Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

I'm used to sofas being on the regional bulletins and Breakfast which are less formal than the 1, 6 and 10, so it'll take some getting used to.
[-] The following 4 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Ma76, Stuart

(30-05-2024, 06:26 PM)South Wrote:  I do find it interesting they have removed the video from x and the press release, I am guessing they decided something didn't quite work and are making some changes.

The audio (and video?) quality was far from perfect, like I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on a phone. So maybe they removed it for that?

Patience... you've only seen one picture.

I'm pretty sure most people on here will be happy with the use of the various presentation points on screen at Monday lunchtime.

I doubt the general audience care if a few sections of the One are presented from the sofa part of the set.
[-] The following 12 users Like Worzel's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, JamieD, Jayesyn, Jeff, Ma76, MLehon, Reith85, SpacewardAsh, UTVLifer

I think going "sofa news" is a great idea, and arguably is something that could make BBC News more accessible in terms of appearing friendly for younger or harder to reach demographics. There is a reason programmes like Newscast are regularly in the top listened to programmes in the under 35 bracket. Conversational, relaxed and chatty but yet informed, unbiased and with expert analysis is, in my view, exactly what is needed right now. I also think the set looks brilliant in the BBC News branding too. Very excited to see what's coming up.
[-] The following 3 users Like AverageOrangeTurnip's post:
  • arbrax, bkman1990, Jeff

To be fair, it's not so much a sofa as a cushioned bench - you can't really lounge around on it. I'm also curious at what point it becomes unsuitable for 'hard' news to have a 'soft' set. Clearly there used to be a delineation - Breakfast used to start on the desk for the first 'news' hour and then move across to the sofa as things got lighter, even if the content difference was less marked. But Newsnight, which was the hardest of news programmes, used sofas on-and-off from 2006 and many programmes have used coffee tables and non-desk chairs for years now - including ITV Lunchtime News, Channel 4 News and I doubt anybody would say Impact was less serious than GMT.

Plus, due to the single presenter nature of it, you probably won't even be able to notice the presenter is sat on a sofa for the vast majority of the programme.
[-] The following 10 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, BN88, Brekkie, chrisherald, Jayesyn, LDN, Ma76, SpacewardAsh, Spencer

I find it bizarre that they haven’t changed the sofa for a desk for the news at 1 moving to the studio. It surely wouldn’t be much effort or expense to redesign the “baking tray” where the sofa sits & to make the area more versatile. Personally, I don’t like the idea of news presented from a sofa. If anything there’s no cohesion with the different studios. We have the news channel coming from outdated studios which look nothing like the new regional & national news sets.

Adding in a desk imo would have brought the look together. Changing the desk in studio E to one matching the new regional sets / national set would have been a welcome addition & brought in a more uniformed look across all programmes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bazinga's post:
  • chrisherald

And I'd rather a sofa than them stood outside Downing Street or Westminster.

Yes, personally I'd switch it out for a more formal desk and chair combination but sitting on a sofa won't affect the journalistic value of the programme in any way.

P.S. Surely worth having a permanent Salford based national weather presenter now too given this move.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

So with Studio B now not being used until News at 6, could we finally see BBC London fully transfer into Studio B for Breakfast and News at 1?

Surely it's not worth firing up Studio B for the breakfast opts. There is no reason really BBC London can't already use B for the lunchtime bulletin.

To be honest it doesn't really matter what the presenter is sitting on, or if they're perching or standing. You only see them in a mid close shot. Lot of fuss over nothing
[-] The following 14 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Alf Stewart, all new phil, AndrewP, arbrax, bkman1990, Brekkie, gladular, GMc, LDN, Ma76, MLehon, SpacewardAsh, Stockland Hillman, thePineapple
Thread Closed