BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The limitation with Singapore always used to be that they only had one usable feed back to the UK, so they can't produce the separate graphics feeds required for the UK / World differences. Not really a limitation of the graphics engine they're using over there, but more a connectivity issue.

Washington has had multiple feeds to and from the UK for a long time, so there should be no issue with originating the multiple graphics feeds from there.

Singapore has also always had noticeable latency on their lines, compared to the US, which may affect the ability to drive separate graphics engines in the UK from automation in the Singapore gallery.
[-] The following 8 users Like mcrdev's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, oscillon, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I think that possibly conflates a few issues. Singapore used to use a very basic studio, and “original Newsday” with Rico Hizon/Sharanjit Leyl and Babita Sharma/Kasia Madera was all done in London with Rico/Sharanjit simply sitting in a cupboard studio, a single camera shot as a feed back to Studio C in NBH and Singapore having a remote feed of autocue and talkback on a massive delay.

Things improved when they went to their new studio, which was built to have a catwalk, real window view and flexible rotating desk. Almost a hybrid of Studio C and old Studio B in NBH. The delay issue improved and they gained a proper gallery in Singapore, but I think they were still somewhat limited.

The main reason for graphical oddities is that they now don’t have a Viz engine (hardware) in their gallery to generate the caption animations and separate lower thirds (two outputs from the same gallery) which NBH uses. They can produce the programme on their own, but to get it to air they “run through” Studio C’s gallery back at NBH. That’s what Richard Murrel’s tweet was about. Studio C’s Viz engine produces the two feeds and outputs them. I believe, since Washington has Viz, they can do this themselves - but ultimately they probably go via NBH too as NBH send the feeds to Red Bee and the separate feed for the domestic NC goes through NBH as that has no proper playout.
[-] The following 9 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, ivlm001, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Would love to see Singapore get the necessary upgrades to control the channel on their own. Newsday is some of the most refreshing and original hours on the channel (RIP the London co-anchor format and old graphics). Would love to see a World News Asia come from SG at night too.
[-] The following 11 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bax, bkman1990, harshy, interestednovice, ivlm001, Superman1986, SuperSajuuk, thePineapple, xlalonce

Christian Fraser presenting on a Saturday!?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(18-11-2023, 02:34 PM)Moz Wrote:  Christian Fraser presenting on a Saturday!?

Lucy Hockings presented last Saturday afternoon. But the chief presenters are usually only brought in on weekends if there's major breaking/developing news. I'm not sure what makes today special?

Just watching on iplayer was it to do with SpaceX launch?

(18-11-2023, 02:53 PM)harshy Wrote:  Just watching on iplayer was it to do with SpaceX launch?
I've just watched that SpaceX report. Unfortunately it was ruined by the ludicrous and needlessly oversized red banner blocking out much of the picture and all the spacecraft telemetry data at the bottom of the screen.

Does nobody have a button to switch that banner off? It's now making their broadcasts uncomfortable to watch. Angry
[-] The following 12 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, interestednovice, News76, Quantum+83, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(18-11-2023, 03:13 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I've just watched that SpaceX report. Unfortunately it was ruined by the ludicrous and needlessly oversized red banner blocking out much of the picture and all the spacecraft telemetry data at the bottom of the screen.

Does nobody have a button to switch that banner off? It's now making their broadcasts uncomfortable to watch. Angry

Well I won’t comment other then everyone knows about my opinions on the red graphic :-D
[-] The following 9 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, interestednovice, News76, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

(18-11-2023, 02:45 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Lucy Hockings presented last Saturday afternoon. But the chief presenters are usually only brought in on weekends if there's major breaking/developing news. I'm not sure what makes today special?

Matthew Amroliwala and Maryam Moshiri have also presented weekends in recent weeks. Maybe it's going to become a regular thing?

(18-11-2023, 02:53 PM)harshy Wrote:  Just watching on iplayer was it to do with SpaceX launch?

Should the news channel really be used to advertise commercial companies?

(18-11-2023, 03:13 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I've just watched that SpaceX report. Unfortunately it was ruined by the ludicrous and needlessly oversized red banner blocking out much of the picture and all the spacecraft telemetry data at the bottom of the screen.

Long been an issue sadly - even worse with the pushbacks.   I remember with that vigil earlier this year the emotion being in what was said and etched on the face of the family members saying it, but that was lost by the needless graphics either obscuring or reducing the image.

A picture is worth more than a dozen words.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, Stuart, TJTSW