The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

DAZN launch 10 free channels, including a PDC Darts channel and two boxing channels.

insidersport.com 

That prompts the question about whether BOX Nation is still going - that was thrown in with BT Sport and Premier Sport previously but has it survived the transition to TNT and changes at Premier and Viaplay?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

It bit the dust in December 2022 - shortly after the Viaplay takeover of Premier’s UK operations. However it had been essentially a zombie channel for ages, I think the last live event was April 2022 but even before that what little live boxing they had in its last couple of years of operation was simulcast on BT or Premier.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR

I think the last time I watched it was to watch a Wales football match, which the odd arrangement meant Premier could use it for overspill which then made a handful of matches available to BT viewers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

Yeah, there was few games on BoxNation in the internationals breaks in June and September 2022, before Premier became Viaplay. It was essentially used as Premier Sports 3 for those weeks, instead of FreeSports being the overspill. This was handy as having access to BT Sport in the June break, some half decent teams were inadvertently available to watch.

During the return of football post lockdown in June 2020, a few Serie A games also popped up on there as an overspill, with BT Sport viewers getting access again.

As a boxing channel, it became a little pointless when BT Sport took an interest in the sport,and the Frank Warren fights moved over to them.

There was an odd situation with BoxNation in Ireland in its last few years - it had been part of the eir Sport pack, but when BT and Premier moved to the new Sports Extra pack in August 2019 it didn’t move with them, and after that it was available as a standalone channel for a while. The deal with Premier was then done, and it was no longer available to new ROI customers after that, though it stayed on the Irish EPG for the entire rest of its existence, apparently only accessible to those long term subscribers who had it before that. Seemingly there had been a plan for Premier to offer it standalone in Ireland but it never came to fruition, Covid intervened and the channel was essentially a zombie channel after that. So Irish Premier Sports viewers didn’t have access to those overspill football games on Boxnation, even though there were no rights issues with them, just because there was no way to access the channel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR

Just looking at the FA Cup TV rights again I wonder if the BBC will be able to show more then 2 matches sometimes, Posters on here keep saying how much the deal is the same in pervious years after ITV well in some years before it was free to air BBC had 3 matches.

(20-05-2024, 11:54 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Just looking at the FA Cup TV rights again I wonder if the BBC will be able to show more then 2 matches sometimes, Posters on here keep saying how much the deal is the same in pervious years after ITV well in some years before it was free to air BBC had 3 matches.

It may happen, but it won't be a case of "if the BBC will be able to", but rather if TNT allow that to happen - which I don't see why they would.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JT95's post:
  • thomash79

Particularly considering the attraction for WBD doing the deal they did for the FA Cup is making Discovery+ the one-stop destination for the FA Cup (with TNT Sports showcasing the 'most noteworthy' matches each round).

Sky Sports will show the Indy 500 for free on YouTube on Sunday, alongside airing on Sky Spirts F1, Sky Sports Mix and Sky Sports Main Event. With the Monaco Grand Prix beforehand, the full build-up from 15:30 cannot air on the F1 channel, hence the opening up of the YouTube coverage.

Good to hear. Has there been FTA coverage of the event in the UK before? Despite its legendary status, I would have suspected it might have been a bit too niche (and in the wrong timeslot) to air on FTA TV before the advent of pay TV and the multichannel era.

twitter.com 

www.skysports.com 

www.youtube.com 

VMTV are in their regular studio for their coverage of the UEFA Europa League Final in Dublin.

I would have expected that the entire VM Sports team could have been on site at the Aviva for the live broadcast of the Final.

Dave McIntyre & Damien Delaney have just appeared pitchside at the Aviva Stadium on VM2.

Are TNT Sports on site at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin this evening or are they at their studios in Chiswick?