Irish TV Programmes

I've yet find anything that's actually geo-blocked on RTE Player. Even the live streams of the channels are viewable in the UK.

BBC will never allow the iPlayer to be fully accessed in the Republic of Ireland - yes, viewers can watch their channels on every Irish platform apart from Saorview, but that is all paid for by carriage deals (Freesat I feel is not a huge provider in Ireland)

BBC are under constant pressure, especially from the right wing media and this current conservative government, so they are holding onto their content on the iPlayer

However in this day and age, I wonder how many in Ireland use a VPN to gain access??

Freesat - or rather free to air satellite, as it’s rarer to find someone with an official Freesat branded receiver, since they can't be officially sold here (doesn’t stop anyone who wants one buying one in Newry or indeed on Amazon) - has become huge in Ireland in recent years, there’s a whole industry grown up surrounding installations of systems that often include combo boxes for both Saorview and free to air satellite. It wouldn’t be anywhere near pay-TV but it would still be a significant enough number to be in the 100,000s by now. TAM/Nielsen estimate it at about 18%*in terms of how they constitute their panel - they think it’s now bigger than cable (but nowhere near Sky’s 38%).

*That number would I acknowledge include a much smaller number of systems aimed at satellites other than Astra.

(18-09-2023, 10:25 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  BBC will never allow the iPlayer to be fully accessed in the Republic of Ireland - yes, viewers can watch their channels on every Irish platform apart from Saorview, but that is all paid for by carriage deals (Freesat I feel is not a huge provider in Ireland)

BBC are under constant pressure, especially from the right wing media and this current conservative government, so they are holding onto their content on the iPlayer

However in this day and age, I wonder how many in Ireland use a VPN to gain access??
I don't have the figures to hand but about 60% of households pay for Cable/Sky/telecoms TV.... About 25% Have Satellite /Freeview Saorview  10% are Saorview only and there are a few percent in the Republic that have only UK TV (last time I saw a figure for that was 2020 and it was 4%). So it's approaching 30% that don't pay for UK TV in the Republic. Plus there are a lot of houses that have Sky in the main room or rooms and have Feeds from Freeview in other rooms (Several Households I've visited do this in Donegal ) I've stayed in a few places on Holiday in the republic and almost all of them had Freesat or Freeview. 

There's no question that Virgin Media are losing viewers in the 25% of houses that have Freesat/Freeview and Saorview. You can watch the Rugby in HD or in Vaseline vision on Virgin Media One

Most people (under the age of 50) I know in the Republic use the iplayer almost as much as the RTE player. ITVX is fairly popular as well.

Sharon Ni Bheolain has left Crimecall with immediate effect.

Carla O'Brien has now been appointed as the new host of Crimecall when the new series returns to RTÉ One from next Monday.

The new series of Crimecall has unveiled a brand new look incorporating a new set and logo for the programme.

You can see a photo of it here in the article below.

Sharon Ní Bheolain Leaves RTÉ Show With Immediate Effect (evoke.ie)

(18-09-2023, 11:05 PM)chinamug Wrote:  I don't have the figures to hand but about 60% of households pay for Cable/Sky/telecoms TV.... About 25% Have Satellite /Freeview Saorview  10% are Saorview only and there are a few percent in the Republic that have only UK TV (last time I saw a figure for that was 2020 and it was 4%). So it's approaching 30% that don't pay for UK TV in the Republic. Plus there are a lot of houses that have Sky in the main room or rooms and have Feeds from Freeview in other rooms (Several Households I've visited do this in Donegal ) I've stayed in a few places on Holiday in the republic and almost all of them had Freesat or Freeview. 

There's no question that Virgin Media are losing viewers in the 25% of houses that have Freesat/Freeview and Saorview. You can watch the Rugby in HD or in Vaseline vision on Virgin Media One

Most people (under the age of 50) I know in the Republic use the iplayer almost as much as the RTE player. ITVX is fairly popular as well.
So it seems a large chunk of people on Ireland use a VPN then

So just have the RTE Player on, and Patrick's second show seems like he has been nobbled a bit, as his opening monologue is now axed. He went straight into bringing out his first three guests.

Maybe RTE management didn't like the jibes he did at them last week, and he has now axed the monologue - a shame, as Patrick's monologue was the best of the show last week.

(22-09-2023, 09:39 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So just have the RTE Player on, and Patrick's second show seems like he has been nobbled a bit, as his opening monologue is now axed. He went straight into bringing out his first three guests.

Maybe RTE management didn't like the jibes he did at them last week, and he has now axed the monologue - a shame, as Patrick's monologue was the best of the show last week.

Yeah me too - I laughed really hard at the monolohue and all the jabs at RTE!! What a shame he introduced his guests straight away!

Also, the introduction by Gay Byrne was trimmed:

up.metropol247.co.uk 

(18-09-2023, 09:33 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  I've yet find anything that's actually geo-blocked on RTE Player.  Even the live streams of the channels are viewable in the UK.

Anything they don’t have rights to outside of ROI, which is most of the content on RTE One and Two, is geoblocked. You won’t generally see programmes that are geo-blocked listed  on RTE Player if you’re outside of Ireland. 

Anyway, as I don’t think it’s been confirmed seems like presenting from Belfast is the solution Kielty’s Saturday show on 5 Live.

(23-09-2023, 06:08 PM)Jon Wrote:  Anything they don’t have rights to outside of ROI, which is most of the content on RTE One and Two, is geoblocked. You won’t generally see programmes that are geo-blocked listed  on RTE Player if you’re outside of Ireland. 

Anyway, as I don’t think it’s been confirmed seems like presenting from Belfast is the solution Kielty’s Saturday show on 5 Live.

That was already confirmed, Patrick travels to Belfast, probably straight after the show or very early on Saturday morning to be in BBC Broadcasting House, Belfast in time for the 9.00am start of his Saturday BBC Radio 5 Live show.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • AJB39