BBC Radio 4 Pres

Is the Daily Service live? Just wondering how that works in terms of 4 Extra previously having been all pre-recorded.

Not the first time BBC Radio 4 Extra has had live programmes.

This time last year they had Jake Yapp's Unwinding.

www.bbc.co.uk 

And there was this of course...
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like Nobby's post:
  • chrisherald, Happy2001, interestednovice, Steve in Pudsey

Do RAJAR report R4LW separately for their dedicated programmes?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(23-01-2024, 07:58 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Is the Daily Service live? Just wondering how that works in terms of 4 Extra previously having been all pre-recorded.
It's not been live since around the pandemic.
There's also been a tonal shift, although I won't get into that...

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 2 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • chrisherald, Steve in Pudsey

(23-01-2024, 06:59 PM)Spencer Wrote:  The Radio Teleswitch service is scheduled to end on the 31st March according to Ofgem, and all suppliers are supposed to have replaced RTS meters by this date.

www.ofgem.gov.uk 

However, I did hear the energy industry has been wanting to push this date back into 2025.
It was meant to be March 2020, then March 2023. I don't know how ready they are for it to turn off but it wouldn't surprise me if it's now 2025
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice, Spencer

(23-01-2024, 08:25 PM)Nobby Wrote:  Not the first time BBC Radio 4 Extra has had live programmes.

Back when it was “BBC Radio 7”, it had quite a few live programmes - so I imagine that the technical capability is still there, certainly.

Continuity on R4 Extra is recorded, unlike R4’s live continuity, although I am sure they can arrange continuity if required (probably from a spare radio studio).

(23-01-2024, 02:56 PM)Keith Wrote:  Given that all MW transmissions of BBC radio stations are due to end "by December 2027" I imagine they'll soon be turned off.

The LW frequencies are being turned off "from March", though I've not seen an exact date confirmed. Reading www.bbc.co.uk  makes no mention of the MW frequency. I'm guessing this means they either don't want to promote it as it'll be switched off relatively soon, or someone doesn't realise it currently still has a MW frequency.

Maybe it'll be quietly axed at the end of March before the start of the BBC's new financial year.
The multiple MW frequencies for Radio 4 don’t cover large parts of the country, so it makes sense to point listeners to platforms that do.

(24-01-2024, 02:57 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Back when it was “BBC Radio 7”, it had quite a few live programmes - so I imagine that the technical capability is still there, certainly.

Continuity on R4 Extra is recorded, unlike R4’s live continuity, although I am sure they can arrange continuity if required (probably from a spare radio studio).

PS: I went away and looked this up, live programmes on R4 Extra have happened even quite far back. An example at 8:08 into the following video (credit: not my upload).

m.youtube.com 

(24-01-2024, 02:57 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Back when it was “BBC Radio 7”, it had quite a few live programmes - so I imagine that the technical capability is still there, certainly.

Yes they had a series on Saturday mornings that was live links between the usual programmes.

All they need is a studio for the live programme itself, no need for any continuity studio or announcer. Other networks regularly mix pre-recorded and live programmes without the need for a continuity studio*. 4Extra isn't any different, it uses the same playout system as all the others

*although go back not that long and Radio 2 had newsreaders who acted as continuity. A friend of mine did some overnight newsreading there years ago and said it worked differently to every other station. Everywhere else the on air studio fades up the news studio.... at Radio 2 the newsreader faded up the on air studio between bulletins. A legacy that's now long gone
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Toby brown

It completely passed my mind to post sooner, but today is the 100th birthday of the pips on the BBC

Here is Radio 4's special programme to commemorate it
www.bbc.co.uk 

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 5 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • chrisherald, Happy2001, scottishtv, Spencer, Stuart