The Big Breakfast Discussion

(31-08-2023, 08:12 PM)Jon Wrote:  There’s was show called ‘Breakfast Time’ which was loosely based on it on the newly launch FX channel. That show was based in a real flat in New York, although the wider daytime schedule was also based on that building. 

The show later moved onto the main Fox Network, but the bosses didn’t really understand what made the format work and sanitised it.

I became aware from watching bits of two good but quite long YouTube videos about the subject.

I’d imagine they didn’t licence the format though.

m.youtube.com 

m.youtube.com 
Thanks.  That's the one.

Some shots of the short-lived brown house in this montage of Ant and Dec clips from Easter 1998:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • Brekkie

(31-08-2023, 08:12 PM)Jon Wrote:  There’s was show called ‘Breakfast Time’ which was loosely based on it on the newly launch FX channel. That show was based in a real flat in New York, although the wider daytime schedule was also based on that building. 

The show later moved onto the main Fox Network, but the bosses didn’t really understand what made the format work and sanitised it.

I became aware from watching bits of two good but quite long YouTube videos about the subject.

I’d imagine they didn’t licence the format though.

m.youtube.com 

m.youtube.com 

Fox After Breakfast wasn't helped by being scheduled at 9am against the popular Live with Regis and Kathie Lee in most markets.

In Chicago, Oprah (then at her peak) aired at 9am on the ABC station there which meant Live with Regis had to air on different stations (despite Disney-ABC producing Regis).

WLS-TV wouldn't pick up Live until 2013, one of a series of changes that year at ABC, along with the launch of Katie Couric's talk show, which saw General Hospital move out of the 3pm timeslot.

I very vaguely remember Santa's Stockings as a competition on the show with Johnny and Denise but don't remember it bring a scratchcard game similar to Jousey Housey and Big Breakfast Breakaway.

youtu.be 

A full-ish episode from from the Rick and Sharon era has appeared on Screenocean dated Friday December 6th:
licensing.screenocean.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like JasonB's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Flux, Otis Crump

(12-11-2023, 08:39 PM)JasonB Wrote:  A full-ish episode from from the Rick and Sharon era has appeared on Screenocean dated Friday December 6th:

I wonder why there's a snatch of the original opening theme, just before the revamped version plays?

(12-11-2023, 08:39 PM)JasonB Wrote:  A full-ish episode from from the Rick and Sharon era has appeared on Screenocean dated Friday December 6th:

Even at its worst it's still unlike anything currently out there at breakfast time.

Looking back, Rick really wasn't that bad. He's clearly feeling the need to carry the show himself - whether that's because Sharron didn't really offer much up, or because he was used to fronting Nickelodeon slots alone so steamrolled through without letting her interject, or a combination of both, who knows? With a stronger co-host he might have worked out.

The relaunch was visually totally misplaced though. The inside of the house is horrible with everyone bunched up in that sunken area. And for all the work and money they put into it, whose idea was it to keep an ugly uncovered white radiator slap bang in the middle of the "main" shot?!
[-] The following 2 users Like Flux's post:
  • Brekkie, fanoftv

They just played a clip on Packed Lunch whilst discussing the "weather girl" - no surprise Denise saying she made much of it up as she couldn't remember the info they'd got from ITN. Also don't get the point in C4 working with (and owning?) Screenocean to preserve content then ripping YouTube clips.

I do wonder how the 1996 revamp would have panned out without Sharon, and do we know if Johnny was in the frame at that point as he had previously auditioned whilst Gaby Roslin was still on the show.

I don't think it was all bad - taking Family of the Week out on the road was a good way to refresh two long term features, I quite liked the On the Farm segment though it wasn't as funny as it could have been and although it didn't feel like it at the time it was probably the right call to flesh out Vanessa's segment. I think in the mini-revamp the following January fleshing out Zig and Zag's segment into Alien Alarm (basically The Crunch either side of a cartoon) was a good move too. And however bad the show was over that year it was still far better than GMTV.

I just do not understand how Rick & Sharon happened as there is no chemistry there at all. Who saw the 2 of them together and thought ‘’eureka!’’?
I quite like the house though; I love the way it flows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • Brekkie

Something i never noticed before until i just found this clip. There are two phone cards on display here. One Gaby is holding with the phone numbers and one on the table shows the postal address. I always thought the postal address was always displayed on the back of the phone card.

www.youtube.com