Britain’s Got Talent 2024

(27-05-2024, 10:12 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  There's far too many of those. My mum said while watching tonight's episode that the show needs a name change because of the excessive amount of foreign performers. It's not Britain's Got Talent any more.

Aside from it being a global brand and changing the name would cause more problems than it’s worth, surely it reflects Britain as the diverse nation that it is?
[-] The following 2 users Like iloveTV1's post:
  • Score, turbolazer

Maybe I am not invested in the show as I used to be but I felt it dragged tonight and one of the poorest semi finals I have seen for a long time, I do not care where the acts come from as long as they are entertaining and in my opinion Innocent Masuku saved a dull show

I think the issue isn't so much the acts are international but that they're scouted, usually from other versions of the show. Many just seem to do the rounds now - one act this week has done at least five versions and already performed at the Royal Variety. I don't have the issue with "professionals" that some do but that feels like it crosses the line.

It's obvious why they cut back to just two audition venues a year but it now feels like talent is invited along rather than the show going across the country to find undiscovered talent.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Happy2001, Larry the Loafer, strollfan, turbolazer

(27-05-2024, 10:12 PM)Mick Lee Wrote:  I don’t think it was fair that they put either 2 or 3 golden buzzer acts in the same night…basically setting them up to fail.

Even during years when there were only 5 Golden Buzzer acts, you very rarely got 1 a night… which has always striked me as a bit odd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ash101's post:
  • Brekkie

I think the whole golden buzzer thing needs a bit of a rethink. It means absolutely nothing as it stands given that every act who gets it would go through anyway.

Maybe a cash prize of say, £10k is given to people who receive it? Maybe they make it a whole panel decision and then they give away a set number each year, maybe 10, who then get some sort of prize/incentive other than qualifying for a round that they’d easily get into anyway.

Right now, and arguably since the first couple of times David used it, the most significant thing it’s done is given the show a couple of viral moments, which is, I suppose, what it’s there for.
[-] The following 2 users Like iloveTV1's post:
  • DeMarkay, strollfan

(27-05-2024, 10:35 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Aside from it being a global brand and changing the name would cause more problems than it’s worth, surely it reflects Britain as the diverse nation that it is?

Whilst it may, I think the issue is people not ordinarily living in the UK appearing on a British talent show. There would be similar criticism if there was a British-born contestant who had emigrated to another country but flew back to the UK just to appear on the show. In both cases, the question from those viewers would be "why can't they appear on their country's version of Got Talent instead?".

Aside from the fact they probably have, viewers don't get to see all the auditions and have this idea that someone just as talented and more deserving of taking part is losing out. There probably isn't but mostly because I don't think they applied as they don't want/need BGT to get where they want to be. Nor does anyone realistically but the foreign acts that get asked to be on the show have a different outlook and possibly see appearing on various editions of Got Talent around the world as the dream whereas I doubt that contestants from the UK think that way. Maybe if they did they would come up with an act that is less British and more universal.

(27-05-2024, 11:34 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  I think the whole golden buzzer thing needs a bit of a rethink. It means absolutely nothing as it stands given that every act who gets it would go through anyway.

Maybe a cash prize of say, £10k is given to people who receive it? Maybe they make it a whole panel decision and then they give away a set number each year, maybe 10, who then get some sort of prize/incentive other than qualifying for a round that they’d easily get into anyway.

Right now, and arguably since the first couple of times David used it, the most significant thing it’s done is given the show a couple of viral moments, which is, I suppose, what it’s there for.

They have a $25,000 golden buzzer 'prize' on Canada's Got Talent now

Just caught up on the live show from last night, how Ant and Dec coped with the mayhem of Bikoon I will never know, they must have had rather stressed producers in their ears only for Simon to prolong the agony Big Grin

I was looking on the Internet when i came across a recent spinoff of agt called fantasy league. The judges each put together teams of all star contestants, and battle against each other throughout the series. I wonder if the format would do well in the usa?

You mean the UK, but no I don't think so. BGT: The Champions didn't exactly set the heather on fire and BGT being on too much damages the brand, IMO anyway.

(29-05-2024, 11:33 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  You mean the UK, but no I don't think so. BGT: The Champions didn't exactly set the heather on fire and BGT being on too much damages the brand, IMO anyway.

And also we are forgetting, how in the US, extra versions of a show does well, as US audiences like large amount of content from one brand. This is not the case here in the UK, where viewers are just happy with the main BGT show.