TV Social Media Pres Gold

I always thought it was a shame that it was relegated to use before very infrequent sombre events. It was certainly one of the more visually stunning idents of the set.

I’d be surprised as well if, given the location, BBC South West didn’t continue using it in regional junctions.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • JJJJ, JLav25, Stuart

(27-03-2024, 10:41 AM)agemame Wrote:  Thing is, they couldn't buy into another franchise at that point, and capitalism being what it is they were expected to grow. The fact that syndication revenues went through the floor literally at the point of acquisition really screwed things over and left them vulnerable. Perhaps this is the one case where the acquisition frenzy post deregulation would have helped rather than hindered.

Well, they were initially going to sell their archive to LWT in early 1992, which would have had the same effect anyway, allowing it to be owned by ITV plc when the time came.

If only they had done that, then we'd still be able to see their programmes...

Nothing super fascinating here outside of an obituary to Dermot Morgan, but it ends with a Granada ident I've never seen or heard of before. I feel like there's a bunch of late 90s Granada idents that have been completely forgotten about.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • lookoutwales, Milkshake, Si-Co

(15-04-2024, 01:51 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Nothing super fascinating here outside of an obituary to Dermot Morgan, but it ends with a Granada ident I've never seen or heard of before. I feel like there's a bunch of late 90s Granada idents that have been completely forgotten about.

youtu.be 

In all honesty, that completely passed me by at the time.

Think there was some kind of presentation review at Granada in 1996 (around the same time IVC was ditched - and that had been reduced to two links during peak-time, according to Colin Weston) that led to all these decidedly uncorporate idents being produced - some seemingly used a lot more than others.

This is actually a pretty good illustration of the 1998 changes - with local promo departments being wound down (although this was before the NPU began operations), local identity starting to disappear etc.

Yes after years of comparatively staid presentation and usually just a single ident (or a couple of variations) - though I always say it was made up for by the excellent in-vision continuity announcer team - suddenly there was a burst of creativity and multiple idents in use.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

Another one no one seems to remember is "Fingerprint:" - Hand is dusting for prints and finds Fingerprint of the G logo. I don't think anyone has ever spotted Sketch - A canvass with a G Arrow drawn with crayons.

There are a few more examples of this set here on TV Ark…

tvark.org 

I remember seeing one online somewhere before featuring a model railway, with the track configured in the shape of the Granada logo.

It does always seem that Granada is massively under represented in Internet clippage. For some reason there seems to be a lot fewer recordings of its continuity etc.

However some smaller regions are the opposite, there's loads of TSW online for example
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Spencer

(15-04-2024, 08:24 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It does always seem that Granada is massively under represented in Internet clippage. For some reason there seems to be a lot fewer recordings of its continuity etc.

However some smaller regions are the opposite, there's loads of TSW online for example

I wonder if that’s because for so long its presentation was so drab that it didn’t inspire as many pres enthusiasts as in other regions. Border was similarly as uninspiring and also doesn’t seem to have much available online.

I can’t imagine, had I grown up in either of these regions, I’d have a VHS tape full of regional presentation as I did growing up in the Central region.