Premier League Coverage

Confirmed tonight at full time that Manchester City v. West Ham on Sunday unsuprisingly will be live on Sky Sports Premier League.

Do we know yet whether Peter Drury will be working for Sky Sports or NBC on Sunday?

The 20 member clubs of the Premier League will vote on whether to scrap VAR or not.
www.bbc.co.uk 

It's far from perfect but scrapping it would be a huge step back. They just need to implement it far better with absolute transparency - including all decisions being communicated to viewers at least even if not those in the stadium.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff, strollfan

(15-05-2024, 07:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's far from perfect but scrapping it would be a huge step back. They just need to implement it far better with absolute transparency - including all decisions being communicated to viewers at least even if not those in the stadium.

Absolutely agree. In my opinion, the quality of officials in the Premier League is not good (see Luis Diaz's "offside" goal, or a foul on Erling Haaland being pulled back for a free kick, whilst Haaland had already played Jack Grealish through on goal) and if they got people who could use it correctly, I think VAR could be very useful.

(15-05-2024, 07:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's far from perfect but scrapping it would be a huge step back. They just need to implement it far better with absolute transparency - including all decisions being communicated to viewers at least even if not those in the stadium.
The PL itself cannot majorly increase that as it’s covered by the IFAB.

(14-05-2024, 10:12 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Confirmed tonight at full time that Manchester City v. West Ham on Sunday unsuprisingly will be live on Sky Sports Premier League.

Do we know yet whether Peter Drury will be working for Sky Sports or NBC on Sunday?

Liverpool v. Wolves and Chelsea v. Bournemouth also to be live on Sky on Sunday, and, as mentioned elsewhere, Arsenal v. Everton will be live on TNT Sports.

So, quite awkwardly, the title race will be split between the two channels. The two other matches to be shown focus by Sky focus on the race for the minor European places in the case of Chelsea, and an official dead rubber for Liverpool, though it will be the farewell game of Jurgen Klopp. I don't think the farewell games of Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger for example were shown live, but I wouldn't imagine that there was space in the selections for a dead rubber in those seasons.

Fergussons final game wasn’t I think shown by Sky, as United had already won the title and there were other interesting things going on, but I’m pretty sure his infamous-in-retrospect “Your job is to stand by our new manager” (Moyes, who would be sacked before the next season was out) speech was broadcast live if not by Sky then somewhere else. (Could have been Setanta Ireland mind).

Edit: I may be confusing his last home game, which may I think was live, with his actual last game, which was away and after they had already won the title,
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR

Is this the first time a final day match involving a title contender has been on Sky? Usually if the secondary broadcaster has shown a final day match they're left with a relegation game or dead rubber.

Think this is the final season without all last day matches being broadcast as they're finally included in the new deal. Baffling they were not last time when the four midweek rounds had all matches included.

(16-05-2024, 07:23 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Fergussons final game wasn’t I think shown by Sky, as United had already won the title and there were other interesting things going on, but I’m pretty sure his infamous-in-retrospect “Your job is to stand by our new manager” (Moyes, who would be sacked before the next season was out) speech was broadcast live if not by Sky then somewhere else. (Could have been Setanta Ireland mind).

Edit: I may be confusing his last home game, which may I think was live, with his actual last game, which was away and after they had already won the title,

Yeah, I think his final home game was live, with the trophy presentation and the speech following it. Apparently that was the Sunday 4pm game against Swansea on Matchweek 37, though I thought I recall watching it on Final Score - which is definitely wrong! The final game was a 5-5 draw away to West Brom. Sky showed two games that day, focusing on Champions League qualification for Arsenal or Tottenham. Relegation had already been sorted the previous week with Wigan famously winning the FA Cup and then getting relegated the following midweek.

sport-onthebox.com 

(16-05-2024, 07:31 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is this the first time a final day match involving a title contender has been on Sky? Usually if the secondary broadcaster has shown a final day match they're left with a relegation game or dead rubber.

Think this is the final season without all last day matches being broadcast as they're finally included in the new deal. Baffling they were not last time when the four midweek rounds had all matches included.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but the obvious one may be the 2011-12 season final day where both Man United and Man City's games were each shown live on Sky - hence the iconic "Agueroooooooo" line from Martin Tyler.

If you meant "involving a title contender has been on TNT/BT etc..." I don't think so? I think until the last 6 or so years, the secondary broadcaster has never shown final day games?