BBC/ITV North West News

Not sure about the backdrop behind Roger when he’s sitting. Looks busy.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(20-05-2024, 06:38 PM)southern_boy Wrote:  This post makes the totum look particularly short and fat.

x.com 

As dated as their previous set was, it seemed to really make use of the space available. This set looks tiny and cramped in comparison
[-] The following 3 users Like Bazinga's post:
  • Chud, interestednovice, UTVLifer

The markers on the floor in the corner are noticeable. I note the moire effect Look East has on the weather is present in NWT as well. Does this feature in most regions?
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • interestednovice

Nothing proves a fake view more than sitting in front of the very building that you're presenting from. But I think the days of pretending these studios had a real view are long gone.

I do agree the view directly behind Roger is very busy. It also contains a load of 1997 BBC logos which is great to start off with old logos for a set that should last another 13-odd years if the previous set was anything to go by. Though the way it's going, I wouldn't be surprised if we still saw the old BBC logo being used outside buildings and on screen in 2037(!)
[-] The following 1 user Likes RDJ's post:
  • interestednovice

(20-05-2024, 06:59 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  The markers on the floor in the corner are noticeable. I note the moire effect Look East has on the weather is present in NWT as well. Does this feature in most regions?

When you have cameras that close to an LED wall (particularly near the tower) no matter how high the resolution of the LED, getting moire will be inevitable. Give it a few weeks and they will probably slightly adjust the camera angles to reduce it as much as they can.

The effect of moire in each region varies - those with the ability to move camera further back (e.g. Southampton, Bristol and Newcastle), don't have so much of a problem with it compared to some of the others where the cameras are really close to the set. It's also important to note that having a HD gallery and cameras doesn't mean you won't get moire - in fact, it can sometimes make it become more noticeable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Earlie37's post:
  • interestednovice

Really using the studio well though for night one - and having the mini-jib giving some dynamism to the shots makes a huge difference too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • interestednovice

(20-05-2024, 07:09 PM)Earlie37 Wrote:  It's also important to note that having a HD gallery and cameras doesn't mean you won't get moire - in fact, it can sometimes make it become more noticeable.

Yes a downside of upgrading pictures quality - I guess historically this wouldn't have been so noticeable in any region.

The tower is fed from the top - not seen any other regions do that. Highlights how low that ceiling is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • interestednovice

(20-05-2024, 07:07 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Nothing proves a fake view more than sitting in front of the very building that you're presenting from. But I think the days of pretending these studios had a real view are long gone.
Nobody has been pretending that the views are real for quite a long time.

It's a depiction of their location in Salford, and a recognisable view in their region. It's not meant to be a view from a window.

ITV News do the same with their regions. ITV News Westcountry (South) is from Bristol, but nobody has ever thought that their desk is outside the 'Royal Albert Bridge Inn' on the banks of the River Tamar in Plymouth with the two bridges behind them. Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • TJTSW

A BTS look 'for the Pres Cafe fans' from Russell Sheath

x.com 
[-] The following 9 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, chaose, harshy, interestednovice, itsrobert, Spencer, Steve in Pudsey, Stuart, TVHead

They have lots a spare space for a bigger set but have decided to make it smaller, assuming to match the other regions.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chud's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Stuart, UTVLifer