BBC Radio 4 Pres

www.bbc.co.uk 

Michael Mosley, presenter of Just One Thing, and other health programmes and podcasts for Radio 4 and various programmes for BBC TV is currently missing.

Thoughts are with his family, hoping he gets found safe and well; listened to him only this morning.

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 2 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • ACTV, Spencer

The worst of news confirmed this morning, that a body has been found in the search for Michael Mosley.
www.bbc.co.uk 

www.reuters.com 

I'm sure we all join in our sympathies for his family.
He had an unparalleled charm and warmth with his own inimitable style, and leaves a lasting gap in the schedules that will never be truly filled.

[-] The following 4 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • ACTV, chem0026, JJJJ, scottishtv

Very sad news. I’ve listened to Just One Thing since it’s launch back in the days of Covid, and I’ve no doubt it’s made a genuine difference to many people’s lives, mine included. Michael’s warmth, enthusiasm and genuine interest in each topic covered was clearly the key to its success. A real loss to broadcasting, and of course a tragedy for his family.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, DE88, scottishtv

www.bbc.co.uk 

The final 'new' Mosley programme, the last interview he conducted before his untimely passing, will be broadcast on Radio 4 this morning at eleven o'clock.

This will be followed later tonight at eight o'clock by an obituary programme on BBC One.
www.bbc.co.uk 

[-] The following 2 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • Spencer, Toby brown

Was wondering today why they don’t reduce the number of pips to three. B… B… CCCCC would be perfect audio branding.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

You'd love the BBC on short wave then!
www.youtube.com 

Although I've noticed fewer and fewer services are using the classic signal, with newer services instead opting for a more modern one, which is the same as used on the on-line language streams:
up.metropol247.co.uk 

Here's my own recording from the BBC Burmese Service taken a few years ago, from the greatly missed BBC Far Eastern Relay Station in Kranji which stopped operating last year:
up.metropol247.co.uk 

I've not actually DX'd in a long while, I must get back into it before SW services reduce even further!

[-] The following 1 user Likes AndrewP's post:
  • Snop

BBC1 also used the "B-B-C" notes as their own jingle in the late 60s, composed (I believe) by Ronnie Hazelhurst. Proof if any is needed that BBC1 did have ident music before the Balloon.

youtu.be 

(22-06-2024, 12:00 AM)ACTV Wrote:  BBC1 also used the "B-B-C" notes as their own jingle in the late 60s, composed (I believe) by Ronnie Hazelhurst. Proof if any is needed that BBC1 did have ident music before the Balloon.
Compose? It's only 3 notes in a pre defined order, is that composing?

Of course BBC Local Radio has a B B C motif in its jingles (although I'm not musical, not sure if it is actually the notes B B C)
reelworld.com 

(22-06-2024, 06:43 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Compose? It's only 3 notes in a pre defined order, is that composing?
More accurately, arranged.

Mod: Snip.

(22-06-2024, 06:43 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Compose? It's only 3 notes in a pre defined order, is that composing?

Of course BBC Local Radio has a B B C motif in its jingles (although I'm not musical, not sure if it is actually the notes B B C)
reelworld.com 

I guess the composing part is looking at things like how you space out the notes and the instruments chosen rather than just the notes themselves.

The visual equivalent would be that there's more to the BBC logo than just putting 3 letters together onscreen.

TV Whirl - Since 2001
[-] The following 3 users Like TesTVWhirl's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, Stooky Bill