Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

(18-05-2024, 10:56 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  I'm not actually sure of your point here.

Just because it hasn't been stated that Tina will do Radio 2 bulletins from Salford, doesn't mean it's an impossibility. Equally, there are plenty of other newsreaders available for Radio 2 - so I'm not sure why it's the end of the world.

Equally, the presenter is just a small part of program costs as stated previously. The BBC does have the proper staffing in place; Breakfast has come from Salford for years, and the vast majority of crew (other than the presenter) are employed locally with a lower salary than London based staff. As a business, paying for a corporate rate train ticket would be a far more appealing to me!

As with the Breakfast move, there will of course be a few months of to and fro with travel for presenters. But you'll find the core team will move up North and everyone will be happy!

I'm done with this issue! Like everything else when someone seems to state a viewpoint there is always a twist to the comments or someone belittling the comments. A corporate train ticket still is not free and that would be a lesser than a hotel room most likely. Point I am making is simple why does someone have to travel from London to Salford to read a lunchtime news bulletin. My original post also mentioned likes of weather presenters now jumping on the train too (twice this past week), Ben Thompson travelling for just one morning last weekend and this all seems to me anyway a waste of the licence fee - our money. Whilst I have not been a BBC employee I have however managed a publicly funded travel budget and have seen sign offs requiring up to Government Ministers having to state reasons for their travel and there are no other options and if the travel is undertaken that it represents value for money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MLehon's post:
  • Mike

I have to agree it is an additional expense at a time when the bbc is having to make cuts. He’s in the grand scheme of things it isn’t much, however if you start dismissing too many things as not too much in the grand scheme you find you’ve actually spent a huge amount.

Personally, I so question the logic of spending £1bn on BH with the specific purpose of bringing their whole news operation under on roof only to now send one bulletin up north. It also brings into question the money spent on B. You could have kept E&C and have one for news channel and one for the bbc one bulletins.

Talking of touch screens, does that massive one in B get used as a touch screen. I do get the feeling that the bbc does love a shiney bit of tech but novelty soon wears off. One thing they also say whenever they add this new tech or change a studio is it will make story telling more interesting and the news will be more dynamic. After a few weeks they are back behind the desk again. I think at the end of the day you don’t need all this fancy tech.

I also have to agree the standard for what passes as news now has really dropped. It does sometimes have a more tabloids feel with so many more celebrity stories making it into a bulletin.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 8 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, kookaburra, Mike, MLehon, Stuart, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(19-05-2024, 02:00 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Personally, I so question the logic of spending £1bn on BH with the specific purpose of bringing their whole news operation under on roof only to now send one bulletin up north.

BH was not refurbished for that reason alone as there is far more there than news. Even if it was the the reason BBC Breakfast was announced to be going to Salford 14 years ago!

Also some of you don't have a clue about the economics of Broadcasting if you think a train ticket is scandalous.
A 5 minute Skype contributor on the news channel would get 3x that. Surely the losses of Live TV and GB News show you the real cost of broadcasting.
[-] The following 3 users Like cando's post:
  • Reith85, Stuart, UTVLifer

(18-05-2024, 08:23 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Having London presenters travelling up and down the country to do the One from Salford makes no senses.

Couldn’t the launch of the Salford One and the recruitment of a Salford One presenter been at the same time, or is that too simple for today’s BBC News

I suspect they're can't for PR purposes at the moment while the NC presenters drama continue.

Imagine the drama if it was open recruitment and Lucy Meacock from Granada won over the likes of Martine Croxall etc
Best not stir the pot.

(18-05-2024, 10:56 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Equally, the presenter is just a small part of program costs as stated previously. The BBC does have the proper staffing in place; Breakfast has come from Salford for years, and the vast majority of crew (other than the presenter) are employed locally with a lower salary than London based staff. As a business, paying for a corporate rate train ticket would be a far more appealing to me!

Spot on, they're almost certainly actually saving money in both the short and long run
[-] The following 4 users Like cando's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Jeff, Reith85

(19-05-2024, 11:42 AM)cando Wrote:  Spot on, they're almost certainly actually saving money in both the short and long run

I think that some people aren`t seeing that, from the merger until now, we have had a separate production team doing just the one. It didn`t have any sense from a financial point of view.
Now the BBC are using Breakfast and Sportday`s resources to do the one, with the possibility of using them also for NC opt outs doing the morning if they want to do them from Salford.
[-] The following 2 users Like Lec_Ver16's post:
  • cando, Jeff

Just to say our Nicky doing a storming job with this major breaking news story currently.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 18 users Like Moz's post:
  • AJB39, all new phil, arbrax, cando, chrisherald, ginnyfan, GMc, LDN, News76, oscillon, Reith85, RhysJR, Rolling News, SlimyTrain, Spencer, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(19-05-2024, 11:29 AM)cando Wrote:  BH was not refurbished for that reason alone as there is far more there than news. Even if it was the the reason BBC Breakfast was announced to be going to Salford 14 years ago!

Also some of you don't have a clue about the economics of Broadcasting if you think a train ticket is scandalous.
A 5 minute Skype contributor on the news channel would get 3x that. Surely the losses of Live TV and GB News show you the real cost of broadcasting.

To repeat again from my earlier posts it not the just the price of a train ticket I am highlighting, it is all the additional costs of including and not limited to hotel costs, subsistence / meal allowances, non productive travelling time etc. The other point I am making is the sending of Presenters to Salford from London for just one or two appearances only as has been indicated by Tina Dahealy herself as it looks like she will only be presenting the One on a Monday and Tuesday and then at least one of the other Presenters too will have to travel to Salford too. Yes other wider costs might be saved with some of this travel but we just don't know this. There is the public perception of travel expenditure and currently I for one don't see any accountability by the BBC with travel costs by ensuring Presenters are working in Salford if sent from London for a number of days in a row.

(19-05-2024, 04:17 PM)Lec_Ver16 Wrote:  I think that some people aren`t seeing that, from the merger until now, we have had a separate production team doing just the one. It didn`t have any sense from a financial point of view.
Now the BBC are using Breakfast and Sportday`s resources to do the one, with the possibility of using them also for NC opt outs doing the morning if they want to do them from Salford.

That's a good point though highlights even more how short sighted losing a dedicated UK News feed in the morning was. We're always told it's more than just the presenter but seems most the crew were being paid anyhow. Are they now being name redundant? Although there will be the option for opts from Salford will removing the One from London limit thr ability in NBH to do daytime opt outs?

Breaking graphic on the “tower” screen in E.

Can someone tell whoever writes the straps that you can’t win the Premier League 3-1 😂

(Good to see proper use of the pushback to keep the Iran story going while they break away temporarily to cover the footy.)

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 9 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, ginnyfan, oscillon, Reith85, RhysJR, UTVLifer
Thread Closed