Irish TV Programmes

I'm just finished watching The Late Late Show from the RTÉ Player. I thought Patrick's first night as host of the show was really good. He is a much better presenter than Tubridy. The Late Late set is also a much better design than what Tubridy had in his show.

The night time backdrop of Dublin on Kielty's set looked nice. The new presentational elements including songs from bands and the new camera angles of the breaks provided a nice feel to the show's appearance of the new set. I thought it felt it provided a more free flowing and relaxed atmosphere coming from Studio 4.

I know that the guests for Patrick's first show were all Irish ones. I pretty much expected that on his first night. With the current writer and actors strikes ongoing in Hollywood. It would probably be bit of a struggle to get any actors involved in the SAG AFTRA union to come on the show to talk about their new roles in new movies and TV series.

I would rate Patrick's first night on the show 4 stars out of 5. He provided a really good start to the new season the show.

And I hope that it will remain at that standard or better every other Friday night in future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • AJB39

Looking at the set design, I thought it looks like they have moved the set closer to the audience - the band does not have much room, and also didn't it look like Patrick's seat behind the desk was a bit low for him, he sometimes looked like a schoolboy at the desk.

The guest list however is concerning - this was his first show, the big start to a new era and once again people will say they got their guests from the RTE canteen, the old phrase used about Tubridy's era - I think what was needed was a big British star to have appeared, shame it didn't happen.

His open monologue was very good, with a few punches thrown at RTE which I really liked with Patrick after throwing his punches at RTE said "this is where the RTE executives in the green room realise they might have booked the wrong pony"

I wonder if the joke name of the band went over the heads of some including the studio audience "Grant Thornton and the Flip Flops"
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • AJB39

Here's the opening and closing:

up.metropol247.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

(16-09-2023, 10:39 AM)TVenthusiasm Wrote:  Here's the opening and closing:

up.metropol247.co.uk 

Looking at the new set of RTE's "The Late Late Show with Patrick Kielty" from the clip on here and photos on Google, it's almost as if the set designers were inspired by the set of James Corden's "Late Late Show" that ended in the US. From the entrance onto the set to the interview area, etc, I can see the similarities there and I actually love it.
[-] The following 2 users Like JustJamie's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie

The whole thing is on RTE Player and surprisingly it's available in the UK

www.rte.ie 

(17-09-2023, 02:45 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The whole thing is on RTE Player and surprisingly it's available in the UK

www.rte.ie 

No surprises, as apart from sport, nearly all of RTE home produced content is available here in the UK through the RTE Player - I remember some years ago Niall Horan saying how each year in London he watches the Toy Show live on the RTE Player

Yeah, every programme on RTE Player is given an availability classification of Republic of Ireland, Island of Ireland (ie ROI & NI) or Worldwide depending on what rights RTE have. They strive to make as much available worldwide as possible if rights allow. Completely different attitude to the BBC and iPlayer where the BBC actually hold ROI rights to many of their programmes and still don’t make them available here (I Cant Believe it’s Not iPlayer on Sky besides).

(17-09-2023, 04:23 PM)Rdd Wrote:  Yeah, every programme on RTE Player is given an availability classification of Republic of Ireland, Island of Ireland (ie ROI & NI) or Worldwide depending on what rights RTE have. They strive to make as much available worldwide as possible if rights allow. Completely different attitude to the BBC and iPlayer where the BBC actually hold ROI rights to many of their programmes and still don’t make them available here (I Cant Believe it’s Not iPlayer on Sky besides).

Problem for the BBC is live streaming of their channels in the UK - I heard from someone at BBC Studios, they are always worried that Republic of Ireland viewers would use the streaming feature on the iPlayer and get around paying for the service - Sky, Virgin Media, Eir and Vodafone all offer the BBC television channels for a fee on their platforms.

I’d have bought that more 15 years ago, but there are now thousands of Irish viewers watching BBC channels for free on Freesat and I can’t believe that BBC Studios would be unaware of that. (It perhaps suits the narrative, probably more important to ITV and C5, that Freesat access in ROI is mere “overspill”).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • chinamug

(17-09-2023, 04:22 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  No surprises, as apart from sport, nearly all of RTE home produced content is available here in the UK through the RTE Player - I remember some years ago Niall Horan saying how each year in London he watches the Toy Show live on the RTE Player
Yes, no surprise The Late Late has been available in the UK for many years.