Sky TV presentation

Speaking of Sky Cinema - I caught a promo for Across the Spiderverse which ends with the Sky Cinema logo 'glitching' through multiversal variants like numerous things in the film do (including things like the Columbia Pictures logo) and there was definitely an early 90s-style logo in there somewhere. A nice touch.
[-] The following 4 users Like Transmission's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, interestednovice, thomash79, TVFan

(18-12-2023, 05:54 PM)Transmission Wrote:  Speaking of Sky Cinema - I caught a promo for Across the Spiderverse which ends with the Sky Cinema logo 'glitching' through multiversal variants like numerous things in the film do (including things like the Columbia Pictures logo) and there was definitely an early 90s-style logo in there somewhere. A nice touch.
Not only that, the 2007 and 2010 Sky Movies logos were featured too. Really good stuff
[-] The following 6 users Like Rex's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, London Lite, Stuart, Transmission

Not the only closure announcement today. Peacock has bitten the dust.
rxtvinfo.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • interestednovice

(18-12-2023, 06:26 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Not the only closure announcement today. Peacock has bitten the dust.
rxtvinfo.com 

Not surprising as I don't think Sky took the Peacock brand as far as they did in the States.

(18-12-2023, 06:26 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Not the only closure announcement today. Peacock has bitten the dust.
rxtvinfo.com 
The broadcasters have followed the the market by creating streaming services as opposed to linear channels as that's how many people now consume their media fix.

However, just as the broadcasting organisations have consolidated, so will their various streaming/catch-up services. People don't want to be paying for 2 or 3 different services from the same organisation.

Peacock's content will remain available, albeit just on other more successful services elsewhere in the UK. I think this is just a natural evolution of a new market.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice

Peacock shows didn't necessarily end up on the Sky version of it anyhow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice

(18-12-2023, 04:27 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I guess a "free" (to basic subscribers) Sky Cinema Mix is unlikely.
I'd argue that Sky Showcase and Mix actually negate the idea of a Cinema Mix being introduced. They show enough films during primetime to actually give people a taste of the Cinema content, and the vast majority is being shown on-demand so I strongly believe another linear channel for movies doesn't work taking into account the current state of Sky's channels and the television industry's means of airing films today.
[-] The following 7 users Like Rex's post:
  • Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here, Jeff, Stuart, UTVLifer

(18-12-2023, 11:13 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The broadcasters have followed the the market by creating streaming services as opposed to linear channels as that's how many people now consume their media fix.

I'd say it was a confusing proposition when you already had the likes of Skys channels and on-demand and Now with the fact NBC is not well known here and it never launched as a standalone app on other devices. The idea of Now being available to Sky subscribers seems also to have been quietly dropped (e.g. www.choose.co.uk )

Linear channels are clearly dying unless you package it as a FAST channel so a focus on streaming was not necessarily wrong but in this case was misguided probably fuelled by the parent company wanting a brand that could be used across all its markets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

I’m a bit confused as to how that would even have worked. Now I can understand why a Sky basic package subscriber might choose to go down the route of a separate Now TV sub for sports or movies (often much cheaper than on Sky) but presumably, that wasn’t really what was being talked about here. If presumably the passes made available on a bundled basis would have been the same channels that the person had in their Sky sub, the only benefit would have been that Sky still (in this day and age) locks down the Sky Go app so as you can’t cast / Airplay whereas those features are available with Now (one of the areas where Now trumps Sky - very useful for when you are travelling).
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • interestednovice, Stuart

(19-12-2023, 07:16 PM)Rdd Wrote:  I’m a bit confused as to how that would even have worked. Now I can understand why a Sky basic package subscriber might choose to go down the route of a separate Now TV sub for sports or movies (often much cheaper than on Sky) but presumably, that wasn’t really what was being talked about here. If presumably the passes made available on a bundled basis would have been the same channels that the person had in their Sky sub, the only benefit would have been that Sky still (in this day and age) locks down the Sky Go app so as you can’t cast / Airplay whereas those features are available with Now (one of the areas where Now trumps Sky - very useful for when you are travelling).

Now TV and Sky use the same Sky ID system so if done could have given an entitlement equivalent to the package you were already subscribed (e.g. signature=entertainment, cinema=movies, sports=sports) to but this would have been a disjointed experience as the shows would not share a watchlist and it would not be seamless on what was watched or not.

Sky Go is showing its age these days however and hopefully the EETV launch will shake up how Sky does multiroom.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • interestednovice