The BBC Chameleon Thread

Some people at the BBC really do love those red boxes (from a Question Time preview during the 6 O’Clock News).

i.ibb.co 
Web Image

[-] The following 3 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • fanoftv, Ma76, thePineapple

(30-05-2024, 06:35 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  Some people at the BBC really do love those red boxes (from a Question Time preview during the 6 O’Clock News).

i.ibb.co 

Hmm, an accident of memory and association here here... first BBC ONE gets a red flagship colour with the balloons in 1997, then this branding is firmed up with the red-themed Rhythm and Movement idents in 2002 which introduce the red box (corresponding to the boxes on the other BBC channels)...

BBC One hasn't really had a 'box' for a while now, but now the red box appears without any mention of the channel the colouring actually comes from! Some kind of hangover from bygone days I suppose.

x.com 

I hope this was something put together by Mike Parry rather than the BBC.

Regardless I'm screaming
[-] The following 11 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AndrewP, aquadextrous, bax, JJJJ, LargelyALurker, Larry the Loafer, LDN, Rexogamer, SlimyTrain, turbolazer, what

twitter.com 

Just found this tweet trawling through my internet archive, how naïve we were to think the Reith logo was simply just another mock-up made by a subsidiary...

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 2 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • Spencer, Stuart

(28-06-2024, 07:43 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  twitter.com 
Just found this tweet trawling through my internet archive, how naïve we were to think the Reith logo was simply just another mock-up made by a subsidiary...

I mean it’s not like the Reith logo looks like it’s just been knocked up by someone trying to recreate the BBC logo from memory, or anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • VMPhil

(28-06-2024, 08:00 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I mean it’s not like the Reith logo looks like it’s just been knocked up by someone trying to recreate the BBC logo from memory, or anything.
I actually rather like the Reith logo now. It brought along some improved pres surrounding it, if nothing else.

I'm quite fond of the 'bouncing blocks' in trailers, ECPs and programme titles. I guess I'm easily pleased. Tongue
[-] The following 7 users Like Stuart's post:
  • arbrax, AverageOrangeTurnip, Brekkie, chaose, fanoftv, Quantum+83, Rexogamer

(28-06-2024, 08:00 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I mean it’s not like the Reith logo looks like it’s just been knocked up by someone trying to recreate the BBC logo from memory, or anything.

It’s worth remembering that the first time this logo appeared was for a US only streaming service, BBC Select, which shares the same name as a flop 90s subscription service, nearly a year before it launched in the UK, with a lurid green colour scheme.

No wonder we thought it was fake if THAT’S the way you choose to launch a new logo.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, Spencer, TVFan

(28-06-2024, 08:38 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I actually rather like the Reith logo now. It brought along some improved pres surrounding it, if nothing else.

I'm quite fond of the 'bouncing blocks' in trailers, ECPs and programme titles. I guess I'm easily pleased. Tongue
Now we're used to it I find the Gill Sans version looks increasingly wrong.

The only problem I really have with this rebrand is how the old logo lingers on - it's just baffling three years on new programmes are still being produced with the old logo on the endcap when in theory that should have been one of the most straight forward things to change.

You just know that if someone hacked into the BBC and removed every instance of the old logo off their servers the BBC would pay whatever they asked to get them back!
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chaose, fanoftv, JosiahStuart, Rexogamer, Stuart

A case of the old logo lingering on, the Glastonbury coverage ends with the old logo within the BBC Studios Music endcap.

However the correct, present logo is used on the titles and over streaming and branding.

The use of the logo in the centre of the screen for the opening of the on demand sessions works very well.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • fanoftv, JosiahStuart, Rexogamer, Tvarchive, TVNerd, WestcountryTV