BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

While I love pushbacks (firm believer that news is about info, not pictures - unless the picture is of actual news happening) I don’t see the point of a QR code which invites us to ‘follow live’ when we’re already watching coverage. Perhaps the QR code should invite us to ‘read more background’ on the website?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 3 users Like Moz's post:
  • AverageOrangeTurnip, interestednovice, UTVLifer

I agree completely. Pushbacks can be really useful but this is completely unnecessary. Everything is repeated twice on screen and the QR code could quite easily sit in the lower third.

I will never understand why they removed the second line of the lower third. Saving 18px of screen space to waste 500px makes no sense.

(06-05-2024, 07:51 PM)TV Insider Wrote:  I agree completely. Pushbacks can be really useful but this is completely unnecessary. Everything is repeated twice on screen and the QR code could quite easily sit in the lower third.

I will never understand why they removed the second line of the lower third. Saving 18px of screen space to waste 500px makes no sense.

Aparentely they removed it to adapt the lower-thirds better to mobile phones and smaller screens. But, after the flipper came back, that argument makes no sense. A lot of information that is currentely placed on the pushbacks could be on the second line.
[-] The following 3 users Like Lec_Ver16's post:
  • interestednovice, Moz, UTVLifer

Clive did a walk… first time I’ve seen anyone do this.

youtu.be 

[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, oscillon

The staircase makes it look more awkward than it needs to be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

He did that a day or two ago when they were reporting on the elections.

Have to admit, I do miss the walk that Huw used to do to close the bulletin. He seemed to be the last person still doing it.
[-] The following 7 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Moz, oscillon, UTVLifer

(06-05-2024, 04:54 PM)AverageOrangeTurnip Wrote:  ...the presenter interrupted a contributor commenting on floods in Brazil. The reason for the interruption? Saying goodbye to viewers around the world. Within seconds, the contributor was asked to continue her story...
Perhaps they should start adopting the WS concept of "hard posts", would certainly avoid situations like these.

They should already know what time the various feeds and opt-outs go in and out, what's stopping them planning around that?

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 5 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, LargelyALurker

(06-05-2024, 10:20 PM)Moz Wrote:  Clive did a walk… first time I’ve seen anyone do this.

youtu.be 

Was also done earlier in the week. I thought some on here might like that.

(06-05-2024, 10:30 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The staircase makes it look more awkward than it needs to be.

The staircase is the best bit of the set. Makes it look amazing.

[-] The following 7 users Like Moz's post:
  • AaronLancs, bkman1990, ginnyfan, Gordonthegopher, interestednovice, Michael Wotton, UTVLifer

(06-05-2024, 10:50 PM)Moz Wrote:  The staircase is the best bit of the set. Makes it look amazing.

Also the staircase naturally breaks up the set into a "hard" part (desk based) and a "soft" part (catwalk). Plus it ties into the whole Broadcasting House newsroom aesthetic that was developed.
[-] The following 4 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, UTVLifer