Paris 2024 Summer Olympics

Still four years for things to change again - will they still have the marathon on the last day as is tradition?

Not sure swimming really benefits from being in an oversized stadium but with things looking like they really will be scaled back for 2032 in Brisbane (Athletics might be in a stadium with as few as 30,000 seats) it's somewhat surprising to see something go the other way. I think gymnastics and swimming have long been the flagship events for the US.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • rkolsen

NBC have revealed more details of the structure of their primetime show Primetime in Paris, hosted by Mike Tirico with reporter Snoop Dogg from the Trocadero.

www.nbcsports.com 

In other recent updates, NBC have announced that there will be Closed Captioning on all English and Spanish commentary, as well as increased Audio Description and Web Content Accessibility available.

There will be personalised daily recaps available on peacock, with AI Al Michales voicing them.

The full NBC commentary and punditry line-up. There is a lot of people, some people might even say too many people involved at some points. Team USA would have topped the medal table in the 2021 Olympics. Kelly Clarkson and Jimmy Fallon among the non-Olympians featuring (both on the ceremonies).

www.nbcsports.com 

Elmo, Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby, and Tango from Sesame Street will be part of NBCU's social media content.
Legendary press release content from that announcment.
Quote:“Elmo is very excited to go to Paris to cheer on all the athletes at the Olympics,” said Elmo. “And Elmo is also excited to do a little sightseeing. Elmo can’t wait to get an eyeful of the Tower. Get it? Eyeful Tower! Hee hee hee. Paris, here we come! Gooooo teams!”

“Me love sports almost as much as me love cookies!” added Cookie Monster. “Me so excited about all da events, but especially da discus throw. Dat one really look delicious.”

“I just can’t wait to get to Paree! (That’s how you pronounce it, Elmo.) It’s going to be MAGICAL!” said Abby.

www.nbcsports.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Bungo Bill, Medianext.MX

Is Closed Captioning (subtitles) not the norm then for sport in the US?

Snoop Dogg reporting just highlights how different the NBC approach is to virtually anywhere. It can work well though - Johnny Vegas was a standout on the 2016 Paralympics immersing himself in it, though of course that was largely confined to The Last Leg.

(26-06-2024, 08:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is Closed Captioning (subtitles) not the norm then for sport in the US?

Snoop Dogg reporting just highlights how different the NBC approach is to virtually anywhere. It can work well though - Johnny Vegas was a standout on the 2016 Paralympics immersing himself in it, though of course that was largely confined to The Last Leg.

I don't think the primetime show will have any live coverage because of timezones, so I don't mind that it's a bit more 'accessible' with Snoop Dogg involved. He was at the track and field trials on the weekend with NBC, and I think his involvements went down well generally. He's no Steve Cram, but I might have heard worse.

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(26-06-2024, 08:18 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  There will be personalised daily recaps available on peacock, with AI Al Michales voicing them.

Here’s a closer look at the project. It looks like it will be limited to web browsers and Apple devices.

www.nbcsports.com 

Colin Jost from SNL is reporting surfing for the event. Jost, a surfer, is serving as roving reporter.

www.nbcsports.com 

Further to the strong celebrity presence, Steven Spielberg will star and narrate a short film for the Opening Ceremony cold open, using Industrial Light and Magic virtual soundstage technology:

www.nbcsports.com 

Alongside a traditional simulcast of selected events on AMC theatres in the US, NBC is bringing its own live telecast of the Opening Ceremony to selected IMAX theaters:

www.nbcsports.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • RhysJR

Colin Jost got himself a paid holiday in Tahiti then. We might end up seeing a bit of that on the BBC with their limited rights as it's happening overnight so may end up on the red button stream, although personally I'd rather they aired content they couldn't air earlier through to the early hours, focusing on medal events - although their might be an "Olympics Extra" programme on BBC2 or BBC3 after the main highlights on BBC1 which does that sort of thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Medianext.MX

Might as well put in on BBC Two or One overnight and allow the Red Button stream to do extended replays through the down time like it has done in the recent games in Asia. They are allowed two streams so that would utilise that.

Thinking of that, with a month to go we should be expecting the BBC and Eurosport press releases soon. Both had been published this week three years ago.

Eurosport have announced a new doccumntary on Olympic sports that have taken place on August 4th.

www.eurosport.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Medianext.MX

NBC (which has already provided closed captioning / subtitles as you call them) is going to provide live captioning for all sports including those on Peacock for the first time. Additionally audio description will be provided all day on NBC (day,prime,late) and it’s included on their Gold Zone service on Peacock.

The games in addition to being on NBC & Telemundo will be on USA Network, E!, CNBC, GOLF Channel and Universo (Spanish).

www.nbcsports.com 

They have caveat coverage that’s Im sure they’re only promoting Xfinity products.

www.nbcsports.com 

Quote: of this audio description and closed captioning will be available to Comcast Xfinity customers who experience the Games on the Xfinity X1 platform, including on the live Olympic Games coverage delivered in 4K, on Xfinity Stream, and on Xfinity Flex.

However in 2022 most stations are offered via Comcast, handful via Fios and Altice. All are carried on YouTubeTV
[-] The following 1 user Likes rkolsen's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(26-06-2024, 09:30 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Thinking of that, with a month to go we should be expecting the BBC and Eurosport press releases soon. Both had been published this week three years ago.

Here's the BBC press release, complete with the trailer:
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • Reith85, RhysJR

Brilliant!

So the BBC One schedule:
Morning: Jeanette Kwayke/JJ Chalmers
Afternoon: Hazel Irvine
Evening: Gabby Logan and Clare Balding
Highlights: Mark Chapman and Isa Guha

Surprised they split up the Chalmers/Guha partnership from Birmingham, but very pleased that means JJ is presenting live coverage and we also get Mark Chapman on the TV. Not sure why the morning shift is double headed like it was in Birmingham; maybe Jeanette will present from the athletics in the second week and JJ likewise at the swimming in the first week? Good to see that Gabby and Clare will be at the venues of the swimming and athletics in the evenings. The 2012 approach of having Gary and Clare/John anchoring in the venings felt a bit disjointed in 2012, and the atmosphere inside the stadia is preferable to a studio, as was demonstrated in 2021 amongst others.

Fred Sirieix is hardly Kelly Clarkson, Snoop Dogg or Cookie Monster when it comes to random celebrity contributor! Worth noting, that although on first glance he is a random non-athlete in amongst the pundits, his daughter is Team GB diver.

5 Live's line-up:
10:00-13:00: Naga Munchetty/Adrian Chiles
13:00-15:30: Mark Chapman in a café
15:30-18:30: Tony Livesey and Eleanor Oldroyd
18:30-: Kelly Cates

On the commentary front, it's great to see Chris Hoy listed after his recent health struggles. Hopefully he will be well enough to contribute in full. Confirmation, as suspected from previous assignments, that Gary Herbert has left the rowing commentary, with Katie Smith in that role. Nobody gets the gig in Tahiti. Sam Smith and Simon Reed get my favourite assignment of tennis, table tennis and badminton. Simon one of two Eurosport regulars on the BBC team, Patrick Winterton of nordic skiing for Eurosport and canoeing for the BBC the other. Simon did commentate on the ceremonies for Eurosport in Tokyo (but I don't think did much else) with Nick Lester the other racket sport voice on the BBC. Ed Leigh another voice who is doing multiple sports.

Now really looking forward to it!!

PS Are there any other French artists other than Édith Piaf? That's three major sporting events in France in the last eight years where one British broadcaster has used her as their theme (BBC at Euro 2016 and ITV at 2023 Rugby World Cup).
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Reith85, UTVLifer