BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

So is Niall Paterson's show moving elsewhere?

(23-05-2024, 08:32 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  So is Niall Paterson's show moving elsewhere?

Maybe he’ll be on from 8-10pm? I certainly hope his show won’t be dropped as I’ve enjoyed it so far.
[-] The following 4 users Like AJB39's post:
  • GMc, Michael 18, Stuart, UTVLifer

There is certainly going to be an issue on 5th July with the election coverage, Wimbledon and Euro 2024 football all on at the same time. The evening news programmes will have to be displaced on one of the main channels for one of the biggest news days of the year.
[-] The following 4 users Like South's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, interestednovice, Will

(23-05-2024, 05:58 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  ITV: Nothing confirmed yet, most likely going to be Tom Bradby presenting.

Maybe, just maybe, could this be the year that they use something other than a slight variation of their usual virtual studio?

They always have really good coverage, but have had a set that looks very similar to their regular news output for the last 3 elections - even though their VR set-up has so much scope for creativity.
[-] The following 3 users Like mark's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chevron

(23-05-2024, 09:49 PM)South Wrote:  There is certainly going to be an issue on 5th July with the election coverage, Wimbledon and Euro 2024 football all on at the same time. The evening news programmes will have to be displaced on one of the main channels for one of the biggest news days of the year.

And because it’s the knockouts it won’t be known until as late as three days before which channel will be showing one or both of the matches that day.

I suspect they might not any election programming on the Saturday to Tuesday before the election on either channel either as well due to the split schedule meaning things can’t be confirmed till fairly late and channels showing the 5pm match having the risk of extra time pushing the schedule back. Also means late running news some of those days.

If extra time and penalties occurred on the Friday 8pm match one channel might not have the 10 O’clock news until 11pm or later.

(23-05-2024, 09:49 PM)South Wrote:  There is certainly going to be an issue on 5th July with the election coverage, Wimbledon and Euro 2024 football all on at the same time. The evening news programmes will have to be displaced on one of the main channels for one of the biggest news days of the year.

On this occasion the football may well go out on BBC Two with Wimbledon on the red button and IPlayer- taking off for an hour on the first Friday isn’t likely to mean viewers miss any of the key moments of the tournament.

If it goes as expected the main events to cover should be done in time for the first Euro 2024 Quarter Final kicking off at 5pm. It might affect their pick decisions as having both matches the same day, which happens quite often, isn't ideal for squeezing in news coverage, but then a short bulletin between them or the late news off the back of the evening match could reach a pretty big audience.

I would imagine BBC1 and ITV1 will schedule election coverage through to 4pm then adjust the schedules accordingly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff

I've seen a little bit more on those schedule changes. As above, separate news all day, no Business Live but there will still be Sportsday at 13:30 and 18:30. Politics Live at 12:15 Mon-Fri (including next week, when they were going to be off for recess) plus daily Newscast at 19:15 and repeated at 23:30. It looks like Newsnight might be dropped and there'll be more 'BBC News' 22:30-23:30. So (subject to events) most days the only World simulcast will be 20:00-22:00 and 00:00-06:00.
[-] The following 8 users Like Transmission's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, bob, chrisherald, Keith, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

Will world news take the election night coverage?

Going back to the Election graphics, I noticed today on the 1, 6 and 10 the wording of 'Elections 2024' appeared, the plural was used earlier in the month with the Elections held. And then later on seeing Election 2024 as well appear...