of Covid? It was put into the back burner, which is a shame.

Yet, he still doing his stage shows, people are still paying to see him live. Alot of people fall into this trap that if your not on TV you must either be crap, dead or useless, which isn't the case. Canon and ball, Freddie star, Ken Dodd, ETC ETC will still pulling in good number FOR years after their tv series ended.

Thanks to Lee Mack, the late Bobby Ball's career on tv resumed after he was cast on Not Going Out, but as you mentioned, Tommy and Bobby were still doing gigs until Bobby's passing.

(09-09-2023, 11:22 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Wasn't All Round to Mrs Brown’s axed because of Covid? It was put into the back burner, which is a shame.

Fair point but while the success of MBB in theatres did convince the BBC to bring it to TV and it was a hit, it no longer is and any further success in theatres doesn't really matter because the show is now judged on how it performs on TV.
  • Brekkie

(09-09-2023, 10:16 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I remember some viewers scratching their heads at The Goes Wrong Show, which I thought was fantastic.  That was another challenging BBC One commission as it didn't conform to the norms of standard comedy.

Although in many ways The Goes Wrong Show is about as a classic a comedy format as you can get - a good old fashioned farce.

I assume that has been axed.   Did find that rather enjoyable but probably something which is better as the odd special rather than a full series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • London Lite

It would good to see what people on other sites think of MBB but seemingly one of the more popular (Digital Spy) don't want pesky outsiders to do that.
  • AJB39