BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(16-09-2023, 08:43 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  I'm not sure what the merger has to do with human/software error.

There seems to be more of them it seems that’s twice today they’ve messed the toth, the output and the standards from NBH are just not up to the standards we’ve seen from bbc news in the past.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990

(16-09-2023, 08:43 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  I'm not sure what the merger has to do with human/software error.
Lack of humans?
[-] The following 6 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Moz, Quantum+83

How come these things never happen at CNN, for example. God knows, they have their own issues, but I don't remember ever seeing these sort of system /graphics meltdowns happening there. At the BBC, it's a norm, and to be honest it happened a lot before merger as we all know, but this year it has taken a whole new level of messiness.
[-] The following 9 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Reith85, Stuart, thePineapple, TVFan

How the hell was the countdown music not in synch with the countdown?

And on the other video the countdown wasn’t in synch with the actual top of the hour.

Don’t countdowns automatically hit the top of the hour, or are they played out manually and if they’re not started on time this happens?

Whatever, this sort of thing didn’t even happen when News 24 launched when there were errors all over the place.

Hard to watch.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 6 users Like Moz's post:
  • harshy, LDN, Rolling News, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer

What happened this evening with the 10pm hour?

On BBC One, Reeta presented a regular bulletin from Studio E.

On the UK BBC NC feed, Frankie McCamley presented a full half-hour edition of BBC News which appeared to be a UK-opt only, but came from Studio C and not the balcony area. I say this based on the fact that the 10pm hour at weekends is usually from Washington and that 1) the story focus was even more UK-heavy than usual and 2) Frankie mentioned the time at the end of the bulletin (which could have been a mistake, but I don’t think it was). There was also a sign-off of sorts, accompanied with the usual message to stay with BBC News. Interesting.

Could we start to see more of this over time, as even the BBC realise that the balcony studio isn’t working?
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • PatrZDZ

(17-09-2023, 12:17 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  What happened this evening with the 10pm hour?

On BBC One, Reeta presented a regular bulletin from Studio E.

On the UK BBC NC feed, Frankie McCamley presented a full half-hour edition of BBC News which appeared to be a UK-opt only, but came from Studio C and not the balcony area. I say this based on the fact that the 10pm hour at weekends is usually from Washington and that 1) the story focus was even more UK-heavy than usual and 2) Frankie mentioned the time at the end of the bulletin (which could have been a mistake, but I don’t think it was). There was also a sign-off of sorts, accompanied with the usual message to stay with BBC News. Interesting.

Could we start to see more of this over time, as even the BBC realise that the balcony studio isn’t working?

As far as I’m aware, they come from Washington from 11pm at the weekend. I’ve just checked the schedule for the World feed and they appeared to opt out for their own programming tonight around 10:10pm, which might explain why we were getting more time checks etc. The balcony area is never used at weekends (which I totally agree still looks awful).
[-] The following 2 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • chrisherald, oscillon

If the balcony is not used at weekends does this mean the UK has no facility to opt out if World are running a half hour bulletin?

I also noticed after a few days in Europe that the World feed ticker was including Five Live contact details and privacy notice.
[-] The following 4 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, oscillon, thePineapple

The Mail reporting that Simon McCoy is being eyed up to replace Yalda Hakim

mol.im 
[-] The following 4 users Like TheJarv's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Rolling News, thePineapple

(17-09-2023, 08:04 AM)TheJarv Wrote:  The Mail reporting that Simon McCoy is being eyed up to replace Yalda Hakim

mol.im 

That's an... erm... interesting strategy given they're already paying for 5 presenters of his calibre and they're on leave. 

It is a genuinely confusing move. If he's replacing Yalda then are they booting Maryam Moshiri out of the slot? Will he become the roving presenter doing Moshiri's old role? Not sure where else he would fit - unless he gets a permanent role in a different slot.

But in all of these circumstances, I don't see what he brings over one of 'the five'. Unless it's just not true, which is possible.

But, all that aside, what to we think about him coming back given he presented on GB News? Is that bad for impartiality? Would it taint his image with viewers?
[-] The following 6 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Frances, interestednovice

(16-09-2023, 09:48 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  How come these things never happen at CNN, for example. God knows, they have their own issues, but I don't remember ever seeing these sort of system /graphics meltdowns happening there. At the BBC, it's a norm, and to be honest it happened a lot before merger as we all know, but this year it has taken a whole new level of messiness.

This doesn't apply to the running order software, but the problem with the BBC is that it uses in house software (or indeed old commercial systems which they cannot update due to limitations at the moment). While at one time when this was created, this software was likely ahead of what was commercially available (it's very possible there was no system that did what was required) but now it is clunky and behind. This is changing very slowly, but some parts are not going to be replaced and just updated/re-written to be come compatible/stable with the latest OS etc. You have to remember as well that these systems have to talk to each other and when software is 20 years old at least speaking to something made five years ago (ie the running order software) on a new recent OS change thrown in, is it any wonder these things keep happening. Not forgetting some of the gallery hardware in London is now over 10 years old. And don't think this means they want to pay to replace this stuff, they would much rather pay for a new sofa! Although there has been a push of late to get the software up to modern standards when it is possible but it sometimes isn't. But I am sure they will iron it out and make it limp on for another decade! 

I have no idea if CNN or Sky use in house software, but it does seem they are ahead of the game and the BBC should really open the wallet and get these systems out of the way because all they do it get more buggy the older they become.