BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

hdsatelliteupgrade.co.uk  now redirects to the Freesat website.

BrandonH: Archiving Television Past and Present.

They are making DSat services HD only, yet much of the discussion on this thread is about DTT transponders on Freeview.

Did I misunderstand the announcement? Confused

(23-11-2022, 12:49 AM)BrandonHTVYT Wrote:  hdsatelliteupgrade.co.uk  now redirects to the Freesat website.

What's the point of buying a domain (and a rather clunky one) if it's just a redirect to an existing website? Is there some sort of neutrality issue preventing the BBC from putting the Freesat website on the slate to begin with?

Press release here, the HD rollout will be completed on all channels by the end of April.

www.bbc.co.uk 

No suggestion on here that their planning on merging their DTT SD services into one channel, though I'm not sure why they've launched an info channel on Freeview for what is a fairly minor change for DTT (from a consumer point of view) that viewers would surely work out for themselves rather than stumbling on information channel in the depths of the EPG.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • paul_hadley

There are linked projects
a) to make BBC one HD  to be regionalised  - so it can be distributed to platforms
this is more or less done all be it with some upscaling
-it also move the opt switch to coding & mux still controlled by region
- as Soft opting is needed
b) make BBC B DTT Mux regional
- thanks  to Itv ..........  this will be happening (early) next year.
c) Make BBC DSAT services carry BBC one Regions HD -
rather than adding  about 3 more transponders to add these
- they are closing the SD versions to replace them with the HD versions
and broadcasting on the existing transponders  (may be more in DVB-S2)
d) Make BBC one Regions HD available on Virgin cable and other IPTV services/ Iplayer etc
More or less done months ago

Does this help???
[-] The following 2 users Like Technologist's post:
  • Keith, TVFan

It suggests the roll out will start in stages on Astra from mid-January 2023.

Once BBC One regions have been completely switched to HD on Sky I'm sure they will move BBC Three back to channel 115 in all regions, just in time for meeting Ofcom's deadline for the channel to be in a top 24 position on all platforms
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rex's post:
  • Stuart

Extra points for using a low-definition picture of Peter Levy in this tweet:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • all new phil, bkman1990, strollfan, Stuart, TVFan

(23-11-2022, 03:19 PM)Rex Wrote:  Once BBC One regions have been completely switched to HD on Sky I'm sure they will move BBC Three back to channel 115 in all regions, just in time for meeting Ofcom's deadline for the channel to be in a top 24 position on all platforms
All regions except Scotland!

BBC Scotland would have to move in order for it to be placed there. Ideally, I'm not sure moving Alba will prove any good, as it'd have to sit between Really and Food Network
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

What’s the reason for the BBC One live stream on iPlayer still only being in SD now that HD streams exist elsewhere? You’d have thought they’d be the first to update.