Thread Closed

Pick to become Sky Mix

You'd think the contract between them would be pretty clear on that, just like the contract between Sky and the Premier League would likely prevent them putting their own version of Match of the Day out earlier in the evening too.

It's more likely to be the sort of thing they're already showing on Sky Sports Mix or on their YouTube channel that's more likely to end up on Sky Mix, particularly womens sports I'd imagine.

I don't think though there has been any mention of additional sports content on Sky Mix though, but it's there in a better slot now moving forward if for example a Brit makes the US Open final and they opt to not keep it behind a pay wall.

(03-10-2023, 11:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  You'd think the contract between them would be pretty clear on that, just like the contract between Sky and the Premier League would likely prevent them putting their own version of Match of the Day out earlier in the evening too.

It's more likely to be the sort of thing they're already showing on Sky Sports Mix or on their YouTube channel that's more likely to end up on Sky Mix, particularly womens sports I'd imagine.   

I don't think though there has been any mention of additional sports content on Sky Mix though, but it's there in a better slot now moving forward if for example a Brit makes the US Open final and they opt to not keep it behind a pay wall.

Different kettle of fish to the Premier League though, where the BBC have a direct contract as do Sky (and TNT). 

With F1, Sky have the UK rights outright - FOM insist (among other things) that Sky must arrange FTA highlights + full British GP coverage.

How they achieve that is up to them, AIUI. Channel 4 purchase their rights from Sky; perhaps as part of that agreement Sky have committed to not showing any F1 programming on FTA elsewhere, but that's far from certain.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

I think it's a given though that any TV company buying highlights rights (or live rights), whether from another broadcaster or direct from the sports organising body, will ensure they have exclusivity of those rights.

Anyway - no point arguing over a non-existant scenario - I've got 7 bins to put out.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • LargelyALurker, thePineapple, watchingtv

(03-10-2023, 11:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think it's a given though that any TV company buying highlights rights (or live rights), whether from another broadcaster or direct from the sports organising body, will ensure they have exclusivity of those rights.

Anyway - no point arguing over a non-existant scenario - I've got 7 bins to put out.

The same way it's a-given that a TV company broadcasting highlights wouldn't agree to signpost a rival broadcaster with better rights to the same event, you mean?

It's entirely possible that either:

[*]Sky have agreed that Channel 4 has exclusive FTA rights consistently since 2019, and continue to do so in their new longer term agreement
[*]Sky previously agreed exclusive FTA rights, but going forward have not
[*]Sky have never agreed exclusivity of any sort with Channel 4, but have simply chosen not to put any Sky F1 programming out on their own FTA outputs

Sprint races are potentially an interesting opportunity which Sky could use as a shop window for their own output, and wouldn't necessarily detract from Channel 4's own coverage (which is very compromised for sprint weekends currently).

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

They've missed a trick. They should have called it "Sky Pick And Mix"...

Taxi For Hacker.
[-] The following 10 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • ANE, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisdafur, GMc, insert_good_username_here, RhysJR, Spencer, Stuart, Will

(04-10-2023, 10:07 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  They've missed a trick. They should have called it "Sky Pick And Mix"...
Taxi For Hacker.
forums.digitalspy.com 

someones already beat you to it Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • bkman1990

Interestingly, the Sky-published channel list for Sky Stream and Sky Glass refers to “Sky Challenge”.

Mistake or imminent rebrand?

www.sky.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

(04-10-2023, 07:17 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Interestingly, the Sky-published channel list for Sky Stream and Sky Glass refers to “Sky Challenge”.

Mistake or imminent rebrand?

www.sky.com 

They also list Challenge under the 'Other' section. I'd say just an error.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jake's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Stuart

Honestly, I am surprised that Pick is going to be under the Sky brand once more, but I can see why. Pick doesn't really do a good job promoting Sky. Yes, it airs the adverts constantly, and does promote premium Sky services, but it doesn't pop out as a sky channel, at least in my opinion.

I think, however, I do echo what other users have said: Sky and naming schemes have never made sense, and it would be nice for the channels to have a bit of a clean up in a year or two. Showcase should probably close, and they should move Simpsons to Sky Max (Though I would just rename the channel 'Sky Channel' again). I'd also merge Challenge with Sky Mix, just to boost the content, and to vary it up a bit.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

Why Sky Channel instead of Sky One?
Thread Closed