BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Something interesting happened at 22:00 UKT on the UK feed. News at 10 was delayed by several minutes, but the UK feed instead of ditching it in favour of WNA did an old school stuff and aired 5 minutes about darts with LVJ from Studio C, not the cupboard. Headlines music was from WNA and the intro was that of The Daily Global.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • LDN

I think World News America, at least, still have a standby presenter in NBH. I am more curious about overnights since the overnight shift from NBH has been totally eliminated.

My guess is LVJ was the standby presenter for WNA and was in Studio C for that reason. If WNA had gone down, they’d have got darts too!
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83

(31-12-2023, 03:42 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  I suspect Meghan was last minute cover. The first hour of her shift was covered by the early presenter and Lauren Taylor came on air early to cover the 12:00 hour (albeit with Meghan returning at 13:00 due to neither Meghan or Devina Gupta being seen as appropriate for the BBC One news (it is noticeable that many of those with non-uk accents are rarely allowed on BBC One even when on the early shift that typically covers the bulletin).

Good point about non-UK (even worse non-English native) accents allowed on the One or big events / deployments either. It shows you there is still a long way to go for the BBC to be a truly diverse organisation. There are many foreigners in the UK and they also pay the TV license fee!
[-] The following 3 users Like lobster's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Scratch_Perry

(04-01-2024, 12:53 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I think World News America, at least, still have a standby presenter in NBH. I am more curious about overnights since the overnight shift from NBH has been totally eliminated.

My guess is LVJ was the standby presenter for WNA and was in Studio C for that reason. If WNA had gone down, they’d have got darts too!

That is a good point, however whenever there is London production and there is a breakdown then you wouldn't expect Washington or Singapore to be able to pick up. So I feel if there is a breakdown in Washington or Singapore then you would get the usual breakdown screen that you'd expect if in London.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harryb's post:
  • interestednovice

(04-01-2024, 01:58 PM)harryb Wrote:  That is a good point, however whenever there is London production and there is a breakdown then you wouldn't expect Washington or Singapore to be able to pick up. So I feel if there is a breakdown in Washington or Singapore then you would get the usual breakdown screen that you'd expect if in London.

In a way, that’s my point.

Washington (and I think sometimes Singapore) “produce” themselves in the sense that they have their own galleries. They are not dependant on London. But what if the feed to NBH goes down or their gallery fails due to technical problems?

Does London use a standby presenter (meaning somebody is there 11pm to 5am every day but never appears normally) or would the channel just go to a breakdown slide, or would one of the other bases (Washington/Singapore) cover for the failed one? Or would the gallery in London (which it appears the feed still “runs though” from Richard Murrel’s tweets) just do an emergency playout of a recorded hour?

Probably a recorded hour more likely studio c must have its lights down past 1pm if assuming London is pressed into action, its does have a very strong colour theme for Newsday for studio c which we sadly haven’t seen other then a few appearances by mistake.

Interesting article about the finances of BBC News this year

deadline.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like TheJarv's post:
  • bkman1990, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(04-01-2024, 03:59 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  Interesting article about the finances of BBC News this year
Not sure it's that enlightening as the quoted figures seem a little off. If BBC News' savings plan this year is just £7.5m, that means nearly two-thirds is coming from the Newsnight changes (if they are indeed pencilled for this year) and that BBC News' contributions to cutbacks is less than 10% of the additional annual cuts, despite being nearly 20% of the TV content budget and a higher proportion of all BBC content.

On a side note, very telling that not a single European democracy or the European parliament elections get a mention on Munro's list of international elections this year, unlike 'elections' in several highly questionable regimes. Given the general quality of BBC coverage of European politics, hardly surprising, but nice to have suspicions confirmed.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, UTVLifer

This may be a silly question...

I thought I'd catch up on this morning's political news, so I went to News on i-Player. I could watch Verify live but underneath it had two other options with 'watch live' on them. Are these earlier programmes, or have I just missed that the news channel now has a more flexible offering?

(04-01-2024, 05:17 PM)Imaginativename Wrote:  This may be a silly question...

I thought I'd catch up on this morning's political news, so I went to News on i-Player. I could watch Verify live but underneath it had two other options with 'watch live' on them. Are these earlier programmes, or have I just missed that the news channel now has a more flexible offering?

I think these are the ‘single story streams’ that the bbc seem excited by. I think at the time it is essentially the UK opt. However after it has ended it seems to just repeat the reports related to it throughout the day until someone turns it off. So I think it’s live to begin with then is perhaps a little bit misleading
[-] The following 2 users Like news junkie's post:
  • bkman1990, Imaginativename