Deal Or No Deal

(25-01-2024, 10:30 AM)PJamo Wrote:  Maybe a way to get around that would be to have the playing contestant return to the wings as a box opener after each episode, so we see the same faces in every episode as either player or opener?

What's the incentive if you've just won 1p to then become an unpaid box opener for a couple of weeks?

People would expect to be paid the same kind of money that Meghan Markle or Curly Watts' wife were on, which is only fair. Same job, same pay.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nobby's post:
  • bilky asko, Jon

(25-01-2024, 12:09 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Wonder if they keep the same contestants then - should do really but if it's only 20 episodes again (I suspect it'll be more though) the bulk of new contestants may not get the chance to play.

It's only an act of fairness if they keep some of the old contestants who didn't get a chance on the last series in my eyes. I wonder if Brian is expanding his wardrobe just in case the phone rings...

Had no idea until fairly recently that they only made 20 episodes of the first series, we started to really get into it as a family and it became something of a daily fixture. At first I'd assumed it was just taking a short break over Christmas or that perhaps it was one of those series where they record a larger batch of episodes that they split for broadcast a while later. Particularly as only having 20 episodes meant some from the first episode didn't get to have their game yet.

Glad it's returning (bit of a no-brainer given its success of course) but surprised the wait will be as long as it is.

When Noel was host, Channel 4 had commissioned 66 initial shows for their first run, and when it became obvious they were on to a hit, they got Noel back into the studio for film a lot more.

ITV probably didn't want to commit to more than the initial 20 in case the reboot was a bomb.

Of course it also shares it's timeslot with Jeopardy! and Tipping Point. They won't want to sacrifice the latter without ensuring it's potential replacements do just as well, which is possibly why both Deal and Jeopardy! were only given 20 episode runs.

Official ITV confirmation of the renewal today in this press release. Says that it was 38% up on the slot average.

Doesn't say how many episodes, but does confirm 4 celeb specials.

www.itv.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001

An interesting case study in how to take a show that was really tired and knackered by the end of its run and turn it into something popular again.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • bilky asko

The press release seemingly confirms no contestants will be returning.

(29-01-2024, 12:34 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  An interesting case study in how to take a show that was really tired and knackered by the end of its run and turn it into something popular again.

Well, a break of almost seven years helps - I think seven years was enough time for people to have fond memories of the original version, and give the new version a chance, as long as ITV didn't butcher it. ITV did reasonably well with the new format, the only change I would suggest is bringing back the £250,000 top amount

(29-01-2024, 01:35 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Well, a break of almost seven years helps - I think seven years was enough time for people to have fond memories of the original version, and give the new version a chance, as long as ITV didn't butcher it. ITV did reasonably well with the new format, the only change I would suggest is bringing back the £250,000 top amount

Now they’ve proved it works, and (more importantly) is still popular with a lower jackpot, there’s no way they’ll up the prizes!

Maybe in a few years when it starts waning again…