BBC Radio 1

(19-02-2024, 06:40 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  If I were the Head of Radio 1, I would take the following steps:

- Accept Jordan's decision to leave the station and join Capital.
- Allow him to finish his run with Vick, concluding it at his discretion.
- Permit him to appear on Capital on Wednesday without mentioning Radio 1.
- Let him continue his Wednesday show with Vick without explicitly mentioning Capital, but incorporating a light-hearted approach to discussing the news.
- Carry on with business as usual.
- Address the existing BBC and Global rivalry, expressing frustration with the premature announcement of the news for both Roman and Jordan. Roman should have had the opportunity to announce his departure, and Jordan should have been given the time to inform his listeners about the situation shortly after.

By acknowledging the departure from Radio 1 for other projects and allowing the broadcasters to control the narrative, it would mitigate unnecessary complications and provide both Roman and Jordan the chance to communicate their decisions appropriately.

This is the BBC remember, common sense doesn't usually prevail there, as we have seen over the decades - just look at how they treated Chris Moyles when he wanted to leave.
[-] The following 3 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay, ethanjbrady

Ok calm down.

I'm not talking about what's best for the media corporations, I'm talking about doing the right thing by the individuals involved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • DeMarkay

(19-02-2024, 06:40 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  If I were the Head of Radio 1, I would take the following steps:

- Accept Jordan's decision to leave the station and join Capital.
- Allow him to finish his run with Vick, concluding it at his discretion.
- Permit him to appear on Capital on Wednesday without mentioning Radio 1.
- Let him continue his Wednesday show with Vick without explicitly mentioning Capital, but incorporating a light-hearted approach to discussing the news.
- Carry on with business as usual.
- Address the existing BBC and Global rivalry, expressing frustration with the premature announcement of the news for both Roman and Jordan. Roman should have had the opportunity to announce his departure, and Jordan should have been given the time to inform his listeners about the situation shortly after.

By acknowledging the departure from Radio 1 for other projects and allowing the broadcasters to control the narrative, it would mitigate unnecessary complications and provide both Roman and Jordan the chance to communicate their decisions appropriately.

I agree Jordan should've been allowed a send off. However, given how many former local Global DJ’s there are with their own grievances I’m not sure anyone is entitled to be lecturing on Global’s behalf about how competitors should handle hr issues.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • CATV

(19-02-2024, 07:20 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  I agree Jordan should've been allowed a send off. However, given how many former local Global DJ’s there are with their own grievances I’m not sure anyone is entitled to be lecturing on Global’s behalf about how competitors should handle hr issues.

Definitely not lecturing on Global's behalf, just simply saying I hate radio rivalry.

I appreciate it is difficult that he has just left with no on air goodbye, especially as he was such a starring force on Radio 1, but we need to remember he was mid contract.
When Ken Bruce left radio 2 last year he was at the end of his contract and he was already involved heavily with the Piano Room month preparation. He saw out his contract with the BBC although they put him on gardening leave for the last couple of weeks.
Jordan still has 7 months on his current contract, therefore there is an automatic conflict of interest with him continuing.
[-] The following 3 users Like South's post:
  • arbrax, CATV, UTVLifer

How can Jordan then leave Radio 1 if he is still in contract? Why did he even consider this? So in effect, it is Jordan who is the problem here for the BBC. My view is, you have a contract you honour it and then leave.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • arbrax

(19-02-2024, 05:24 PM)CATV Wrote:  That's like me having a job at M&S and then getting a new job at LIDI. Then wondering why M&S are pissed and not giving me a big party, champagne and flowers with a big goodbye like I expected them to. Are you mad.

We all have different life experiences, but I can honestly say that I've never worked anywhere where a person wouldn't be given a send-off if leaving for a competitor, usually with jokes about the team at the competitor being nowhere as nice, etc.

Clearly, there are other factors at play when you're effectively part of the brand and we're talking about an on air send-off, but I guess what I'm saying is... this is absolutely nothing like leaving M&S for Lidl.
[-] The following 4 users Like sjhoward's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, eyeTV, WillPS

(19-02-2024, 05:46 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I very much doubt that if Jordan was still on air that he would have been appearing on Capital on Wednesday.

I agree, bearing in mind Roman isn’t leaving for 6 weeks

I wonder did Jordan expect to be able to announce his own departure and then have a final show, but Radio 1 told him on Friday that that wasn’t going to happen, and he was off with immediate effect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • DeMarkay

Even if it was just the one week, even one or two shows. For me they always go on about mental health and Radio 1 being a family and they've not put the listeners first. It may just be a DJ leaving a radio station and he'll turn up elsewhere in a few weeks but to some more vulnerable listeners it's a disruption to their daily routine and a disruption that could have been managed better.

It's also about showing other staff they won't be treated like rubbish if they take another opportunity.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay, mark

You can break a contract but you have to pay a price. I guess either Jordan or Global payed that price. Cash I mean!

Do we think Global has secured exclusive rights to the podcast Jordan does?

Radio rivalry will always be a thing just like tv rivalry. The only problem commercial broadcasters in the radio world get more personal. Global want to beat the BBC. Reach wise across the board they about 20m behind. But global reach hasn't really grown in fact it's slipped back a little. I think that's why big moves are happening. What is really interesting is Global vs Bauer. Bauer across the board has grown so well in the last few years. 5 years ago it was at around 17m now it's around 23m. If Bauer keep growing and remember they don't have an LBC type station (yet) they in a couple of years time could take the crown that Global have been holding on to for over a decade become the UK's number one commercial radio broadcaster. Interesting times ahead.