Jeopardy

(11-01-2024, 12:31 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Might be seen as "depressing" but ITV has always been seen as a sort of downmarket channel ever since the service launched in the 1950s and 1960s. But that doesn't necessarily mean it has to always be that way - its nice in a way they've done something different, a gameshow that as you say would probably be better on BBC4.

re. it needing to be dumbed down because it's on ITV... Remember Crosswits? The levels of question in that were pitched at a similar difficulty to Jeopardy I'd say, so if Jeopardy feels like it's too high brow now, that's definitely a sign of a dumbing down rather than something that ITV has 'always been'.

I wouldn’t say Jeopardy is too high brow. It has a silly gimmick the UK public would just find annoying since it doesn’t make sense. It’s decided to go fully with the US branding set and titles which just look very odd and dated, ignoring the fact it doesn’t have 50 odd years of history which means the US audience don’t question those quirks.

We can do daytime straight quizzes but we do them better. Countdown, 100%, Lingo, 15 to 1 and Eggheads all spring to mind as really having no gimmicks all successful in their time. Perhaps slightly more gimmicky The Weakest Link and The Chase are proper quiz shows with a lot of questions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Transmission

Well the a key reason 100% had no gimmicks was because it was an early Channel 5 show, and most shows from that era on that network were all done pretty much on the cheap. 100% of course done so miniscule it probably could have been done in a cupboard somewhere.

Whittle had a larger set, though it was a rehash of an earlier ITV show in new colours...
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • DE88, lookoutwales

(12-01-2024, 07:01 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Whittle had a larger set, though it was a rehash of an earlier ITV show in new colours...

Wowee! Here comes a river of money!

You can do anything with that... as long as it costs less than £500

etc.

(12-01-2024, 07:01 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Well the a key reason 100% had no gimmicks was because it was an early Channel 5 show, and most shows from that era on that network were all done pretty much on the cheap. 100% of course done so miniscule it probably could have been done in a cupboard somewhere.

Whittle had a larger set, though it was a rehash of an earlier ITV show in new colours...

And now it's back to being an ITV show but with common sense and logic based questions.

The major problem with Jeopardy finding an audience in the UK is the slot it has been commissioned for. That's not solely to do with it being an ITV show which does make it stick out like a sort thumb but it's the seemingly lack of demand for "intelligent" quizzes at that time that also puts it at a disadvantage. Years ago you had Fifteen To One, Catchword, Turnabout, Incognito... now it's shows with a fair share of questions on popular culture so hardly ITV's fault in that regard. Jeopardy also suffers from being an hour long show, similar to Riddiculous (which perhaps also is seen as high-brow) which would be better at half an hour with just riddles, but what ITV wants, ITV gets.

In any case, I think Jeopardy on BBC2 at 30 mins with the same overall energy, devoid of fun, lack of buzzer sounds and the repetitive "what/who is... no I can't accept that as you didn't say..." would flounder fast. Other shows are of the pub quiz variety - if you tried jobsworth juvenile Jeopardy tactics in a pub there'd be no pub left.

Jeopardy! ratings:
Tuesday - 1.56 Million
Wednesday - 1.43 Million
Thursday - 1.62 Million
www.bothersbar.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Happy2001's post:
  • lookoutwales

(12-01-2024, 08:37 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  Jeopardy! ratings:
Tuesday - 1.56 Million
Wednesday - 1.43 Million
Thursday - 1.62 Million
www.bothersbar.co.uk 

They’ll be happy with those I think. It’s certainly being enjoyed in our house by my eight year old!
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • Alessi, Michael Wotton

(12-01-2024, 08:37 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  Jeopardy! ratings:
Tuesday - 1.56 Million
Wednesday - 1.43 Million
Thursday - 1.62 Million
www.bothersbar.co.uk 

Friday was a bit below that - about 200k below Wednesday.

Otherwise it is pretty much in line with how Tipping Point normally rates.

It is quite a bit down on Deal or No Deal which was 30% higher.

Has it ever been made clear if the losing contestants keep the money they've accumulated? I know it's tradition for daytime quiz show contestants to lose everything, but then it'd make the whole point of winners carrying their winnings to the next show redundant, surely?

(17-01-2024, 05:59 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Has it ever been made clear if the losing contestants keep the money they've accumulated? I know it's tradition for daytime quiz show contestants to lose everything, but then it'd make the whole point of winners carrying their winnings to the next show redundant, surely?

Each day's winner banks their winnings, and they win whatever they accumulate. That means anyone who doesn't win a day goes home with nothing, and winners don't get their winnings from their final losing day, and only what they accumulate.
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Gary Baldy, Larry the Loafer