BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

From the penultimate Saturday of the 1993-1999 virtual era of BBC News an unusual appearance (from this era on a Saturday Night) by a certain presenter:

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Yorksman's post:
  • AndrewP, DE88, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News

(12-01-2024, 10:00 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  From the penultimate Saturday of the 1993-1999 virtual era of BBC News an unusual appearance (from this era on a Saturday Night) by a certain presenter:

www.youtube.com 

Also a rare instance of the newsreader thanking the sports presenter at the end in the virtual era!

I was always impressed at how the virtual era ‘Over The Shoulder’ graphic could simultaneously be a ‘Behind The Head’ graphic. Cool

[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • arbrax, oscillon

(12-01-2024, 10:52 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I was always impressed at how the virtual era ‘Over The Shoulder’ graphic could simultaneously be a ‘Behind The Head’ graphic. Cool
It was all really quite impressive for the time.

The main background shot was the backlit huge plastic screens, different for each programme.

The 'sidebar' was a beautifully aligned split graphic, the lower part being a normal CSO against the blue of the real background, the upper part with a masked area over the shoulder which covered the otherwise orange area of the background which couldn't be CSOd.

It worked perfectly if the talent didn't move their head or waved their arms too much. Tongue
[-] The following 6 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chaose, DTV, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, Spencer

(12-01-2024, 11:17 PM)Stuart Wrote:  It was all really quite impressive for the time.

The main background shot was the backlit huge plastic screens, different for each programme.

The 'sidebar' was a beautifully aligned split graphic, the lower part being a normal CSO against the blue of the real background, the upper part with a masked area over the shoulder which covered the otherwise orange area of the background which couldn't be CSOd.

It worked perfectly if the talent didn't move their head or waved their arms too much. Tongue

Indeed. Bernard Ingham flailing around on the paper review on Breakfast News would always be the one to give the game away as to how it was all done. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

I was told by someone who worked in the BBC News Centre in 1999, that Studio N6 had to accommodate two news sets in the weeks leading up to the May 1999 relaunch.

He said the new BBC News set was built into the studio alongside the 1993 set which was moved into N6 in 1998.

He told me it was quite a squeeze, but he said due to the virtual computer generated nature of the 1993 look, viewers wouldn't notice that another set was squeezed into the small studio - he said the newsreader could see the new set behind the cameras.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Spencer

(12-01-2024, 10:00 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  From the penultimate Saturday of the 1993-1999 virtual era of BBC News an unusual appearance (from this era on a Saturday Night) by a certain presenter:

www.youtube.com 

I'll never stop saying, that theme music was glorious
[-] The following 8 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • AndrewP, BN88, chaose, GeekyJames, harshy, m_in_m, Stuart, watchingtv

Just stumbled across this special Saturday edition of BBC Breakfast News, reacting to events in Russia. From looking at the BBC One listings of the day, it replaced a chunk of Grandstand that had been scheduled to start at 08:45.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Otis Crump's post:
  • BN88, Reith85

(13-01-2024, 12:02 PM)Otis Crump Wrote:  Just stumbled across this special Saturday edition of BBC Breakfast News, reacting to events in Russia. From looking at the BBC One listings of the day, it replaced a chunk of Grandstand that had been scheduled to start at 08:45.

www.youtube.com 

Who’s that presenting with Jill Dando?

Also it’s funny now watching Jeremy Bowen interviewed at the desk in the studio in that clip, as Jeremy was also being interviewed at the desk in the studio at 10pm last night by Reeta Chakrabarti, 33 years later!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • Reith85

I think the presenter is Paul Burden
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Reith85, Rolling News