Sky News

Sky News being SD only on satellite for non Sky HD subscribers is looking increasingly anomalous now.

We've got News and Arts available to all with cable now, while stablemate CNBC has been FTA HD for some time. There's now also fellow Sky FTA channel Sky Mix available in HD in satellite.

It's not even as if Sky refuse to give away it's news in HD. It's already available on YouTube and Now without a sub.

(21-06-2024, 11:01 AM)lhx1985 Wrote:  Sky News being SD only on satellite for non Sky HD subscribers is looking increasingly anomalous now.

We've got News and Arts available to all with cable now, while stablemate CNBC has been FTA HD for some time. There's now also fellow Sky FTA channel Sky Mix available in HD in satellite.

It's not even as if Sky refuse to give away it's news in HD. It's already available on YouTube and Now without a sub.

It is exceptionally irritating now. Watching stuff in SD these days is so jarring considering I watch so little away from the main five and the streamers. I've been watching a lot more Sky News during the election run up and the SD quality has genuinely been a distraction. Don't really want to have to watch it on Youtube, especially on election night when it will be a good minute behind the TV broadcast. No one's specifically getting an HD subscription just to watch Sky News in HD so why not save on the cost of the SD channel by scrapping it like they have with the movie and sports channels?

Ouch, I didn't realise Sky News wasn't HD on Sky itself, we've had it on Virgin for years! In fact it seems odd the SD version hung around as well for so long considering every other SD simulcast closed ages ago (apart from Sky Arts, strangely, which was still there until recently).

(21-06-2024, 12:25 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Ouch, I didn't realise Sky News wasn't HD on Sky itself, we've had it on Virgin for years! In fact it seems odd the SD version hung around as well for so long considering every other SD simulcast closed ages ago (apart from Sky Arts, strangely, which was still there until recently).

It's only SD only on Sky if you don't have the HD pack. Sky Stream/Glass has Sky News in HD as default.

You still need to have an "HD pack" on Sky?

One of the main reasons I don’t watch Sky News is it’s not available in HD on Freeview. Saying that neither is BBC News.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

Does anyone have an email address for the technical team at Sky News? For the last couple of weeks on their YouTube channel ads have been interrupting the programming, where previously they would only play out during a commercial break.

I find it a bit strange that the background of Sunday Morning with Trevor Phillips is still set in winter - no leaves on the trees! Obviously not created a summer animated backdrop yet as it seems to be a wider angle than Politics Hub.