The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

NFL London Game no 3, and it’s modified Monday Night Football graphics with an odd looking “NFL on ESPN+“ instead of the usual “ESPN MNF”. My recollection is that ESPN playoff games played on days other than Monday have typically carried a plain ESPN logo.

(30-10-2022, 02:34 PM)Rdd Wrote:  NFL London Game no 3, and it’s modified Monday Night Football graphics with an odd looking “NFL on ESPN+“ instead of the usual “ESPN MNF”. My recollection is that ESPN playoff games played on days other than Monday have typically carried a plain ESPN logo.

This odd looking graphic is due to ESPN shunting the game to its streaming platform ESPN+. This is part of their current deal with the NFL, as the rights renewal to Monday Night Football includes a clause that allows ESPN to stream up to nine games (including one International Series game) exclusively through their ad-supported SVOD. ESPN+ is airing both English (called by MNF's B-team) and Spanish (called by ESPN Deportes' MNF secondary announcers) coverage of the game; BTW, this is the first time ESPN is trying to do so. This situation is valid both for the U.S. and Latin America, as that same game (the Spanish-language broadcast, as well as a Brazilian Portuguese one) is being offered exclusively by Star+.
[-] The following 2 users Like Medianext.MX's post:
  • ArthurVX, Rdd

Noticed that the champion of champions snooker, airing on ITV4 this week, is also airing free to air, on Premier sports.

Further to the above premier sports not airing the snooker tonight.

It was scheduled for Viaplay Xtra (formerly FreeSports) although I think they showed the cricket instead.

Noticed that in Scotland v Australia (Autumn Nations Series rugby union) last Saturday the TMO is sponsored, at least on the tv coverage, by Sage. I’ve seen TMO sponsorship on rugby league before (where the custom is to deliver the decision on a big screen with the sponsors logo prominently displayed) but never in union before.

Have ITV only just acquired the Breeders Cup. For a race meeting being shown only on ITV3 and ITV4 it’s had a lot of promotion.

They had it last year and was presented on location in the States.

Looks like they’re presenting from the UK (although haven’t seen the UK team on screen yet), using lots of NBCs coverage. They used some NBC coverage last year but more this year presumably due not to being on location.

Those nice 2020 Autumn Nations Cup graphics getting an outing for the “A” rugby international between Ireland and NZ tonight. Why they were replaced with those horrible Nations Series graphics I’m not sure. The game is on VMTV who have also picked up non exclusive rights (shared with Prime Video) for Ireland’s Autumn Nations Series games.