BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The graphics look nice on the breakfiller but I don’t understand the background design it seems to be a lot of circles.

(19-03-2024, 08:02 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  This. Pips should be on the top of the hour only, that’s the whole point of them! And gratuitous use of them just means they’re no longer attention grabbing.

Aren't they generated everyday 15 minutes though only broadcast at the top of the hour now.

Disagree that the new filler is good.

It doesn't look good, the transition is strange, i.e., "Around the World and across the UK this is BBC News", little transition into BBC theme song, and some text and images.

There's no context of what's happening, like why are we going from a presenter, to a theme tune and powerpoint slide of news??

And then we break out of this filler very abruptly, "You're live with BBC News".

It's awkward, it's not polished, and I think it looks and sounds worse than Around the UK.

There's no reason why the presenter can't just read it out.

Or if they want to keep the section, just close and open it properly with the closing and opening titles of the program. That would work well, like they used to do on BBC World News before and after an ad break.
[-] The following 7 users Like Rhys j's post:
  • all new phil, Brekkie, Jamesypoo, LDN, leewilliams, Spencer, Transmission

They could take inspiration from the old World look, with a little title screen.

I'm reminded of MDTA's breakfiller mock using the 2000 music where he utilised the cats cradle to differentiate the segments.

Also, I don't think it fades in or out at the moment. That's surely a quick and cheap way to make it look a bit more polished.

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 2 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • chrisherald, James

(19-03-2024, 09:22 PM)Rhys j Wrote:  Disagree that the new filler is good.

It doesn't look good, the transition is strange, i.e., "Around the World and across the UK this is BBC News", little transition into BBC theme song, and some text and images.

There's no context of what's happening, like why are we going from a presenter, to a theme tune and powerpoint slide of news??

And then we break out of this filler very abruptly, "You're live with BBC News".

That kind of strange reading of a cue line without explanation seems to be the way they always deal with this sort of thing now. I'm sure there are probably good reasons why they manage the complications of the channel it this way, but it's usually quite stilted and not particularly friendly to the viewer.

My favourite of these, which I've seen more than once, is when the presenter has had to interrupt an interview to pause at an opt-out point and say "This is BBC News", followed by a long pause, before returning to a thoroughly confused interviewee.
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald

(19-03-2024, 09:22 PM)Rhys j Wrote:  Disagree that the new filler is good.

It's awkward, it's not polished, and I think it looks and sounds worse than Around the UK.

There's no reason why the presenter can't just read it out.

Or if they want to keep the section, just close and open it properly with the closing and opening titles of the program. That would work well, like they used to do on BBC World News before and after an ad break.

Totally agree. The fact that the BBC News channel is now regularly cutting to what amounts to a slightly prettier ‘Pages From Ceefax’, and some see this as an improvement, is a sad indictment on the state of the channel.

It feels like something they’ve had to cut to due to a technical problem or a fire alarm. I bet there are some viewers who think there’s been a breakdown.

Is there a reason why the presenter can’t read a brief roundup of UK stories whilst the international feed goes to an ad break, as they used to do during the overnight simulcasts?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • LDN

Geeta's back! She's covering the Taoiseach's announcement

Following Annita earlier in the week, Geeta Guru-Murphy is now on-air again in Studio C

We now get the filler after world business report for a minute to take us then to BBC sports.

And then we get the filler again for 5 minutes after the sports.

Unbelievable really, replacing presenters with this slide show. I really don't get it.

On another note, great to see Geeta back

The new break filler seems to have new new music already. Much better.

The QR code has jumped to the right of the screen also
[-] The following 8 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Chud, Joeob, Reith85, Rolling News, UTVLifer