BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

Looks like they had inserts in TVam for the 1987 election.

www.gettyimages.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(23-06-2024, 11:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Looks like they had inserts in TVam for the 1987 election.
As a completely random aside, this was the set used by the BBC for the election in 1987. I think it was in N2, as that was slightly larger than N1 once they'd knocked through into the store room which had a lower ceiling.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald

(20-06-2024, 10:52 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  A nice little promo appeared a couple of days ago: youtu.be 

The voiceover/sound of this advert just played out between songs on Radio 1 Breakfast which is nice to hear as I thought Radio 1 would be the last place the Election would be promoted other than on Newsbeat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harryb's post:
  • chrisherald

Having some election promos / pushes on R1 is a good way of demonstrating public value, especially at a time when the BBC is looking for approval on regulatory changes / wants to make a positive impression on an incoming government.

(24-06-2024, 07:19 AM)Stuart Wrote:  As a completely random aside, this was the set used by the BBC for the election in 1987. I think it was in N2, as that was slightly larger than N1 once they'd knocked through into the store room which had a lower ceiling.

I remember they also used this set every day for the Nine o' Clock News during the run-up to the election, with David Dimbleby co-hosting, and with special titles (although retaining the 'flying fish finger' music of the time)...

tvark.org 

Were there any other years when they did this?

(Incidentally, I'm quite impressed on that video that the computer generated clock on the titles on (what's now) the Elizabeth Tower has the correct time, reflecting the slightly later than usual start time).
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Stuart

(24-06-2024, 10:43 AM)Spencer Wrote:  Were there any other years when they did this?

In 1992 and 1997 you had the "Nine O'Clock News and Campaign Report" coming from a different set to usual, though in '97 it was just the one presenter rather than splitting up the election news and everything else between two desks.

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

By 2001 and the News at Ten they weren't doing that sort of thing.
[-] The following 3 users Like Transmission's post:
  • chrisherald, Spencer, Stuart

(24-06-2024, 10:43 AM)Spencer Wrote:  Were there any other years when they did this?
For a long time, the late news during election campaigns was broadcast as 'News and Campaign Report'. In 1979, this included bulletins being extended to 30 minutes (rather than 25), with longer extensions from 1983, which could often be up to 50 minutes towards the end of campaigns. These bulletins often included bespoke branding elements, though new titles in 1987 are an exception. In 1992, they came from their own set; in 1997, they modified the regular studio to include a different backdrop and had an election logo in the middle of the studio (which meant they didn't do the regular opening/closing panning shots). (As above in Transmission's post).

This sort of thing died down a little come the turn of the century. In 2001, bulletins were only extended by 5 minutes and had no unusual branding, beyond the standard Vote 2001 graphics being used for over-the-shoulder overlays. I seem to recall them adding a little exploding X into the regular titles in 2005, but don't think they've done anything special beyond extensions in recent years (as well as coming from the election studio during the final week in a few elections).
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Spencer, Transmission

You'll note that in the case of 1992, they brought in Patrick Lunt to record opening VOs for the Nine / late news during the campaign - think that was the last time they had an intro.

Lunt was also the 'Voice of God' for the One / Six / Nine when they brought in distinct looks (dropped by the Nine when it revamped again in 1988)
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • chrisherald

I always wondered what TV-am's election 1992 coverage was like, as that was their final year on air, and from 1st February 1992, TV-am had closed down their own newsroom, and handed news provision to Sky News, so did this mean TV-am had a lot of Sky News election material, or did they maintain a handful of journalists at Camden Lock for the 1992 election?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • chrisherald

The TV-am archive YouTube channel has a fair few clips of their 87 and 92 election coverage (none from 83 though strangely).